Has ANYBODY ever successfully rebuilt the ABS? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

Has ANYBODY ever successfully rebuilt the ABS?

Okay, I have read lots of posts on the ABS module, my horse is down, beaten but not dead yet....Has anybody actually found a company to rebuild these? I see links to companies, but I also see as many links saying that the company is a rip-off and the rebuild was a scam.

If they can't be rebuilt, I need a used one, or best price for new one. Please reply with links.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 4:53 pm

Re: Has ANYBODY ever successfully rebuilt the ABS?

It's just a mechanism... It was built, So it can be rebuilt.... The question is how do you go about doing it....

Perhaps a long and picture filled post of a tear down and rebuild is in order.....

I too have "heard" they can be repaired...But don't know anyone who's had it done...

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 82 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 7:18 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

More sucess in the ABS II units with a dissassemble, clean and reassemble. No one has done an I ABS unit. Biggest problem is sourceing parts for something that was not designed to be re-built (by BMW so no parts layed in).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 82 Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 3:17 pm

I have heard good things about this small company in Idaho.. http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php

Jon R.

09 K2009LT
01 Honda Shadow Sabre - Sold
03 Honda XR650L - Sold - gave up off road riding.
Various other off road and dual sport bikes over previous 20 years.
69 Triumph Bonneville - 35 years ago
67 Honda 150 dream - 1st bike when I was 16 YO
post #5 of 82 Old Aug 26th, 2011, 5:45 pm

I looked up the link provided and while looking through their FAQ section I discovered the following entry:

5. Can I still drive my car or truck after I send the EBCM to ModuleMaster?
Yes. All ABS systems are designed so that the solenoid valves in the ABS brake manifold are in safety "bypass" mode when powered down or when the ABS control module has been removed. You will have standard everyday power brakes no different than brakes built without the ABS system.

John Z, is this true of the integrated brake system or is the LT different? Good news for sure if it is true.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_jon98042
I have heard good things about this small company in Idaho.. http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #6 of 82 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 8:33 am
T25

kind of true.
if you pull the computer off the pump, the bike runs fine.
you will not have brake lights, speedometer, or cruse. may not even be able to operate windscreen.
not to mention how scary the residual brakes are even when you expect it.

the module masters didn't mention ability to do any motorcycles. additionally, our pumps are twice the complexity of a car due to having 2 control circuits.

good question. note that i am talking about iabs and not abs2. original poster didn't mention.
post #7 of 82 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 11:59 am

I emailed Module Master this morning to ask about our ABS modules........................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #8 of 82 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 11:34 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
I looked up the link provided and while looking through their FAQ section I discovered the following entry:

5. Can I still drive my car or truck after I send the EBCM to ModuleMaster? Yes. All ABS systems are designed so that the solenoid valves in the ABS brake manifold are in safety "bypass" mode when powered down or when the ABS control module has been removed. You will have standard everyday power brakes no different than brakes built without the ABS system.

John Z, is this true of the integrated brake system or is the LT different? Good news for sure if it is true.

Loren
No Loren. We do not have a separate ABS unit from our power assisted unit it is all in one package and what T25 said is true you just can't pull it out of the bike and have everything else work.

The ABS II units are just an ABS unit that CAN be safely removed. No power assist.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #9 of 82 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 6:59 am

I did email modulemaster...reply follows:::

Hi Allan,

We've had mixed results with ABS1. It's a strange system with even stranger problems. ABS2 repairs have been far more successful. We're in the process of manufacturing a repair kit for the pistons on that module. Do you have any faulty core units hanging around? I'd be happy to attempt repairing those if you're interested. Best regards,

Tyler
Module Master / Circuit Solutions

IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #10 of 82 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 7:51 am
Sit

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER

Hi Allan,

We've had mixed results with ABS1. It's a strange system with even stranger problems. ABS2 repairs have been far more successful. We're in the process of manufacturing a repair kit for the pistons on that module. Do you have any faulty core units hanging around? I'd be happy to attempt repairing those if you're interested. Best regards,

Tyler
If someone has a faulty core around for them to really tear into, this may me a good deal. They did a control module for our old VW Passat a while back and it came back on time, on price and worked like a charm.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #11 of 82 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 9:12 am

Hmm... I would have one but guess it is somewhat long/costly trip to be sent just for renovation with very uncertain results....

