What causes front Tire Cupping? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 2:13 pm Thread Starter

What causes front Tire Cupping?

My front tire has cupping on the left side, the right is seemingly fine or less noticeable. Is this caused by less aggressive lean angles to the left, or a suspension, or alignment issue?

I rode in hard left turns for 20 minutes in a parking lot, seems to be better, but would like to know how it happened in the first place. I just got this bike 2 days ago, need to make it perfect again, lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 2:54 pm

Talking Re: What causes front Tire Cupping?

Assuming you have ME 880 tires, some say running low on air pressure. IE, 42 front 48 rear will certainly reduce cupping. The book says a lot less but causes cupping really quick.

Not real sure why you would get cupping on just one side.

The Guru's should chime in soon with the answer for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #3 of 23 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 4:36 pm

Re: What causes front Tire Cupping?

I guess he cupping is what causes the noise. That' always been an issue with my LT within 3 to 4k miles. Drives me crazy.

Rocket Ron

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)

post #4 of 23 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 5:05 pm

Promise me you'll read the entire article and the truth shall reveal itself:

Motorcycle Tire Wear

All you need to do is stop making so many left turns!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 23 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 5:47 pm
Super Moderator

The wearing away of your tire in some form of a repeatable pattern most often occurs on the front tire and most often on heavier bikes. It can and does happen on lighter weight bikes but not not as often. Oh yea back to the cause . . . It is the inability of the tire to remain in proper / constant contact with the road surface under the various riding conditions the bike is subject to.

So what are the root causes: tire pressure, tire compound, temperature, speed, weight on the bike, road conditions, balance of the tires and the condition / dynamics of the suspension system. Look at it this way - if the tire cannot travel and conform uniformly at all times on the road surface various portions of the tire get scrubbed more than others. The bottom line is the suspension systems inability to keep the tire in proper road contact.

The inability of the tire to rebound at high speeds - note most often is not the tires fault it is all the other issues imposed on the tire themselves that manifest in cupping the tire. Since you cannot alter most of the root causes mentoned the only chance you have to reduce or eliminate the problem is to change the suspension system (shocks and springs) or modify the tire pressure or both.

Closely monitoring the tire pressure is the only easy way minimize and possibly eliminate cupping. By raising and lowering the pressure you change the dynamics of the suspension system which will allow the tire to conform to the road under load and rotational forces and speeds. Problem is once it gets started almost always going to get worse even if you get the air pressure correct.

Most riders here set the Metzlers to 42 psi (f) and 48 psi (r) and live with the results. Others will chime in with different results but the root causes they operate under are most often different - single riders versus double riders and large riders.

That's my 25 cent answer to your 5 cent question . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #6 of 23 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 6:15 pm

"The bottom line is the suspension systems inability to keep the tire in proper road contact."

I have to respectfully disagree. Most scalloping takes place in low speed turns on even, smooth pavement where the suspension is barely - if at all - active.

Spending more time in the arc of left hand turns versus right turns and the resulting additional "scrubbing" is the only reason, period.

Keeping up with tire pressures - along with braking before turns - can help to mitigate and delay scalloping, but it is virtually impossible to stop.

Unless... you are willing to ship your bike to England - and spend half of your seat time riding there.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 23 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 6:42 pm

I'm with Mr. Miller on this one. We invest alot more time and distance in a left hand turn than the shorter radius right handers.
post #8 of 23 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 7:10 pm

Braking late and in the corners KILLS tire on the LT very quickly !!

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #9 of 23 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 8:48 pm
Gold Supporter

Suspect most apply a bit more throttle in a left hand turn (intersection type) rather than a tighter right hand turn. Would think that would add some scrub to the front tire. I know I do, but it's flat in KS and we have to take the lean where we can get it or we never wear out the sides of the tires.

jim h.

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #10 of 23 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 8:45 am

Very interesting thread here..........good information and intelligent arguments.........

