Tupperware Removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By K1200LT_newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 1:58 pm Thread Starter

Tupperware Removal

Can someone point me to pics or videos of the procedure to remove the tupperware. I can wing it I'm sure but if there are shortcuts or problems I may encounter, I'd like to know.
Thanks

Romeo
In my garage:
2014 BMW K1600GTL
2016 Ducati XDiavel S (wife's)
2013 Son's Triumph Daytona 675 Jason DeSalvo Limited Edition. Only 40 built, he has #9
2017 Ducati Monster 1200R (son's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 2:24 pm

Re: Tupperware Removal

Pull up similar threads below for everything you will need.

Take a piece of cardboard and draw/sketch each piece that you remove and insert the screws that you take out. Helps the first few times that you do it.

Keep the screws that are left over for later. I think that the factory hides screws around the bike for fun to see where we will put them.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 2:27 pm

Not aware of any videos, but if you start at the bottom and work up, you'll be good. You could also start with the tip-over wing covers too (4 pieces). If you start there, you'll expose a bunch of screws that hold the top of the silver lower pieces, and bottoms of the big side panels.But if you start at the bottom, take off the front piece, 6 (I think) screws in front, and 4 allens underneath, then the two silver bottoms, and go on up. Take your time, there's a couple'a hidden screws, like under the front turn signals. Just don't force anything, and you'll be fine.
One thing to keep in mind is that the large side pieces, about where the oddments box is, just slip on - upward to remove, downward to install. And you'll need to remove the side wings - three screws if you look up.
HTH.
Frank

post #4 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 3:02 pm
Sit

Check this post out, the template may help you some and if you print it, glue it to cardboard, makes for a handy screw keeper.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...818#post498818

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #5 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 3:12 pm

And some more info from the archives. And if I can find it around here, I have a link to step-by-step removal with pictures.
post #6 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 3:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
And some more info from the archives. And if I can find it around here, I have a link to step-by-step removal with pictures.
Found it - here ya go, I hope. Good luck. Have fun!!
post #7 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 9:48 pm

What I have found that works well when you are first starting out is to use blue painters tape just tape the screws into the Tupperware it also has the benefit of reminding you of the hidden screw locations.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #8 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 11:31 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Found it - here ya go, I hope. Good luck. Have fun!!
I notice how you find the pertinent thread so quickly.
Do you have some unique filing system or were you in bookkeeping. I like that turn signal fackle in the tip over wings that could be addressed while you undress the tupperware. Taking all these pieces off the big girl reminds me of back when women wore clothes . . . girdle, corset, petticoat, slip, bloomers and garters only thing, you did not have to label them as they came off.
ride safe
post #9 of 18 Old Aug 30th, 2011, 1:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cool Re: Tupperware Removal

What has saved me a lot of time, in the future, is to pull a screw and mark the spot with the point of a permanent marker. They are mostly hidden anyway. There are 3 different lengths. So the long gets 1 ' . ', middle size ' .. ' and the shorts get ' ... '. I throw them all in a can, one for each side and go to it.
I also put the torque spec on many unexposed bolts so I do not have to keep looking up the numbers.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #10 of 18 Old Aug 30th, 2011, 4:51 pm

Just did my first tupperware removal since buying an 07 earlier this month. Added the PIAA drive lights under the cowl. I wanted to route the cable and wires neatly and that's the most efficient way of accomplishing this. Not to bad, but you need some patience with process. Thanks to the tips and the pictorial that's posted on the forum as they were invaluable.
The lights work like a champ! I wired the switch to my lowbeams so that I can chose to have them on either during the day or night.

Jeff

2007 K1200LT Black
1971 Piper Cherokee 180
1975 Honda 250 Enduro
1968 Yamaha 250
1968 Honda 90
post #11 of 18 Old Aug 30th, 2011, 5:29 pm

You can mark the locations with a marker, tape the screws to the tupperware, punch holes in a board, etc. OR you can use my method. I have a 12 compartment cupcake tin. I throw the short screws in one spot, the medium and long screws in a separate spot each, then I separate the hex head screws by length and and diameter and put them in separate cups. When I put it back together I use short screws wherever I can and then finish up with the medium and long screws.

Heresy I know but nothing has fallen off yet and it sure is a lot easier!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #12 of 18 Old Aug 30th, 2011, 8:18 pm
Sit

Loren you must not have pets that run around your garage and knock things over when you are working on the bike. I can just see a muffin pan in my garage getting kicked and a thousand screws going everywhere.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #13 of 18 Old Aug 30th, 2011, 11:30 pm

LOL! Nope! I keep the muffin tin on the lift well out of Bulletheads reach! Tonight he left a little surprise on the floor of my wifes office. You guessed it! He got into her yarn bag and tore up some nice merino wool yarn.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit
Loren you must not have pets that run around your garage and knock things over when you are working on the bike. I can just see a muffin pan in my garage getting kicked and a thousand screws going everywhere.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #14 of 18 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 4:51 am

I removed mine for the first time this weekend and I used Loren's idea of using the muffin tray. Here is one more important hint: ask the wife first before using her cooking trays!

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell replaced quick disconnects replaced stereo x 2 installed Trunk
latch kit installed DRLs performed minor service replaced rear shock Z-technic windscreen Wilburs front shock HID upgrade Serviced EHCS
post #15 of 18 Old Jun 27th, 2016, 11:24 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo157 View Post
Can someone point me to pics or videos of the procedure to remove the tupperware. I can wing it I'm sure but if there are shortcuts or problems I may encounter, I'd like to know.
Thanks
Does anyone know where I can find a definitive list of where the different screw lengths should be used when mounting tupperware?

TIA
post #16 of 18 Old Jun 27th, 2016, 11:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LT_newbie View Post
Does anyone know where I can find a definitive list of where the different screw lengths should be used when mounting tupperware?

TIA
I personally don't use a list. There are some long holes that need to have the longer screws but I usually start with the short ones and if it looks too short or doesn't go deep enough to bite, I move to a longer screw. Seems to work out well for me with all holes filled and tight.

If you need a definitive list, you can check the MAX BMW fiche and see what they specify for each location on the covers. OR you could simply read the 5 year old thread you are posting on to find this template.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...tml#post498818

More information

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...faq_tupperware

Hope these help.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #17 of 18 Old Jun 27th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I personally don't use a list. There are some long holes that need to have the longer screws but I usually start with the short ones and if it looks too short or doesn't go deep enough to bite, I move to a longer screw. Seems to work out well for me with all holes filled and tight.

If you need a definitive list, you can check the MAX BMW fiche and see what they specify for each location on the covers. OR you could simply read the 5 year old thread you are posting on to find this template.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...tml#post498818

More information

BMW Luxury Touring Community - Site FAQ: All the Rest

Hope these help.
Thanks, I didn't look at the template. It lists where long screws are needed.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #18 of 18 Old Jun 27th, 2016, 12:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LT_newbie View Post
Thanks, I didn't look at the template. It lists where long screws are needed.
Some people embed their links in a word like "here" in the middle of a sentence and in scanning threads, it is easy to miss a small blue word. I like to make my links

"obvious"

so there is less chance of missing them

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in