Rear brake fluid top up? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

Rear brake fluid top up?

Sorry for what may be considered a stupid question. I do not have a service manual with my pre-owned K1200LT. I know where and how to check the brake fluid reservoir however I cannot find any instructions regarding how and or where to top up the rear brake fluid. Can anyone assist me please? Thanks Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 7:27 pm

Re: Rear brake fluid top up?

Check rear brake fluid through right hardbag.........(little window.)
I love to ride in BC

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by STARFIGHTER; Aug 19th, 2011 at 7:28 pm. Reason: additional
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Allan, I can see the reservoir behind the side bag but where do you top it up? Is it necessary to remove portions of the side panel or the rear seat? Can't find anything that looks like a fill point. Randy

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

Should also advise that my bike is a 2005. I just got back from a two day blast through highways 97 Vancouver to Osoyoos then #33 from Osoyoos to Rock Creek then to Kelowna. Lots of switch backs and speed braking. When I shut the bike down and then restarted a few minutes later I had the brake fail ligh start flashing "double time" until I rolled about 5 feet then all was OK. I checked the brake fluid on the handlebar and it was full however the rear reservoir behind the side bag looked like there was noting in it. I rocked the bike to see if I could see fluid moving but can't determine if it is full or empty. Brakes are working fine but fearful that I may loose rear braking at a critical point. Randy ( by the way this section of highway is unbelievable on a bike!!)
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 9:06 pm
Sit

Have not messed with my rear reservoir, but think you need to at least take off the back seat to get to it. May have to take off the rear pass foot set/peg too on the right side.

As for the blinking brake light and it stopping after going a bit, that is normal. Bike should do that on every start up. That is the ABS system self check. Once bike is under way for a few feet the ABS is sync or what ever and lights go off. If there is a fault, then lights stay on to warn you of an ABS issue and most likely very little braking power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 10:19 pm

Brian is right with his advice. The rear brake fluid reservoir is tough to see...my guess is you are not low at all if you are reacting to the double brake flash. You can pick up a good manual on ebay if you need one.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #7 of 10 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 11:01 pm

Remove the passenger seat and now you can see the reservoir to the right side but to get to it, you may have to remove the right rear tupperware--otherwise it is difficult to get to and see what you'r doing.
post #8 of 10 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 11:06 pm

On a 2005 and later LT the level in the control circuit reservoir should not vary. If the level goes low it means you have a leak somewhere in the system.
Even with the pads wearing out you should never see a drop in that level. The drop in level will only occur in the wheel circuit for which there is no window to check. You would have to open the cap on the reservoir that is part of the pump unit.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #9 of 10 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 6:04 am

I am only familiar with my 03LT. Open right side saddle bag. There is a square window in the tupperware above the passenger foot peg where it meets the bag that exposes the top portion of the rear brake reservoir. When I do mine I remove the passenger seat and enough of the screws associated with this panel above the foot peg to allow me to pry the panel out enough to get at the screw lid top of the reservoir. Clean area well before removing lid. You don't want to introduce any contaminates. I use a tennis ball or balled up rag to keep the top of the panel out far enough to access the lid. Go Easy or you'll be ordering a replacement panel. If the fluid is clean it will be hard to see the level so you might have to backlight it with anything that will fit in this area. I pull a trailer so I use up brake pads faster than most which reduces fluid level so I have a tendancy to make sure I fill to max level or I get part way through a 4k mile jaunt and the ABS lights start screaming "I'm thirsty". I have been using Valvoline synthetic Dot 3&4 but some of the boys may correct me on this choice. The bike is 8yrs. old and has seen I flush in its 45k miles and thank God the brakes have always been able to rescue me from any trouble the throttle got me into.
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 4:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
I pull a trailer so I use up brake pads faster than most which reduces fluid level so I have a tendancy to make sure I fill to max level or I get part way through a 4k mile jaunt and the ABS lights start screaming "I'm thirsty".
Very true on the 03 LT, However the OP rides an 05 that uses uses a servo assisted system; very different systems.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in