Starter Relay - So Lucky - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 30th, 2011, 11:41 am Thread Starter

Starter Relay - So Lucky

I rode last Monday. When I got home I forgot to disconnect my GPS. Went to use the GS911 on Wed. (just because - no symptoms of anything). I pushed the starter button and discovered that the battery was almost dead. The starter stayed running, and I knew there was trouble. Before I could disconnect the battery, everything went quiet. Well I charged the battery overnight and on Thurs decided to go and see what the damages were. The bike started up just fine!!!!. The contacts in the relay were not welded. Lucky to save $175 for a new relay. My wife said "hope you learned something". Guess I better pay more attention to disconnecting any thing wired to the battery - specifically the GPS.

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 30th, 2011, 11:55 am

Re: Starter Relay - So Lucky

Nice save, Jim. May your luck remain high and your bike be trouble free.
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 30th, 2011, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskjb
I rode last Monday. When I got home I forgot to disconnect my GPS. Went to use the GS911 on Wed. (just because - no symptoms of anything). I pushed the starter button and discovered that the battery was almost dead. The starter stayed running, and I knew there was trouble. Before I could disconnect the battery, everything went quiet. Well I charged the battery overnight and on Thurs decided to go and see what the damages were. The bike started up just fine!!!!. The contacts in the relay were not welded. Lucky to save $175 for a new relay. My wife said "hope you learned something". Guess I better pay more attention to disconnecting any thing wired to the battery - specifically the GPS.
Just a thought Jim but something like a Centech AP1 w/relay would stop that from happening

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 30th, 2011, 5:46 pm

You were lucky that you didn't have to buy a $175 relay but you were even luckier you didn't have to tear the bike down to its skivvies to swap it out!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 5:20 am

It is convenient to have the GPS unswitched so it can be used with the bike turned off.
But, I know myself, I'll forget and leave it on just like you did.

So I have all accessories including the GPS powered through relays that are switched off when bike's key is off. I do have to turn on the bike's ignition to power up the GPS but it keeps me from forgetting to turn it off.
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 2:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Well , I had the the starter relay stick on my '86 K100/EML... twice . The first time it was under warranty , so I got a new relay. The second time I took the relay apart & filed the points & put it back in. I figure I can always buy a new relay , & I wasn't out anything to try to fix the old relay. I then put a Ford car relay in so the BMW relay was still in place. But it acted like a switch to control the Ford relay. The Ford relay energised the starter. I ran a car battery in the trunk of the EML, so if it was a bit low it could still put the Amps to the starter relay, but not the voltage to have it start... I thought I would have problems with the BMW starter relay after taking it apart, but I never did. Anyway it worked for me...Your results may vary...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #7 of 7 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 4:02 pm

Jim,
I am glad you didn't have to strip it down. If you do get into the guts of the machine let me know. I would like to come out and look at it.

Sorry we haven't got together this year for a ride. Haven't been around much. Take care and give me a call sometime.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in