rough running '07 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 9:05 pm Thread Starter

Question rough running '07

I hope you guys can forgive me. I've been lurking here for several years but rarely post anything as I figure I don't have much in the way of knowledge to add.
I am, however hoping someone will be able to help me with getting my rough running LT straightened out.
It is an 2007 w/ 32000 miles on it. This started out as a stuttering/ stalling problem at low speed on hot days and a rougher than usual idle, so I decided it was time to give her a little attention. I replaced the plugs, fuel filter, air filter, checked valve lash, only one (far right intake on #4 was .005) was out of spec and that was able to be brought into spec by swapping the bucked from another valve that had a valve lash of .007 and this made them both .006. So should be good if but a little towards the tight side of acceptable. I also changed oil in motor, trans and final drive.
Put everything back together and she starts right up but still has the rough idle. The wife and I decide to take it in to town for dinner ( 28 mile round trip) and when we stop for gas I
notice the cap is hard to get off and when it finally does come off air rushes into the tank like no tomorrow. I left the cap loose for the rest of the trip but it still isn't running right.
When I got home I did the canisterectomy, short version, and this made no change except for the tank venting issue is now resolved.
After this, I took it out for another ride, this time without the wife, so I get on it pretty hard and notice a definite lack of power, no nice hit above 4000 rpm, and the top gear roll-on power seems way down and the bike has a real miss or stuttering problem when trying to just roll the throttle on from say 60 to 80 mph.
Back home we go and on another day I pull everything back apart and re-check my cam position-both lines on the end of the cams are perpendicular to the head when the #1 cylinder is @ TDC, so thats OK. No vacuum lines are off, intake boots seem to be all the way on and nothing looks like it is anyplace it could get pinched when reassembled.
Today, I pulled the hall-sensor cover off because there was oil around it and I thought maybe it had gotten oily and that was causing a malfunction, but it was dry under the cover.
Unless some of you have some suggestions for me to try, I'm about to take her to the dealer. My only real reluctance to do that is they are clear down in Detroit and it will be a real PIA to drop it off , and find a ride to and from there back home.
So, any one want to chime in on what I'm missing? Thanks, Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 4:51 am

Re: rough running '07

Hi Matt, I'm not real an expert but I play around with that Bike since 2002.
Did you ever check synchronization, this is mostly the reason of unround, rough running Engine. Should check the balance of the vacuum lines and adjust of the same level if necessary.

Manfred
post #3 of 17 Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 5:05 am Thread Starter

No, I sure haven't checked that, I don't have a syncrometer, or slack tube, but I was thinking if I did end up at the dealers with it I would have them check that for me. I've wanted to buy one of those things for years and never have. Maybe now would be a good time.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it, Matt

post #4 of 17 Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 5:47 am

Matt,

Just prior to my fuel pump failure, my LT ran just like that. I actually rode it for about 3 days like that until it died completely.

It surprised me because I thought a fuel pump would either work or not work at all. The lack of power at higher RPM indicates a fuel delivery problem to me.

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #5 of 17 Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 6:42 am

If the problem is always there at medium and high RPM, I would look at fuel related components: dirty injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator. It is possible to check the last 2 items (pump and regulator) by installing a fuel pressure gauge with a "T" on each side of the fuel lines (pressure side goes to the most forward hose on the fuel rail of the injectors). The correct pressure reading is documented in the Clymer manual as 50 PSI.

If the problem is mainly at low RPM:
1) You have already eliminated the charcoal canister problems,

2) It would appear you have also eliminated many of the vacuum leaks issues, but some are more subtle, like the 4-into-1 rubber crankcase breather AND the O-ring under the intake manifolds (between manifolds and cylinder-head)

3) The last item I would check is the coolant temperature sensor. It is located and attached to the number 4 cylinder head (rearmost). There has been a few threads here during the last 12 months with similar symptoms solved with its replacement. Without the dealers computer or a GS-911 you can follow the wire (under the seat, left side) and check its value at the connector with an Ohmmeter.

At 70 F (21 C) the reading should be 2500 Ohms (+- 100)
At 86 F (30 C) the reading should be 1760 Ohms (+- 100)
At 220 F (105 C) the reading should be 187 Ohms

The last value above (220 F) is the temperature at which the ECU (Motronic) will start the radiator fans. The concept is that the resistance should diminish as the temperature of the engine increases - otherwise the ECU continues to feed the injectors a mixture that is too rich.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 95,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #6 of 17 Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 7:27 am

Check the plug wires.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President of

post #7 of 17 Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 7:28 am

May be a fuel volume issue. I've run into similar symptoms on other fuel injection systems where a restriction of some sort restricts intake into the pump. Its able to develop the necessary pressure to run but not the necessary volume to handle the higher throttle settings.

