hot air deflection for knees in cold weather - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 21st, 2011, 6:32 pm Thread Starter

hot air deflection for knees in cold weather

Was riding recently in cool low 50's air and my knees were getting sore from the damp cool air. I noted that there was considerable warm air emitting from the vents(from rads) but it bypasses knees and somewhat blows on outer upper legs.

I was wondering if anyone has come up with a deflector to direct this warm air to the knee cap area.

I missed my Concours on this cool day as there is a nice warm air blast on the knee area in cool weather (also requires redirecting heat shields for the hot weater

I am finding the LT is a much nicer hot weather bike but no where near the cold weather bike the concours is from the warmth point of view.

1999 K1200LT 33K miles
1999 Concours 107K Km

Doesn't matter what you ride, but ride it, don't spend all your time polishing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 21st, 2011, 10:30 pm

Re: hot air deflection for knees in cold weather

I remembered this thread from a while back:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ight=Heat+legs

You may need to copy and paste link.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 5:34 am

With all my years of riding I don't think I remember anyone complaining about a bike that keeps the heat off of you.

Guess you could duct tape some dryer hose over the openings and dump them into your pants. Maybe some quick release hook ups like the astronauts.

Personally, I'll take the LT's engineering of keeping you cooler in the summer. I can always put my Gerbings on in the winter and feel toastie.

Rocket Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 8:51 am

I second that.

I live in the deep, deep south.

The LT is IMHO the best tourning bike out there for me. Even on the hottest of days. My last trip was a 2500 mile route across the deep south. Riding through Birmingham, Alabama, the on-board thermometer indicated 109 degrees.

In downtown Atlanta, we one time indicated 114 on I-75.

I'll take the wonderful heat insulation of the LT any day.

post #5 of 13 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:56 am

If you really wanted to,
I'm sure there's a way to "divert" some of the engine heat onto your legs,
either by cutting and installing vents or using a product like Baker Air wings.

If I lived at the Ontario latitude I might give it some thought, well actually I did,
but rather than "screw up a perfectly engineered bike"
I decided to "divert" my riding to a more "southern Latitude"

I wasn't born in the South but I got here as fast as I could!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #6 of 13 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 3:05 pm

#1 Turn on seat heat--#2 Kneel on seat
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 4:02 pm

Low 50's......

I commute 130miles on a Monday morning setting off around 3am...yes AM and last January I set off from home one morning and it was reading -0.1Celsius...30.2F and by the time I arrived at Worcester it was a cool -12celsius...10.4F !!

My toes were numb, my legs were blue, teeth chattering, body shaking and my fingertips were dead... but it was fun !! No fairweather biking here. I would have snapped a picture but it wasn't appenin

If you do get to invent a central heating system for summer ride outs on your LT....send the prototype my way buddy !!

Chris
post #8 of 13 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 4:18 pm

What you need is a snow mobile suit-forget the alterations of the bike.
Years ago I drove a honda to work on cold days and my knees were hurting from being frozen too. I used a pair of heavy wool socks, cut the foot part off, doubled up on the calf part and slid it under my trousers up--over the knees. It worked fabulous.
post #9 of 13 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 4:59 pm

You could spend a thousand or two getting that together..It has been done...
Or a couple hundred on some Gerbings....
The least expensive heated gear will do a better job than trying to blow some hot air on you in the winter on a motorcycle...It would be easy enough to take a rain suit and attach a couple of hoses at the knees and then pick up air from the radiator vents...Let it vent out the collar...
Then you'd need a way to mix it.. and ....on and on...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #10 of 13 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 7:35 pm
Sit

Another option would be a lap blanket, or robe or skirt, what ever they call them. Have not seem them used on a BMW, but our PD used to use them on the old Kawi's and I have seen them on Harleys. Would just need to figure a way to attach it to the front of the fairing so air would not get under it and then decide how far you want the thing to extend past your legs, I think the ones on the Kawi's were long enough to tuck under your butt so it stayed put. I think it draped about to mid boot. This would keep all of the that warm air under the blanket and on you and the cold air off of directly hitting you. Throw some fleece on the back side of it and make it out of pack cloth so its fairly water poof.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #11 of 13 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 8:35 pm

I wish BMW would have made it like the K75RT that I had. There were vents just in front of your knees in the faring that could be opened to let heat through or closed in warm weather and force the hot air out of the sides of the faring. Simple and worked great.

But then again this time I just bought a full set of Gerbings and haven't had a problem being cold. Hot is another matter. But at least I wasn't on a Harley with a 103 like my 2 friends! They were dying it was just uncomfortable for us. Actually I think the back seat gets hotter as the air from the radiators seems to clear the driver and hit the passenger. Our problem was our tails. But we just replaced the seat with a Day Long Saddle so that should solve that issue.

----------
Dave

2008 K1200LT Hannigan Trike
1991 K75RT (RIP)

post #12 of 13 Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 4:59 am Thread Starter

I have ridden in plenty of cold weather down to and below 32F on my C10 Concours. For that matter I have ridden all winter long about 30yrs ago one winter that we had no snow, just cold.

I was just making the observation that the LT is not as comfortable to ride as the concours in cooler weather. Extrapolating from the 50F ride I am sure it will be much cooler than the connie as temp drop.
I am not a fair weather rider and start in April ending in November or when ever the snow/ice begins/stays.

I think the vent systems would be a great upgrade. I do appreciate the fact that the LT is much cooler in the HOT weather than the Connie.

I have only a heated vest that I only ever used below 45F on the Connie . It does not have heated grips and does not need them unless riding extended periods below 38F.

1999 K1200LT 33K miles
1999 Concours 107K Km

Doesn't matter what you ride, but ride it, don't spend all your time polishing!
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 10:11 pm

Garage

Since the LT is a touring bike and in my neck of the woods there is no such luck in the winter. I simply dress for the part. When I rode my G-wing in December it was only for one day in our Toys for Tots ride. And if the weather was cooperating no snow/no ice an insulated jump suit or snow mobile pants was the choice of the day. My wife used to tell me if I needed them nylons and legwarmers would make your day. So there you have it take your pick.
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in