Born to be wild so why not

post #12 of 82 Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 7:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

I have a bad ?? 2000 LT ABS unit that I have not had the time to open-up. If you would like it to rebuild or analyze it's yours for the shipping.
post #13 of 82 Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 12:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER

Hi Allan,

Tyler

starfighter --

i have an ABSII unit sitting under my workbench.

pardon me for being self interested, but considering i spent 1800+ $$ on the replacement unit, and 20+ hours doing the replacement myself (brake lines ruptured during the bleed out) i'd kind of like to extract any residual value i can out of this unit.

heck, given current economic conditions, since i suspect i'll own this bike until either i die or the bike dies, having a ready replacement couldn't hurt, either.

can you share tyler's contact info with me and we'll see what kind of commercial arrangement we're talking about?

best case is you get the value of whatever experience he gains for free -- or i end up selling you my unit.

if you do a search on my username, you'll see that i spent a great deal of time trying to find qualified companies to do these rebuilds, with lots of resources and information sunk and 0 success.

to date - i personally have had no direct contact with anyone who has successfully rebuilt and BMW motorcycle ABS II unit.

g.

greg shamieh boof # 93 k-whiner # 83
jefferson, maryland

2000 K1200LT --- "darkside"
75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"
post #14 of 82 Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 8:22 pm

[email protected]
Hope it works out for you..................
Would be nice to have rebuilt units circulating around...............

IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #15 of 82 Old Sep 4th, 2011, 5:35 am

PM Sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinch
I have a bad ?? 2000 LT ABS unit that I have not had the time to open-up. If you would like it to rebuild or analyze it's yours for the shipping.
post #16 of 82 Old Sep 4th, 2011, 1:03 pm

ABS units are not re-buildable. The major manufacturers of these units don't do it - Continental, Bosch, TRW etc. Buy new, or a good used one. Your brakes are important!
post #17 of 82 Old Sep 4th, 2011, 2:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon
ABS units are not re-buildable. The major manufacturers of these units don't do it - Continental, Bosch, TRW etc. Buy new, or a good used one. Your brakes are important!
What evidence do you have that these units can't be rebuilt? The fact that the major manufactuers don't rebuild them is not evidence that they can't be rebuilt. It is likely an economic decision more than anything else. I would be curious to know if there really is a technical reason that these units CAN'T be rebuilt, but I rather seriously doubt that this is the case.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #18 of 82 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 5:04 pm

ABS Module cannot be rebuilt?

Basically, ABS modules are made up of two units, the hydraulic control unit and the electronic control unit. The hydraulic control unit is not serviceable because of blind passages that are drilled and plugged. The electronic control unit could have some suspect components replaced, but how would it be sealed and tested? The testing of the electronic control unit is extensive and specific to its operating parameters (time, temperature, etc). Our BMW ABS system works to prevent our wheels from locking up on extreme braking situations when safety means everything.

Currently, I am a quality engineer for an ABS manufacturer and have worked in automotive quality for over 43 years. Taking a short cut to save a few bucks on a very important safety system is a mistake.

Yes, there are people out there that will fix anything for a buck. They will even fix your ABS electronic control unit. But, how do they seal it and test it, to see that it performs as intended at that critical moment? Look on the internet they are there.

ABS manufacturers donít repair sealed units because of costs? You bet, mainly because of costly product liability issues. Itís your life, your choice; choose wisely.

Sincerely,

Big Jon
post #19 of 82 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 5:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon
ABS Module cannot be rebuilt?

Basically, ABS modules are made up of two units, the hydraulic control unit and the electronic control unit. The hydraulic control unit is not serviceable because of blind passages that are drilled and plugged. The electronic control unit could have some suspect components replaced, but how would it be sealed and tested? The testing of the electronic control unit is extensive and specific to its operating parameters (time, temperature, etc). Our BMW ABS system works to prevent our wheels from locking up on extreme braking situations when safety means everything.

Currently, I am a quality engineer for an ABS manufacturer and have worked in automotive quality for over 43 years. Taking a short cut to save a few bucks on a very important safety system is a mistake.

