Moving On to another Brand - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 11:44 am Thread Starter

Moving On to another Brand

Oh well after 8 years of membership here and allot of help from all of you, I'm moving on to another brand. I will be checking back often, to see what you guys are up to. I owned around 30 motorcycles in my life but never a Harley, until now. Rode a friends Ultra for awhile and decided to get a new red 2012 ultra classic. Looks wise it's the best looking bike I have ever owned, but it's no BMW in performance. My wife and I are comfortable on it and are enjoying it so far. Will be touring on it in Oct. My main reason for not getting another Beemer was the lack of dealerships across the country. My closest one is 2 hours away. Also here in the south they don't hold their value very well. Myself and my neighbor bought new Ultra's together the same day, he traded the same year model GL1800 with 2'000 more miles than mine and got almost twice for his. I'm not being negative about it, because I did enjoy the K1200lt for 8 years.

Thanks to everyones help: Mickey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 11:58 am

Thumbs up Re: Moving On to another Brand

Enjoy your new ride! That is all that matters, no matter what the brand or riding style.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 11:58 am

Re: Moving On to another Brand

Not so sure I won't be doing the same once my LT wears out. I like the comfort of the LT, and while I have not tried the GTL yet, the looks don't excite me, the comfort (especially pillion) is in question, and all that technology, while amazing, I'm afraid would come back to haunt me should I have to get it repaired. I wish BMW would have built a "GLT" (a play on the name) for the " touring" enthusiast and just stopped at the GT for the sports enthusiast.

post #4 of 31 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 12:02 pm

I for one sure can't argue your logic. I'm fortunate enough to have more than one bike, so I can ride the style I want on any given day. And I think it's good to shake things up a bit, try new things. And I do agree with the dealership issue. Again, I'm lucky enough to be able to stumble through most of my own work, with, like you said, the help here.
Having ridden the new GW for some miles, I know I'd never (never say never) own one.
Hope you enjoy the new ride.
If I could offer some advise? Don't use Harley's Syn 3. Get a decent brand of oil in there. And when your tires wear out, dump the Dunlops.
Off my soapbox, and back to your regularly scheduled discussion.
Enjoy
post #5 of 31 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 12:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Best of Luck to you Mickey. Enjoy the new ride and I am sure some new friends (remember they don't just sell motorcycles but also a new lifestyle). Wish we had the dealership support that Harley has

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 31 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 2:20 pm

As long as you and your lady are comfortable that's all that matters a bike is bike they come in all styles and sizes enjoy your new ride! I'll likely re-branding as well don't like the latest offing from bmw and I agree with the rest of your comments.

See ya on the Road

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #7 of 31 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 2:53 pm

OK, since no one else seems willing to ask, I will.
Are you going to trade in you riding gear for chaps, do-rag, brain bucket and leather vest with button extenders and the optional 35 pounds of stickers and pins?
And are you going to grow a long gray ponytail, handle-bar mustache and get piercings and tats?
And Lastly, will you be able to change to the loooooooooooooow wave?

Sorry, couldn't help myself
post #8 of 31 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 3:12 pm

CARNEYM, how could you do this? Turning your back on the ultimate ubermotorcycle company in the world for a Harley Davidson? Of all the lowly things a person could do . . .

I'm just yanking your chain buddy! It's always nice to hear when someone finds a ride they are really pleased with. I hope the new machine will provide you with lots of trouble free miles and the weather gives you the opportunity to really enjoy it!
post #9 of 31 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 3:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Congrats on the new ride. I read somewhere "you will now not have to look like a Power Ranger when you ride. Tee shirt and jeans are OK". Just don't laugh at us when we pull into a rest area with ATGAT in 100 degree weather. OK? I almost did the same thing a few months back before they announced the K1600 and elected to go with another Beemer. I will agree the Harley Ultra is a great looking ride.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
post #10 of 31 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 4:15 pm

Talking Re: Moving On to another Brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla
Congrats on the new ride. I read somewhere "you will now not have to look like a Power Ranger when you ride. Tee shirt and jeans are OK". Just don't laugh at us when we pull into a rest area with ATGAT in 100 degree weather. OK? I almost did the same thing a few months back before they announced the K1600 and elected to go with another Beemer. I will agree the Harley Ultra is a great looking ride.
Doug, you are such a badass...! I totally see you on a hog!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 31 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 4:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNEYM
. Also here in the south they don't hold their value very well. Myself and my neighbor bought new Ultra's together the same day, he traded the same year model GL1800 with 2'000 more miles than mine and got almost twice for his. I'm not being negative about it, because I did enjoy the K1200lt for 8 years.

