Stereo Lost Left Channel - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 1:57 pm Thread Starter

Stereo Lost Left Channel

'05 LT - with aftermarket Autocom System.
The left channel (both front & rear) of my stereo system has quit working completely. This applies to all modes (c.d., radio, mp3), both on factory speakers and headset.
Has anyone experienced this issue and if so, any advice?
Thanks. Bapper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 3:24 pm

Re: Stereo Lost Left Channel

I have an '02 and am on my third stereo.

They always acted just like yours when they began to fail.

I hate giving good people bad news.

post #3 of 9 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 4:29 pm

Could be the first signs of a radio going bad....

Or...

Just could be bad connections somewhere.. Start at the back of the radio and work your way thru the stingray to the speakers... Clean and de-ox all the connections then lube with di-electric grease.... Maybe it'll come back...

Also the disconnect the battery for an hour thingie might be appropriate here as well...

Usually when the radio goes bad it's because of a short/open causing component failure..

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 5:42 pm

experiencing the same issues on my 05. i had the unit replaced 3 times during warranty. it's been a real pill since my bike was 3 months old. the last time they replaced it, they installed a european model which deleted weather & refused to rectify the situation. for the past few years it will simply not work for days then suddenly "repair" itself. it's constantly changing from cd mode to fm at will. i've cleaned & "greased" contacts so many times i've almost worn out the tupperware. i've given up. installed bluetooth headset & using droid x for pandora radio. also purchased a garmin 765t which pairs nicely. it has mp3 capabilities when phone signal goes away. audio quality is very enjoyable plus i can finally hear gps prompts & receive & make calls. all for less cost than replacing the crappy radio unit again. color me happy!!!
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2011, 10:37 am

Same issue on my 05, the left side is full of static, someone here posted a place to fix these radio's. So I sent an email Saturday and today I got the reply, $400 dollars flat rate to repair the amp, no telling how long this would last but at least one on this site is very happy with the work they done, His radio is still working after over a year since the repair. $400.00 bucks sounds like a lot to me but unlike some with the Jenson mods I still want my bike to look and function as stock. Here's my email and their reply, hope this helps.

BMW 2005 K1200LT

The Becker radio is losing the amp on the left side, only the left side is getting static on all fuctions, put the balance all to the right side and it's good,can you fix it and send a quote to me ?

Thanks
Ron

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the reply

Ron,

We can repair it.

Flat rate is $400 plus shipping.

Tom Mitchell

Becker Autosound LLC

101 RT 46 W

Saddle Brook,NJ 07663

www.beckerautosound.com
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2011, 2:37 pm

Sounds like a "replacement" radio to me.

Hey, they're good for 20,000 miles, so go for it.
post #7 of 9 Old Dec 12th, 2011, 4:08 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the info. You have saved me a ton of research. Now I have the winter to take care of it before the big retirement dream ride... Cheers. Bapper
post #8 of 9 Old Dec 12th, 2011, 7:10 pm

Just saw this, and noticed you had an autocom. Is it patched into the speaker system? Just for grins you might want to check the connection. I lost a channel to my radio, thought it was the radio but was caused by the intercom unit.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #9 of 9 Old Dec 12th, 2011, 8:49 pm

I think JPSpen's reply had some solid merit. I was loosing a channel(s) on my stereo and had some occasional static. Last time I had the stingray off I sprayed electrical connection cleaner on both the male and female ends of all the plugs. I drained and wicked the excess cleaner out of the connectors. They were all probably still a little "wet" when I plugged them back in It seems to have fixed the problem for now. Maybe I just got lucky.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in