Yes, there are people out there that will fix anything for a buck. They will even fix your ABS electronic control unit. But, how do they seal it and test it, to see that it performs as intended at that critical moment? Look on the internet they are there.

ABS manufacturers donít repair sealed units because of costs? You bet, mainly because of costly product liability issues. Itís your life, your choice; choose wisely.

Sincerely,

Big Jon
How do the OEMs seal them?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #20 of 82 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 7:55 pm

Well, there is a company in Tennesse that advertise and makes the claim that they fix our abs units. After you send your unit to them they jerk you around for a couple of months and you have the same broken unit that you first sent them.
rwischmann likes this.
post #21 of 82 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 9:52 pm

Auto and Truck Electronics on Rogersville, TN. They can't fix them. Money back if they can't fix it only means part of your money back. Now I think they require you to buy a new unit to get your money back on something they couldn't repair. SCAMMERS! I dinged them on the BBB. BBB investigated and found the company acted appropriately. HUH?

Fortunately, the ABS unit in my 2000 had been removed and installed, bounced around by UPS so many times that after the last install and reset, it worked until the crash that totalled the LT. Saddleman has that LT running again and on the road. ABS is still functioning as it should. Not because of anything ATE did.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #22 of 82 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 8:21 am

I just LOVE IT when somebody says something really high tech can be repaired.

Why, I've got a 9 month old Kitchen Aid microwave that has broken twice since I bought it. Kitchen Aid is now into $2,000.00 worth of parts and labor (under warranty) to prove that they're right!

When I recommended they might be better off just replacing it with a new one the answer was NYET! Now you know why American manufacturing businesses are in such deep doo doo.

(The sad part of this story is that I bought a Kitchen Aid since it is made in Benton Harbor, Michigan and I was doing the "patriotic thing". Of course all the components are made in China)

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #23 of 82 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 8:47 am

Went through this with my 2007 GSA. Could not find anyone who rebuilds them.
However, I did find someone who does SOME LT ones...
http://www.bba-reman.com/content.asp...Motorcycle_ABS

Also, check out some of the BMW car sites... they have issue too.....
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=1#post5143420

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php

http://bmwdriver.org/e39-abs-module-repair/

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31013

I can't see why someone doesn't repair them!

This guy was really nice and wanted to help... you might call him..
We're actually working on fixes for the first two generations of ABS. For ABSII we're getting a piston chamber rebuild kit manufactured. ABS I is still in the works. If BMW doesn't offer you any slack, I'd be happy to look at your module. If we can't fix it, the only thing it will cost you is shipping. Good luck with your module.

Tyler

www.modulemaster.com <http://www.modulemaster.com>
2006 S Main
Moscow, ID 83843

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #24 of 82 Old Sep 6th, 2011, 4:01 pm

Everything BBA knows about the ABS II units, they learned through working with me.

When I confronted them about their advertised 'capability' to repair them, they sent me some 'chicken and cow' story about how it was there 'as an example'.

caveat emptor.

g.

greg shamieh boof # 93 k-whiner # 83
jefferson, maryland

2000 K1200LT --- "darkside"
75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"
post #25 of 82 Old Jul 17th, 2014, 3:15 pm

Garage

I think $350 with 5 year warranty seems good, since used ones go for that

http://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/support/warranty/
post #26 of 82 Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 8:34 am

My 2002 K1200LT with 103,000 miles is down with no ABS to the rear brakes cost for this new unit is $ 2600 plus thats almost what the bike is worth does anybody now if the rear brake light switch turn on the motor for the power asist ? when you pull the handle bar lever the motor starts ( you can hear it) the rear pedal does not start the motor I think thats my problem my rear brake light switch does turn on my brake lights Is there a relay not working in the ABS unit ?
post #27 of 82 Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 10:09 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by promaster60 View Post
My 2002 K1200LT with 103,000 miles is down with no ABS to the rear brakes cost for this new unit is $ 2600 plus thats almost what the bike is worth does anybody now if the rear brake light switch turn on the motor for the power asist ? when you pull the handle bar lever the motor starts ( you can hear it) the rear pedal does not start the motor I think thats my problem my rear brake light switch does turn on my brake lights Is there a relay not working in the ABS unit ?
The unit responds to both the brake switches and input pressure. Usually when a servo does not come on it is either a fault in a part in the "brain" or the servo motor has burned up. One test you can do is to put the bike on the center stand and with it in neutral have some one rotate the rear wheel while you apply the front lever lightly until the servo(s) start. If the wheel turns easily then that servo motor is likely not running. If the wheel stops then the issue is the rear brake switch or pressure sensor (internal).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #28 of 82 Old Aug 11th, 2014, 8:47 am