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #11 of 23 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 10:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh2020
Suspect most apply a bit more throttle in a left hand turn (intersection type) rather than a tighter right hand turn. Would think that would add some scrub to the front tire. I know I do, but it's flat in KS and we have to take the lean where we can get it or we never wear out the sides of the tires.

jim h.
I agree, and there is no question I tend to ride high speed left hand sweepers much faster than right ones due to increased visibility. It all adds up...

I understand all the cafe racers in Kansas hang out at traffic circles.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #12 of 23 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 10:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
Braking late and in the corners KILLS tire on the LT very quickly !!
Just a comment on braking in the corners.

During my career in the automotive industry, I was privileged to have personally received race track training from some of the best (including Jackie Stewart, but that's an entirely different story). I remember from one of my first training classes the instructor saying "tires are very stupid, they cannot multitask and can only do one job at a time. They can turn or they can brake, but they can't do both at the same time." He went on to describe in detail the physics behind the statement, which I won't get into. However, I still remember his words whenever I'm riding aggressively in the twisties and they haven't failed me yet

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #13 of 23 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 11:17 am

Interesting info.

The variable I can control in all of this is tire pressure. It has become clear to me that if I do a better job of monitoring tire pressure and keep the front tire at 42 psi, my front tire lasts longer. Or, more correctly, it wears more evenly. When I slack off on watching the tire pressure the cupping/feathering/scalloping/whatever happens more quickly and is more pronounced.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #14 of 23 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 6:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Interesting info.

The variable I can control in all of this is tire pressure. It has become clear to me that if I do a better job of monitoring tire pressure and keep the front tire at 42 psi, my front tire lasts longer. Or, more correctly, it wears more evenly. When I slack off on watching the tire pressure the cupping/feathering/scalloping/whatever happens more quickly and is more pronounced.
+1

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #15 of 23 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 8:39 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I understand all the cafe racers in Kansas hang out at traffic circles.
Sounds risky, there are about 3 traffic circles in the state that I can think of, most Kansan's don't know how to act with them.

jrh

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #16 of 23 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

The truth HAS indeed set me free.....

WOW!
A lot of work went into that explanation.
post #17 of 23 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
Just a comment on braking in the corners.

During my career in the automotive industry, I was privileged to have personally received race track training from some of the best (including Jackie Stewart, but that's an entirely different story). I remember from one of my first training classes the instructor saying "tires are very stupid, they cannot multitask and can only do one job at a time. They can turn or they can brake, but they can't do both at the same time." He went on to describe in detail the physics behind the statement, which I won't get into. However, I still remember his words whenever I'm riding aggressively in the twisties and they haven't failed me yet
Well, if the instructor said or meant "maximum" braking or "maximum" turning, then I agree. However, at anything short of maximum effort braking or turning, a combination of both braking and turning is absolutely possible. The contact patch of the tire can provide a roughly fixed amount of horizontal force. The force vector can be rotated around the tire to point any direction. As the vector rotates around the tire, the tire can provide acceleration, deceleration, or side force either side (left or right turn) or an infinite number of combinations of turning and acceleration or deceleration.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #18 of 23 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 9:40 pm

To my mind (which admittedly left the room many years ago ) that is an excellent description of trail braking.

I've only had the opportunity to practice it a few times on a closed race course. It takes an amazing amount of skill to do it correctly. I never really "got it", but it was sure fun trying.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #19 of 23 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 6:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Well, if the instructor said or meant "maximum" braking or "maximum" turning, then I agree. However, at anything short of maximum effort braking or turning, a combination of both braking and turning is absolutely possible. The contact patch of the tire can provide a roughly fixed amount of horizontal force. The force vector can be rotated around the tire to point any direction. As the vector rotates around the tire, the tire can provide acceleration, deceleration, or side force either side (left or right turn) or an infinite number of combinations of turning and acceleration or deceleration.
Yes, the point he was making was maximum. The typical inexperienced rider will enter a curve too hot, miscalculate the apex, realize they're about to lose it, then try to correct their mistake by hitting the brakes when they're already leaned into the curve. This basically just compounds the problem as excessive use of the front brake can result in a loss of grip as the tire's adhesion is split between cornering and braking. The simple thought of braking, then turning helps sequence the process for non-professional riders.