Thanks to everyones help: Mickey
Good luck with ur new ride, a friend I ride with loves his, as far as trade in value it sucks if your selling....not if your buying I bought my 02 in 04 with 18K FOR 10k.....
post #12 of 31 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Enjoy The Ride

It seems to be a good choice for you. One of my ridding buddies bought a new 2010 Ultra Classic last year and loves it. He has close to 45,000 miles on it now with no problems so far. Enjoy your new ride Mickey.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #13 of 31 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 6:22 pm

Congratulations on your shifting gears. No, the Ultra is not in the same class as a BMW, but it is not a slouch either. The more time you spend in the saddle the more you will figure out the methods to its madness.

Early on after buying my Ultra (about 5 years ago now) I had the opportunity to talk with a LEO that participated in synchronized riding in parades. My handling of the Ultra improved 400% after that. I am not going to suggest you take the ERC class or anything like that (by the way, the ERC does not discuss those technique anyway) but if you have an opportunity to talk with an experienced parade rider, especially with LEO specific training, by all means, take the time to discuss technique. You will be amazed at what the Ultra can do, and it isn't all as intuitive as you might think.

Good luck and happy trails!

regards,
Dan

2006 K1200GT - the Jagdpanther has arrived as of 5-Aug-2011
1999 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic

Used to have:
2005 R1200GS
1994 K1100LT
1988 K75s
post #14 of 31 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 7:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Congratulations on your new purchase! With the improvements to the frame, your new Ultra will handle vastly better than the '01 I had (which was an absolute pig in the corners).

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #15 of 31 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

I just got in and read all the positive comments. This community is why I enjoyed the Beemer so much. Thanks guys and see you on the road.

Mickey
post #16 of 31 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 9:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I just got in and read all the positive comments. This community is why I enjoyed the Beemer so much. Thanks guys and see you on the road.

Mickey
Check in from time to time to let us know how you're doing and remember RTE's are for anyone who enjoys good company & good food no matter what they ride.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #17 of 31 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 11:04 am

Didn't have room for both?
post #18 of 31 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 12:01 pm

Have fun like others have said ...as long as you and your bride are happy

My buddy wants a BMW has a Ultra ...but told him if he buys a BMW his bride will have to ride naked !!!!
All she owns is Harley attire !!

Ride safe
post #19 of 31 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 8:57 pm

Have friends that have Harleys. Have riddern them a few times. Still not going to trade mine in anytime soon! But then again I don't think they will be changing either.

But I do wish we (BMW) had a better dealer network. It seems like there's a Harley dealer at every wide spot in the road!

Happy riding.

----------
Dave

2008 K1200LT Hannigan Trike
1991 K75RT (RIP)

post #20 of 31 Old Aug 26th, 2011, 11:19 pm

Quitter!!!....OK you gave it 8 years. I too have moved on to a 2010 Goldwing for similar reasons but will miss the ride of my K1200LT. I do agree with a previous poster that the Harley attitude is much different than that of other brand riders at times. I cannot understand the superior attitude while perched on an air cooled, belt drive , low tech shaking, iron horse. Similarly I don't get the pipe replacement that occurs soon after the purchase of a H.D. to make the bike 'louder'. Is it possible to even hear their sound systems? The dealer network is to be admired, with Honda a close second. In the meantime my BMW buddies and Goldwing peers will continue to ride...ride...ride in comfort and engineered quiet.
post #21 of 31 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 4:58 pm

One of the smartest things I ever did? Rent a FLHTCU with the 110 engine, brembo, brakes upgraded stereo, the works- then we rode it through the black hills....and my wife was NOT happy, even to the point of bringing it back to Black Hills HD to check out why it rode so bad. Bike was OK.. but not my thing. Now on the LT all I hear is the clicking of her dslr...
post #22 of 31 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 6:04 pm

After reading all the comments about not liking the new stuff from BMW, and the lack of dealerships makes me think of the ol' saying The grass is always greener on the otherside. I am currently a Harley rider, and looking hard at going to BMW. I am on an 06 V-rod. Love the bike, hate the whole Harley "lifestyle". Plus looking at Harleys new line-up really disappoints me. Come on, no new imagination. Just tweeks on old outdated technology. If you really look at most of your HD dealerships, they have a dozen bikes in inventory and 10,000 shirts to sell you. Everything is way over-priced just cuz of the Harley lifestyle image. The dealerships are often referred to stealerships.

Ok, so far I can understand the lack of BMW stealerships, the nearest to me is 173 miles away. That worries me a bit, but if the BMW stealerships are anything like the Harley one's then the more I can do myself and keep it out of Harley's hands the better off I will be.
post #23 of 31 Old Aug 27th, 2011, 10:01 pm

Smile Re: Moving On to another Brand

You have to ride what you like. Your situation has changed so now your brand has too. If I could ever ride again I would get either a Harley or a Victory because of the lower seat height and I tend to get hit on the Euro bikes. Enjoy!!!

