Aux Audio Input - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 4:41 pm Thread Starter

Aux Audio Input

On an 2002 K1200LT is there an easy way to integrate an auxilliary input for satellite radio or iPod? my bike has the CD player with 6 disc changer and really miss my XM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 5:35 pm

Re: Aux Audio Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisdex
On an 2002 K1200LT is there an easy way to integrate an auxilliary input for satellite radio or iPod? my bike has the CD player with 6 disc changer and really miss my XM.
Yes there is, however...
  1. You will need to take the stingray out as the aux port is in the back of the radio
  2. You need to order a specific BMW cable that will plug in the aforementioned port
  3. You will need a signal amplifier as the aux port on the radio does not provide that.
  4. You can try to search the forum as it has been done by some
  5. I did all this and it never worked on my bike...
YMMV

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 6:25 pm

You can try this, I have the earlier Dice box for an ipod only that plugged into where the 6 cd used to be. Handle controls work with it.

I guess this is the new version, mine doesn't appear available anymore.
http://diceelectronics.com/dice_validator.php

http://diceelectronics.com/fmrds-usb-pro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS

Last edited by Enduro; Aug 19th, 2011 at 6:47 pm.

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 8:06 pm

I hope I can get this to work - I want to hook up a Zumo 660 (does music too) and also have a separate aux in port for other items. I've ordered the cable, researched a balanced splitter and will be ready in the next few weeks to try it out. I hope I can get mine working - have read in several areas that the Zumo has plenty of power for the aux in port, but other items may not, so possible mini amp needed for that (might see if I can mount a rotary knob for adjustment in the oddments box). Then on to the DICE for replacing the 6-stack CD, installing my Starcom1 intercom with switch for speakers and helmet. And then onto some LED lighting I have in mind for the sides. I feel some soldering coming on.....

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie
I hope I can get this to work - I want to hook up a Zumo 660 (does music too) and also have a separate aux in port for other items. I've ordered the cable, researched a balanced splitter and will be ready in the next few weeks to try it out. I hope I can get mine working - have read in several areas that the Zumo has plenty of power for the aux in port, but other items may not, so possible mini amp needed for that (might see if I can mount a rotary knob for adjustment in the oddments box). Then on to the DICE for replacing the 6-stack CD, installing my Starcom1 intercom with switch for speakers and helmet. And then onto some LED lighting I have in mind for the sides. I feel some soldering coming on.....
Are you talking about the aux input in the radio or the aux input in the com unit?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #6 of 8 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 9:55 am

Hi Giles. I mean the Aux input in the radio (in the stingray) - sadly no com (VoiceII) installed on my bike so I'll be "building my own version". I'm also working through how to get music from the radio system most efficiently into the Starcom1 Advance intercom as there seem to be lots of ways to do it. At this point I'll be making my own balanced splitter, and likely adding a home made canakit small amp since the aux line is known to need it. Lastly I intend to create a panel to put the controls and open plugs for all this in the oddments box (I'm a bit of a neat freak) - want it to look as factory as possible. I will attempt to take pics as I do it for a write up (easy to forget - I must remember to be disciplined!!).

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 21st, 2011, 6:35 pm

It was an all-day ordeal but I did this on my 2003. I did not have the 6 disc changer so I did not have to worry about removing that piece. The cable you need is the AUX input stereo cable for the 3 series car, which was around $40 from the BMW dealer in Boulder. Getting the radio unit off the bike is the worst part and takes a long time. Once you have it off actually attaching the cable is not too bad and after that you will need to drill a hole in the compartment where the single disc CD player is (or would be) to install the AUX plug. As has been mentioned you will need a signal amplifier as there is not one on this circuit inside the radio. I bought a Boosteroo at Radio Shack and it works well.
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 8:45 pm

If you get it going but don't have clear sound when charging the iPod or whatever off the bike you may need to add a ground loop isolator. I ended up having to add one to mine to get the XM reciever to sound good. It's not battery operated so it has to be powered off the bike.

----------
Dave

2008 K1200LT Hannigan Trike
1991 K75RT (RIP)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in