Exclamation Re: Has ANYBODY ever successfully rebuilt the ABS?

My 2002 with only 18,000 mi is having the no rear caliper modulation while pressing the brake pedal. MAX BMW has diagnosed. Code saying over pressure being sensed so will not send pressure to rear caliper. They have suggested trying module master. They had a GS unit sent out and had success. Hopefully these folks can figure out and repair.
Other than that how about this??? Remove the ABS and go old school. Anyone do this? I am not purchasing a new 2300 dollar unit. No Way!

Mark D.
Groveland,MA
2002 KLT (JETBLUE)
1993 ST1100 (retired)
1982 GPz 1100 EFI (retired)
1979 750F (retired)
post #29 of 82 Old Aug 11th, 2014, 11:33 am Thread Starter

Mark
Sorry to hear about you issues. My second modulator failed and I decided to go old school as you describe it. I have stainless brake lines from the master cylinders to the calipers. I no longer worry about whether the module will pass the self test. Several others on this site have do this successfully as well.

Grant
Colorado Springs CO
post #30 of 82 Old Aug 11th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Sorry. Member Brain Price just bought the one I had for sale. 2816 miles on it.

Good luck!
post #31 of 82 Old Aug 11th, 2014, 1:29 pm

Brian. (lol)

And he is a smart guy...btw....
post #32 of 82 Old Aug 11th, 2014, 6:09 pm

OK Gang, today I spoke with Module Master. Very nice folks. They have been getting many calls regarding these ABS Units.
At this time they are looking at about 8 weeks for parts they are sourcing to be able to rebuild / service these units. Looking at $750 range for the job. Was told that the first batch was not up to standards and had to redo thus pushing out when they will be able to service.

BTW. When I had my bike diagnosed I got a trade in value on my 2002 Pristine LTC with only 17,000 recreational miles on it. 4 grand baby. Read it and weep. So really a 2000 dollar ABS unit.

First off the damn thing should never have crapped out with 17,000 mile on it! This is the kind of stuff that makes me even more scared of the 1600 GTL. MOE LECTRICS....MOE TROUBLES.

Couple of helpful guys have gone old school braking and seem to be fine with it. Love my bike and going to lighten her up a bit and ride it old school.

Mark D.
Groveland,MA
2002 KLT (JETBLUE)
1993 ST1100 (retired)
1982 GPz 1100 EFI (retired)
1979 750F (retired)
post #33 of 82 Old Aug 11th, 2014, 6:38 pm

I know Mark you said that it only had 17,000 miles on the bike and it should not have happened but it is a 2002 and I just wondering is possible that the brakes were not flushed every other year and if that's the case on some of the other ABS brake fails on here I am just saying out loud on here because I got a little PARANOID so I am doing a flush on my wheel and circuts every YEAR hoping it is keeping me from a fail

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #34 of 82 Old Aug 11th, 2014, 7:33 pm

I've been in contact with Tyler from module masters who emailed me this Friday the 8th. In regards to the iABS. We are still in the prototype stage for parts. We are waiting for final production parts from the factory. It's a slow process, but we'll get there. Sincerely Tyler.... My unit is ok. But I have contacted them just in case.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #35 of 82 Old Aug 16th, 2014, 10:55 pm

Very timely for me. I just got a call yesterday from my dealer. I took mine in because the dash ABS or Servo or some light was on and for a couple of maintenance items. They called me with the report that the servo is shot and the estimate is just about $2,800 to repair the brakes. Wow. My first thought was the bike is totaled. Did a bit of research and found some video's showing how to remove the entire system and go "old school". One claim was that it removes 8 or 9 pounds high up under the tank area. Trying to find some light at the end of the tunnel here. So I called the dealer today and was told that they do offer a service where they bypass the servo and install some custom brake lines. You lose the ABS of course. I was quoted $700-$800 to do this. Does that sound a bit high? Or is there that much labor involved in bypassing the servo and installing new brake lines?

