Continental Road Attacks on my K12 tread seperation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Aug 30th, 2011, 8:43 pm Thread Starter

Continental Road Attacks on my K12 tread seperation

So in May, I purchased and had installed a set of Continental Road Attack tires on my K12. They've been wonderful so far up until today. When looking at the front tire, it seems like my tread is begining to seperate. It appears to be where the compounds of the tire changes, right between the hard middle and squishy outer. Any body have experience with these tires? I have less than 7000 miles on these tires and to be honest I'm afraid to put another mile on for fear of blowing the front tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Aug 30th, 2011, 9:43 pm

Re: Continental Road Attacks on my K12 tread seperation

Ummm, last time I checked those tires are not approved for the weight of an LT. Maybe things have changed and they have something new, I'll have to admit I don't keep up on this stuff.

Pretty sure you currently have 3 options: Metzelers, Bridgestones and Avons.

So...... my FIRST LT came equipped with Conti's. They were a bad joke, and this was 10 years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 17 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 5:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by skotlyc
So in May, I purchased and had installed a set of Continental Road Attack tires on my K12. They've been wonderful so far up until today. When looking at the front tire, it seems like my tread is begining to seperate. It appears to be where the compounds of the tire changes, right between the hard middle and squishy outer. Any body have experience with these tires? I have less than 7000 miles on these tires and to be honest I'm afraid to put another mile on for fear of blowing the front tire.
You say K12.... are you talking about a k1200LT?
I've used Continental tires on my Airheads, nice tires, I like them. ContiTwins are the classic Airhead tire. I've also run ContiBlitz on the Airheads.

BUT last time I checked, there is no Continental tire that is load rated for the K1200LT.
Be careful out there.

post #4 of 17 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 12:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
You say K12.... are you talking about a k1200LT?
I've used Continental tires on my Airheads, nice tires, I like them. ContiTwins are the classic Airhead tire. I've also run ContiBlitz on the Airheads.

BUT last time I checked, there is no Continental tire that is load rated for the K1200LT.
Be careful out there.
Yep, that's an LT in his profile picture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 17 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 12:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Begs to wonder 'who' did the "had installed"??

Edit: I just finished going thru the convoluted website of Conti tires and once I wuz able to drill down to the BMW M/C fitment guide, there are no tires listed for the K1200LT. Wonder what the tires in question sidewall description reads??

Last edited by Dick; Aug 31st, 2011 at 1:27 pm.
post #6 of 17 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 3:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Hey, those are LT load rated tires I'm putt'n those snow chains on.
Was' wrong with that?
post #7 of 17 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 4:09 pm

according to a previous post

He has a 99 k1200lt.

hummmm....

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #8 of 17 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

Sorry for the late reply. The Conti's were recommended by the local ex-BMW dealership here in fort wayne. It is infact the k1200lt. You guys are starting to make me nervous with the load ratings. I guess I should have done my research before I asked for an ex-dealership's opinion. Other than the tread seperation, they seem to be doing very well. The rear still has plenty of life left, and I have ridden it in greater than 100 degree weather with no problems. Maybe I just got lucky.
post #9 of 17 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 7:30 pm

"Other than the tread seperation, they seem to be doing very well. "

Sort'a like saying: "she was doing just fine, right up to the crash".
post #10 of 17 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 7:45 pm Thread Starter

I apologize. The tires the dealership sold me are Continental Contiforce. After looking at the spec sheet.... they are definetley not fitted for the load rating of my HUGE bike. So what should I do? Go back to the dealership and demand a new set of tires since it was thier recomendation in the first place?
post #11 of 17 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 7:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by skotlyc
Sorry for the late reply. The Conti's were recommended by the local ex-BMW dealership here in fort wayne. It is infact the k1200lt. You guys are starting to make me nervous with the load ratings. I guess I should have done my research before I asked for an ex-dealership's opinion. Other than the tread seperation, they seem to be doing very well. The rear still has plenty of life left, and I have ridden it in greater than 100 degree weather with no problems. Maybe I just got lucky.
Before your luck runs out, why don't you ping Continental Tire US and ax them whazzup with your situation. And while you're waiting on their answer, stay off the bike - seriously!! And start looking for replacement tires now. We don't want EVER to hear of a rider down because they ran the wrong rated tire. Get in an accident and a good accident investigator will hone in on that aspect of possible causation to the event - then the fun begins! Or ends!!!

BTW - properly rated tires have been known to have tread separation as a tire defect - not because it wuz improperly installed with regard to load rating.
post #12 of 17 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 8:10 pm Thread Starter

Oh believe me... I have not and will not ride the bike until the problem is fixed. Seeing the bulge and thinking of the possibilities has scared me enough.
post #13 of 17 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 8:52 pm

I'd want to have a very serious discussion with the fella that recommended/sold/or installed those. His hiny would be hung out quite a ways should you have crashed. You did get lucky on this one.
post #14 of 17 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 6:53 pm

There are many front tires out there that have the same rating as recomended for the front of the LT where it gets special is the load rating for thre rear tire.

--Thats OK I don't care--
post #15 of 17 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 9:25 pm

Per post from Meese, here are the K1200LT tire weight requirements and then the size requirements:

The front is pretty standard at 58W (58 = 520 lbs and W = up to 168 mph), but there are very few tires that meet the weight rating required for the the rear, which is 79V (79 = 963 lbs and V = up to 149 mph).

Speed is not the issue unless you have JATO rocket assist from a C-130 as your dream farkle

K1200LT Tire sizes are:

120/70VB-17 Front
160/70VB-17 Rear

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #16 of 17 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 12:00 am

I still thank my lucky stars to Dan Martin, as he noted the tires on my Lt.. Were for a GT.
Took em back and the shop replaced for free.. As they should.

I know to really watch now.. Trust but verify.

Mikey

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #17 of 17 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 7:03 am

After speaking to Continental, I'd give the shop that made the recommendation a call and ask how they wish to handle it. Keep it open ended and maybe they will proactive suggest an adjustment.

After 7,000 miles, more than some get on a set of tires, you don't have a lot to complain about, unless you want to get ugly about it. Of course, that's just mu opinion.

I have had very good results on the proper Metz and would not hesitate to get them installed immediately. Some like Bridgestone and have had similar results. The wheels are not had to remove on your bike and most local bike dealers can swap the tires for you. This way do don't have to ride the bike to get new tires. I generally use a local Honda dealer who is close to me.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in