Proper trail braking is done by racers to enter more deeply into the turn, but takes a lot of finesse to ensure they're off the front brakes as the bike lean angle becomes severe. At this point, they've also lost the braking advantage of load transfer onto the front tire. There are definite advantages to the street rider who can trail brake by seeing more of the curve and expanding the safety margin, but it's a very hard skill to perfect.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #20 of 23 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 7:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
Yes, the point he was making was maximum. The typical inexperienced rider will enter a curve too hot, miscalculate the apex, realize they're about to lose it, then try to correct their mistake by hitting the brakes when they're already leaned into the curve. This basically just compounds the problem as excessive use of the front brake can result in a loss of grip as the tire's adhesion is split between cornering and braking. The simple thought of braking, then turning helps sequence the process for non-professional riders.

Proper trail braking is done by racers to enter more deeply into the turn, but takes a lot of finesse to ensure they're off the front brakes as the bike lean angle becomes severe. At this point, they've also lost the braking advantage of load transfer onto the front tire. There are definite advantages to the street rider who can trail brake by seeing more of the curve and expanding the safety margin, but it's a very hard skill to perfect.
I agree. It definitely simplifies things for the novice. However, I have also had people who didn't really understand the concepts get the impression that ANY use of the brakes while cornering would result in instant death. That is equally bad as few street riders use either maximum braking or maximum cornering, so there is almost always margin available to do both. And knowing this can be very useful.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #21 of 23 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 8:58 pm

Thought the question was one of CUPPING ...

Braking while in the corner leaned over at all INCREASES the g-force at the contact patch of tire. The mass of the bike simply going threw the corner will have tire on the slide ever so slightly, add DECELERATION of the bike by adding resistance of rotation at wheel the contact patch slide increases. This slide adds greatly to the rubber scrubbed away and because of the nature of the slide being somewhat bi-directional you lose the rubber you normally would with tire slide basically 90* to tire rotation but also loose rubber parallel to rotation from the deceleration of braking. add these effects together and tire scallops and cups.

JMO .... Having worn threw enough sets of tires on the LT on some of this countries grittiest road surfaces , changing up my riding style and breaking technique has in my case proven this to be so.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #22 of 23 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
Thought the question was one of CUPPING ...

Braking while in the corner leaned over at all INCREASES the g-force at the contact patch of tire. The mass of the bike simply going threw the corner will have tire on the slide ever so slightly, add DECELERATION of the bike by adding resistance of rotation at wheel the contact patch slide increases. This slide adds greatly to the rubber scrubbed away and because of the nature of the slide being somewhat bi-directional you lose the rubber you normally would with tire slide basically 90* to tire rotation but also loose rubber parallel to rotation from the deceleration of braking. add these effects together and tire scallops and cups.

JMO .... Having worn threw enough sets of tires on the LT on some of this countries grittiest road surfaces , changing up my riding style and breaking technique has in my case proven this to be so.
A really good observation.

The author of the article pointed out that "cupping" is a term that really doesn't describe what is going on. He prefers "scalloping" - which to me is better - but not really very descriptive either. I still think "scubbing" pretty much nails down the phenomena.

I too have noticed that refining my technique has made a huge difference - quite frankly I was riding *sloppy* up until about 10 years ago until Keith Code yelled at me repeatedly. I still can't believe how much money I paid him to berate me.

It was worth it.

I've seen the same lackadaisical attitude in many pilots that I've trained - and come down on them VERY, very hard for being so lazy - when just a wee bit more consistent focus is the definition between amateur and professional.

It also pays HUGE dividends in equipment longevity and safety.

After 40 years on two wheels and 28 in the air I'm still learning every day.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #23 of 23 Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 8:59 am

I think Motorhead has the answer... Keep those tires full of air and don't brake in the turn,...

Brake BEFORE the turn and accelerate thru the turn and your tires won't do that..

Wait, Yes they will...

LT goes over half a ton with gas and a loose screw behind the handlebars... It's just friggin hard on tires... Period....On little more than two square inches of contact between the tires and the road...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in