Thanks for any info.
post #36 of 82 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 6:19 am

It really does not sound to bad it would be nice if you got them down to 550 to 600 seems a little more with in reason and besides it maybe could give them more work for this type of thing just saying What dealer is it by the way so I can put in my SAVE SLOT

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #37 of 82 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 10:30 am

Thanks for the reply. It's Bob's BMW in Jessup, MD. They didn't mention this service until I brought it up. I'm going to go ahead and have it done along with some other maintenance. Otherwise, it really becomes a parts bike. He did warn me about the resale value being affected. I agreed. On the other hand, it would be $2K more to fix so the ABS still functions. And a 2002 LT is only worth so much these days.
post #38 of 82 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 7:51 pm

Hmmmm! $2,600 for a new ABS unit isn't a few dollars.

What is the leading cause for the failure of the ABS, ABS I and ABS II units.

If we all flush the circuits, both wheel and control annually, will that prolong the service life of the units...or is it simply mechanical failure of the ABS parts and/or electronics?

Being of German ancestry and a German hard head....ve kan make it betta!, if it was built, it should be able to be disassembled and rebuilt back to factory fresh!....Providing the parts are available.

And then if that is possible.....is it economically viable versus replacing brand new?

And if not, well $2,600 for a new ABS unit is still cheaper than buying a new bike or a used bike that you don't know what might go out next because you didn't do the maintenance. And I think the value of my 02 LT is much higher than $2,600. So lets see.......$2,600/12 years = $216/year......still cheap!

I never had ABS until I started riding BMW 1st one 2000 R1200C and now my LT...so is not like going back to non ABS would be that big or bad transition until I replaced the ABS if it when out.

Too much drama to worry about! What's that expression ...Ride it like you stole it .....and maybe know someone who has a "trailer"!

Oh well, if I worried this much when I go off rode in my jeep, by myself prospecting for the yellow stuff in the deserts of the southwest, and I am more than a 100 miles from then nearest town....I would never leave my couch much less take a trip on the LT! It is what it is!. Mitigate one's risk! Gauge it! And then say, "What the hockey puck!" and hit the open highway. 10 hours + on the open road is better than 10 hours+ listening to my wife tell me about the dramas from her job or which kid did what to whom!

Smile when you ride! You might catch a snack!
post #39 of 82 Old Aug 18th, 2014, 11:42 am

Garage
Exclamation Re: Has ANYBODY ever successfully rebuilt the ABS?

A note on ABS and LT's, on my recent 3300 mile trip through the western states, the ABS lights on my 2000 LT started blinking, no big deal right??

HOWEVER, had an occasion because of wet roads and road hazard to apply the brakes rather suddenly (always use both front and rear together from years of riding and practice). The front brake application caused the front wheel to lock and slide on the WET road way. Needless to say for a short time the LT was in may different attitudes (friend behind witnessed the entire show). SOMEHOW (and I still don't know how) managed to keep it upright and recover from the multidirectional slide.

HAD the ABS been working this would have been a Nonissue.

When I returned home the failure code said "Error 16 Piston Fault"????. Reset it with the GS911 and no further issues to date.

If my ABS module is bad, it will be replaced as long as the cost is below the cost of the bike. Personally I can't put a value on my life and NEVER want to repeat the experience in Idaho again!!!

Don Wreyford
BMWMOA, 91738
RA 27032
ABC 7915
00 LT, 84 RS, 98 GS, 76R75/6
"An Elephant is eaten one bite at a time"
!
post #40 of 82 Old Aug 20th, 2014, 8:56 pm

I'm going to chime in here and agree with Don. I also had an ABSII fault about 1K miles into an 8K trip. I also have Speiglers installed and after 7K miles I knew I had to repair. I had 85K on the bike LT even though the LT is my first ABS bike I have been accustomed to ABS and it becomes downright dangerous doing any severe braking... Of course YMMV and your skills might be much better than mine.. but are you sure...

