Skid plate really necessary? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 9:39 am Thread Starter

Skid plate really necessary?

I mean, my 99 LT didn't have one and this thing REALLY hangs low. I pulled it yesterday to drill a weep hole and realized for the first time it is bolted to the engine pan, which is aluminum and looks like it is actually chipped where a bottom skid to brace bolt took a hit in it's life before me. If I do take a hit where the skid is that is that hard, it seems the pan would get the worst of it well before the transmission had anything to worry about, and if the skid transfers the impact to the engine pan, then the pan would suffer before the transmission. Seems a damned if you do/don't scenario.

I'm tempted to pull it... any feedback either way?

2012 K1600GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 11:30 am

Re: Skid plate really necessary?

If you're dragging your skid plate, you probably need new shocks. I drug a hole in mine, and in the plastic fairing, then went to Wilbers. Haven't hit either since. Just a thought.
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 12:10 pm Thread Starter

I do have my suspension lightened when my pillion rides, and while I have cautiously had it drag very slowly over a very high speed bump I usually never fret it. I do have a rear shock off a 2005 LT with 6,000 miles on it and am going to swap out the spring with a hyperpro and exchange shocks this winter, just seemed to me the tranny is pretty well protected and if you hit something that hard then the transmission is going to be the least of your worries.

Anyone ever had tranny damage from hitting an object in such a manner that the skid plate made the diference on this board?

2012 K1600GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 5:15 pm

The skid plate was added, after some riders hit speed bumps HARD braking the mounting ear.

If this happens it cannot be repaired.

You must replace the transmission.

I would rather have a lower clearence, than to have to replace the tranny.

You will most likely hear from other.

George
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 11:32 pm Thread Starter

That's true George... I'm pulling it this winter and taking it to a relative who is a welder to see if I can have another made and shave a couple inches off it in design. Seems like it could be streamlined where it's b**ls aren't dragging over every speed-bump.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

2012 K1600GT

post #6 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2011, 7:11 am

If you modify it, you will have to remove it in the future to change transmission oil. They gave us barely enough room to get the drain plug out with it still on.

Ron

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2011, 8:51 am

Need to remember that skid plate is also protecting the Oil filter housing won't take much to pop a hole in that.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2011, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_yancey
That's true George... I'm pulling it this winter and taking it to a relative who is a welder to see if I can have another made and shave a couple inches off it in design. Seems like it could be streamlined where it's b**ls aren't dragging over every speed-bump.
If you modify it, the #1 criteria you MUST preserve is the ability for the skid plate to GUIDE THE OBSTACLE UNDER the centerstand mounting bosses.

In '99, there were several destroyed transmissions from the front face of the centerstand mounting posts (which are integrally cast into the tranny case) taking hits and literally cracking open the tranny case.

BMW's response to issues on new bikes is sometimes not, um, lightning fast -- but in this case, I've never seen them get a field fix issued and hardware actually in the field so quick. This is a real problem -- mod the plate if you must, but keep the original reason for the plate in mind.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2011, 11:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_yancey
I do have my suspension lightened when my pillion rides, and while I have cautiously had it drag very slowly over a very high speed bump I usually never fret it. I do have a rear shock off a 2005 LT with 6,000 miles on it and am going to swap out the spring with a hyperpro and exchange shocks this winter, just seemed to me the tranny is pretty well protected and if you hit something that hard then the transmission is going to be the least of your worries.

Anyone ever had tranny damage from hitting an object in such a manner that the skid plate made the diference on this board?
I had an incident with my 99 LT where I wished I had a skid plate. The centerstand got ripped out and its mounts on the tranny damaged. Infuriating story involving BMW of Hollywood (a name going down history in infamy) and getting my bike on their tiny pickup truck with a short ramp and the cost to me was 3 years on my driving record for having a moving accident and an increased insurance premium.
A shop was able to solder the stand back on the tranny.
All this would have been totally avoided with a skid plate.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in