Issues with Radio / Comm - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 1:49 pm Thread Starter

Issues with Radio / Comm

Hello Everyone,

I recently bought a 2002 K1200 LT from someone local. I am working to fix a couple of issues with the Radio / Comm system. So far my search in seeing if someone already had these issues came up with nothing. However i have learned a lot from what I've read.

Issue 1: The Radio comes over the Fairing Speakers fine when the key is switched to the "R" position but cuts out when the key is switched to the "ON" position. The Radio will come through the Comm System when the bike is running but not over the Fairing Speakers even when i switch the FR/HS switch on the comm system.

Issue 2: I try to connect my iPod to the Comm System using the 3.5/3.5 cable. The FR/HS button is supposed to make this port active, but this does not work. I can faintly hear the iPod playing but the Radio Stays on.

Not sure if these are related or if there is 1 thing causing both issues.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 3:35 pm

Re: Issues with Radio / Comm

The only thing that is different when the ignition key is moved from the R position to the On position is that the intercom portion of the system is now powered. If I were to guess I would suspect the headset/speaker button on the comm system to be your problem.

Some have had luck by spraying contact cleaner around that button and working it to free up the switch.

Example: If you have the headset/speaker button set to the headset position and have the key in the R position...you only get sound through the speakers......once you turn the key to the On position you only get sound through the headset. With your system you should never get sound through both at the same time.

Hope that helps,

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 11:41 am

I too have a 2002 K1200LT. I have the BC-3 comm system. I think we're talking about the same button but mine is labeled H/S - EXT. No matter what you have that button set to, when you put the key in the "R" position your music will come through the external speakers only. If you're listening to music through the helmet, park and turn the key to R it automatically switches to the external speakers.

Now about the iPod. You are using a plug on the intercom and not the stereo. By plugging in to that port you will get iPod music through the headset only, no matter what. You can control your iPod volume by the iPod only (maybe the volume knob on the intercom). You will also not have speed controlled volume. Your handlebar controls will not control its volume. It's best to just turn the radio off if you're plugging an external device into the intercom. If you have a cassette player in there, you can use a cassette adapter to go through the stereo and use handlebar controls for volume only. If you go further and get a Dice unit, you'll have more features.

I hope I made this clear as mud!

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 12:17 pm Thread Starter

Funny thing happened this morning. When I turned the key to the "ON" position i did not realize right away that the Radio was still playing over the Fairing Speakers.

I then pushed the FS/HS button a few times it the sound was switching back and froth to the FS/HS as it should. it does seem that the connection is still sticky even though the button works fine.

i will try some contact cleaner to see if it frees it up some more...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in