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #41 of 82 Old Aug 20th, 2014, 10:47 pm

I have an extra ABS unit of an '01 K1200LT, if anyone wants to make an offer. PM me...

Came off a bike that had 23,000 miles on it, but has been sitting for about 4 years.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #42 of 82 Old Aug 21st, 2014, 5:21 pm

Let us know how it turns out. And what your verdict is.. A rebuild or bypass is the only way to save these bikes when the IABS or ABS goes. If mine ever goes. No way am I spending 3K to replace.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #43 of 82 Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 10:16 pm

My 2 cents.....modulemasters rebuilt my abs2 and it now works perfect. They had it back in less than a week and communicated well during process. Unit looked new when I got it back. It was leak free and has performed for thousands of miles now. Jmho
post #44 of 82 Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 7:16 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmfriendly View Post
My 2 cents.....modulemasters rebuilt my abs2 and it now works perfect. They had it back in less than a week and communicated well during process. Unit looked new when I got it back. It was leak free and has performed for thousands of miles now. Jmho
They have a great rep on the ABS2 units but so far nothing on the iABS still having issues sourcing parts.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #45 of 82 Old Sep 15th, 2014, 10:08 am

Garage
Replaced ABS pump 2000lt

Was able to get a used pump for my 2000lt
Swapped it over the weekend and before swap verified with dealer only fault seen was abs pump failure.
After swap bled the hell out of the brakes, very hard and working well.
ABS lights still flashing, does code need to be reset or will it reset itself?

Seller of pump said he rode the bike and pump worked fine and no abs warning was showing, maybe lights on that bike had been disabled?

Before I send it back and look for repair of my pump, any ideas people?
Thanks
post #46 of 82 Old Sep 15th, 2014, 11:37 am

Garage

Dealer said module masters does it right, prob going to send mine there and eat the $350
post #47 of 82 Old Sep 15th, 2014, 12:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Replaced ABS pump 2000lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkinskg View Post
Was able to get a used pump for my 2000lt
Swapped it over the weekend and before swap verified with dealer only fault seen was abs pump failure.
After swap bled the hell out of the brakes, very hard and working well.
ABS lights still flashing, does code need to be reset or will it reset itself?

Seller of pump said he rode the bike and pump worked fine and no abs warning was showing, maybe lights on that bike had been disabled?

Before I send it back and look for repair of my pump, any ideas people?
Thanks
The fault needs to be reset. So, don't go through the effort of extracting it for return until you find a way (dealer/code reader) to reset it.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #48 of 82 Old Sep 18th, 2014, 9:41 am

Garage

I just pulled and bypassed my ABS, was going to send back the used pump.
Maybe I should reassemble it and setup the reset wires as in the forums here.
Thanks for the advice

Mine is a 2000 so bypass was easy. see pics

$29 NAPA parts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	endview.jpg
Views:	1721
Size:	932.6 KB
ID:	65762   Click image for larger version

Name:	sidev.jpg
Views:	3181
Size:	892.3 KB
ID:	65770  
post #49 of 82 Old Sep 18th, 2014, 9:43 am

Garage
Re: Replaced ABS pump 2000lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt View Post
The fault needs to be reset. So, don't go through the effort of extracting it for return until you find a way (dealer/code reader) to reset it.

HTH,
Jer
More info, the pump I got was from a 1150 gs I believe
Pumps are the same except rear part of pump large and small ports have swapped positions.

Maybe its a better pump?
Don't hear about those failing all the time
post #50 of 82 Old Sep 18th, 2014, 10:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkinskg View Post
I just pulled and bypassed my ABS, was going to send back the used pump.
Maybe I should reassemble it and setup the reset wires as in the forums here.
Thanks for the advice

Mine is a 2000 so bypass was easy. see pics

$29 NAPA parts
If the ABS on the early bikes fail you do not need to bypass it, braking remains normal, it is the ones with power brakes that need to be either repaired with a new module or bypassed

on the K1100s and K100s people just put a piece of tape to block the warning light, I removed the bulb on mine, tape on the dash is kind of tacky

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in