06 K1200 LT Security System Operation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 8:01 pm Thread Starter

06 K1200 LT Security System Operation

I recently purchased an 06 LT. When going over the bikes operation, the dealer's salesman (Authorized BMW Dealer) told me to not use the button on the fob that is ruff. He informed me it did weird things. My bike did not come with all the owner's manuals so I'm at a loss as to how to:

a) set the alarm system - although it appears to set in about 10 seconds after turning off the key - by it's lonesome - this seems scary to me because if the battery was to go dead or the fob to die ... I'm stranded.

b) because I was told not to press the ruff button (top left) of course I did press it to see what happened. Basically nothing. But ... holding this button locks the top case, saddle bags and glove box? (not sure what the little compartment with the cd player is called)

Anyway ... can someone give me a rundown on how the fob and system works. Or maybe guide me to the owners manual that would talk about this?

Thanks in advance ... I've been reading the forums for about 4 hours over the last 2 days and have gotten much good info ... and lots of new lingo ( Tupperware, Stingray ... LOL ) as a former Harley Ultra rider ... it's all new to me ... But I gotta say ... this bike is sweet when you get on the highway .... smoooooooooth .... soft ride ... I used to ride GL1800's/1500's before the Ultra ... and this is very similar ... although I think a little more like riding a bike more gear/engine noise ... a little more wind. So far I love it.

My next question is this bike came with a funky wind screen ... I lovingly call it the bubble ... it's virtually impossible to look through it .... the shape has so many curves there's simply too much distortion ... so far I don' t think it will be an issue ... but in heavy rain it might be nice to hide behind the wind screen like I did on the GL ... especially since this wind screen adjusts ... I'm looking for ideas on the best wind screen to put on the bike that I could mainly look over, but in heavy wind or rain ... hide behind ... I can't believe I'm even saying this as for 8 years on Ultra's there was NO HIDING ... I was always at the mercy of the weather.

One last comment .... My first "ride" on the LT was over 700 miles with very little wear and tear on me ... on the Ultra, 500 miles and I was ready to park the bike and not get on it for the rest of the day ... LOL ... something to be said for creature comforts ... LOL

Thanks for any help ... Fuzzy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2011, 11:01 am

Re: 06 K1200 LT Security System Operation

My BMW dealer will print out a user manual for free. Are you sure your dealer won't do the same?
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2011, 11:42 am
Sit

Fuzzy,

The rough button is the activate button, the other button turns alarm off. Your alarm can be programmed to do different things when bike is turned off. Sounds like your sales guy was not familiar with the LT. If you send me a PM with your email, I can send you a zip file with a scan of the alarm book. I was bored..........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2011, 11:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

Alan,

An answer to your questions,

a) that is the normal/factory setting for the bike. It also activates the alarm and I think the imoblizer, i gota reread the book on the last part.

b) holding the ruff pad will lock all keyed compartments including the oddments compartment, sets the alarm and a beep will tell you the imoblizer is set also. (lights blink) holding the smooth pad will reverse all and you also get a beep and the floor light come on. (look under the tip over wings)

The bubble screen is most like the aftermarket Cee bailey's http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/1200ltsel.html

Good luck with the new to you ride. The folks on this forum are a great source of info ask away.

BTW; you can order factory manuals from your dealer.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2011, 11:10 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply ... that is not the windscreen I have ... I'll try to get a pic up .... maybe someone can identify it.
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 30th, 2011, 5:23 am

My advice - get the manual and also there is a procedure somewhere on this forum on how to program/disable the immobiliser, alarm etc. I disabled the immobiliser but kept the motion detector option (which is set by the second press of the LH fob button). The RH fob button turns it back off and unlocks the bike. The immobiliser can give you grief if you are in a location where there is radio interference, it happened to me second day after purchasing my '05, not good when you are not familiar, a call to BMW roadside assist was required.
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 30th, 2011, 2:33 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help .... I did finally get an identity for the wind screen ... It's an areo flow ...
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 8:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe
.... Anyway ... can someone give me a rundown on how the fob and system works. Or maybe guide me to the owners manual that would talk about this?
I attached a file I downloaded a while back. I didn't create it but you may find it helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Programming the Alarm on the 05 KLT.pdf (54.4 KB, 203 views)

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 1st, 2011, 3:17 pm

I don't think you want to hide behind the wind screen in a rain storm because it is more difficult to focus through the wind screen than it is through face sheild when it is raining. I just replaced the Cee Baily, that was on my bike when I bought it, with a Cee Baily that has recurve at the top. This lets me see over the screen but allows the wind to sweep up and over my helmet. I have used a recurve type windsheild on my Harleys and always had great success with that style.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in