I'd pull the fuel pump and look for any kind of obstruction on the intake side. Make sure the strainer hasn't collapsed during the time the tank wasn't venting. While you have the pump out I'd test it by hooking some leads to the terminals and placing it in a bucket of fuel and observing the output (be sure to make the final connection at the battery used to power the pump, you don't want any sparks near the fuel). Look for a strong steady stream of output.

Last edited by giarcg; Aug 23rd, 2011 at 7:46 am.
post #8 of 17 Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

I'd like to give all of you a big thanks. I never would have thought to look into the coolant temp
sensor, and I think I will check that even before the fuel delivery issue as I will need to get a
suitable gauge set-up to check the fuel pressure.
One more question though, If I check the fuel pressure with the engine running that should answer the question of adequate volume along with having enough pressure wouldn't it?
I'll post what ever I find just to pass along the info for whom ever else might find themselves
with similar symptoms..
Thanks again, Matt
post #9 of 17 Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 3:15 pm Thread Starter

fyi, coolant temp sensor ohms out @ 2350 @76 degrees, and after doing some quick math that checks out ok.
post #10 of 17 Old Aug 26th, 2011, 10:47 pm Thread Starter

fuel pressure is 55 while running. Took it to the dealer today. Dumped in some fuel injector
cleaner and it seemed to get better on the way to the dealer
post #11 of 17 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 8:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

I'm Surprised no one mentioned. You might have a pinched the vent line under the fuel tank, from the tank to the ex canister location. don't ask me how I i i know...

post #12 of 17 Old Aug 29th, 2011, 9:15 am Thread Starter

Thanks, I actually unhooked the vent from the tank to the canister and re-routed it down through the same path as the battery vent tube runs so I know we're good on the tank vent thing. Right after I did the initial work on the bike that was a problem & I think the canister was filled with gas because I couldn't even blow into it.
Thanks to everybody who tried to help. I still have yet to hear from the dealer but after looking over the list of stuff we had already tried and me telling him it started to get better on the ride down after I dumped in some fuel injector cleaner, he seemed to think it was going to be nothing more than dirty/plugged injectors and maybe some wet gas.
I'll post what ever it turns out to be for whom ever else may be interested at some point.
Matt
post #13 of 17 Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 9:18 pm Thread Starter

Well, it doesn't look like too many folks are following this, but here's what happened.
Took it to the dealers (BMW DETROIT) and Don, the service manager, rode the bike and when we talked the following week he said it ran just fin. We went down to pick it up today and I rode it home in 93 degree heat with no problems at all.

So, for anyone reading thru the "it runs like shit" posts, you might save yourself allot of drama by first dumping in about a half a bottle of fuel injector cleaner. It seems to have worked miracles for me.

I'd also like to say that even though I didn't require any actual service from them, BMW of Detroit did check out my bike, and were honest about the fact that it had nothing wrong with it and as always, were a pleasure to deal with, so thanks alot to them.
post #14 of 17 Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 9:29 pm

Good news on the fix, Matt. Glad you got it resolved satisfactorily. And guess what - that's the second 'kudos' to the Detroit dealer just today!! Always glad to hear the good side of dealerships.

Ride safe, Matt. Best always.
post #15 of 17 Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 12:36 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Dick, I'd be the first one to gripe if the dealer was bad so I thought I'd outta give 'em
a thumbs up
post #16 of 17 Old Sep 4th, 2011, 8:31 pm

Matt, I have a '99 with 198k miles that is doing the same sort of things . I pulled the injectors out and soaked them in cleaner , helped a little , maybe i should dump some in the tank as well , what kind did you use ? I have thought that Sea-Foam is the best . but what you used seamed to work.
thanks
mark

Mark West
99 K12LTC
ride ride ride let it ride
216k and counting
post #17 of 17 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 10:07 am Thread Starter

It was STP brand in the black bottle. And it was called "super concentrated fuel injector cleaner" and below that it says cleans plugged injectors, treats 21 gallons.
I also bought a bottle of sea-foam which I plan to add every tank or so,
Good luck and let us know if it worked

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in