I need a lower seat - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 9:45 am Thread Starter

I need a lower seat

I just bought a low mileage LT but I found that I no longer have the upper body strength to control it well in slow speed manuevering situations. The bike has a very nice heated Corbin seat set but I think I would I would do better if I could lower the seat in order to flatfoot it over a larger range of motion. Or ???? Please let me consider your idea on the matter. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 10:29 am

Re: I need a lower seat

I had a cobbler add 3/4" to my boot soles, helped a lot.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 10:46 am

You're literally between a rock and a hard spot.
...and it's never too late to hit the gym!

Your current seat is heavily "dished", which typically inhibits allowing your legs to easily (and quickly) come off the seat since you usually need to move forward to clear the sides. It's also usually difficult to get them close to the center line of the bike which of course gives you a bit more leverage when stopped.

There are low versions of the stock LT seat that aren't dished - you should be able to find one in the classifieds on this site or with Mike at www.BeemerBoneyard.com.

Alternatively you can have a new, lowered custom seat made - just be prepared to spend some serious money for a quality job.

The LT is notoriously demanding at speeds less than 5mph - requiring spot on riding technique: a bit of clutch slipping while staying on the REAR break and chin up position. Looking down will get you in trouble every time. Practicing control at low speeds in a deserted parking lot will keep you from joining the Dropper's Anonymous club.

If your inseam is less than 29" you may have indeed picked the wrong motorcycle - the LT at 800+ pounds fueled requires some serious muscling not only at low speeds but when parking or moving it around while off the bike. On the flip side it is an amazing handling machine for it's heft above 10 mph, and only gets better the faster you go.
Boatzo's idea of adding height to your boots is probably the easy, cheap solution. Try to find a good Vibram sole like the one below with a large contact patch and fairly soft compound. You'll need to have it attached to a hiking boot versus a typical motorcycle boot - which will work just fine since you'll have a bit more ankle support as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Matayur Vibram.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	32615  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Aug 27th, 2011 at 10:56 am.

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 11:34 am

I had my BMW pair of boots re-soled with those and they are better than what originaly came on the boots. The most comfortable pair of shoes that I own.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in