Jeff Johnson
2009 Forest green Invacare powerchair
2007 Blue/dark lowers R1200RT(smacked,fixed,sold)
2005 Dark Gray LT (traded)
2002 Silver LTC (deceased 07-05-2005 by SUV)
2000 H-D FLHTP-I Cop Bike (traded for'02 LTC)
1982 H-D XLH (sold in 2002 for cop bike)
1980 H-D Low Rider (stolen by low-lifes)
1977 Triumph Tiger (sold)
1973 Honda CB450 (sold)
post #24 of 31 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 1:41 pm

I read a quote from a gentleman who rides a Kawasaki 250. He rides it everywhere. Has ridden it from coast to coast. He says "It's not what you ride, It's that you ride."
Good luck with your Harley. I'm sure you and the missus will have just as many great adventures on it as you did on your Beemer. And you will continue to Live-to-Ride and Ride-to-Eat. Be safe

Romeo
In my garage:
2014 BMW K1600GTL
2016 Ducati XDiavel S (wife's)
2013 Son's Triumph Daytona 675 Jason DeSalvo Limited Edition. Only 40 built, he has #9
2017 Ducati Monster 1200R (son's)
post #25 of 31 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 3:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo157
I read a quote from a gentleman who rides a Kawasaki 250. He rides it everywhere. Has ridden it from coast to coast. He says "It's not what you ride, It's that you ride."
Good luck with your Harley. I'm sure you and the missus will have just as many great adventures on it as you did on your Beemer. And you will continue to Live-to-Ride and Ride-to-Eat. Be safe
I can't argue with that logic. I rode a Kawasaki KH400 when I was a teen, but I would hate to travel far on that slab saddle at my age now!

It is true that one can travel on almost any bike, but for me the level of enjoyment is much higher when I am comfortable. The LT was simply more comfortable than the Harley Ultra all things considered. I think the Harley had a better saddle, but the vibration, noise and wind buffeting would be very uncomfortable after 8-10 hours. My Kawasaki Voyager XII was nearly as comfortable as the LT and with a different saddle would have been as comfortable, but alas Kawasaki saw fit to drop that and make an Ultra clone. If I wanted an Ultra I would buy the real thing! :-)

The only bike as comfortable as the LT for two-up traveling is the Wing, but I have a number of reasons for not wanting a Wing. However, given that BMW has moved towards the sporting side of touring with the GTL, I may have to eat my words and consider a Wing when the time comes to replace my 07 LT. That should be a few years down the road so maybe something better will come along in that time. I would love to see more choices in the luxury touring market, but Honda has such a lock on it with the Wing that I am not optimistic anyone else will jump into the fray. This market is primarily an American market and I don't think many bike makers will invest in such a niche market these days.

BMW has likely made a very good marketing decision with the GTL even though it isn't what I would prefer personally.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #26 of 31 Old Aug 28th, 2011, 6:54 pm

CARNEYN. When I walked into my dealership to order my RT, I could not get my friends comments out of my head. He is a BIG lover of HD and to this day does not own a bike. Now he is ready to buy and findes him self looking at the GTL really closely. I don’t know witch he will go but this I know the Ultra Glide is a very nice ride for the passenger. Enjoy your new ride!

2 Ride video"s

IBA 53744
BMW J&M CB
Sirius/XM Radio
Hyper-Lights
IBA 53744
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein.

A Twist of the Wrist is all that's needed.....
post #27 of 31 Old Aug 30th, 2011, 8:04 am Thread Starter

With so many comments on this post, I thought I would give you a update. So far I have around 800 miles on the Harley, and it has taken some getting used to . The controls being out front is the biggest adjustment. Now I don't know about the Harleys of the past, but I was pleasantly surprised with the power of the 103 engine, it's got more than I need. Also I was really worried about the handling on twisty roads. I don't know if it's the redesign frame or larger rear tire, but this things handles very good. I have no problems running the back roads that I rode on the LT at the same speeds. The bike is a dream compared to the LT at slow speeds (parking lot). I also know that most people think that these bikes shake and rattle down the road and I will tell you after you pull off from stop the bike smooth's out and at highway speeds the engine and ride is as smooth as the LT. Six gear is a true road gear, you don't use it unless around 50 mph. Now some dislikes. Wind buffeting, I like to look over the shield, will have to change that, and will probably make the buffeting worst. Passenger room, I put a driver backrest on and it crowded my wife, I will have to put on a trunk relocate kit that moves the trunk back a few inches. Now the big dislike HEAT, this thing is HOT especially for the passenger. We have rode in this MS heat a few weekends and her leg got so hot, she would pull her feet up in my lap. Some say, get rid of the CAT and that will fix the problem, don't know. Luckily we ride mostly in cooler time of the year fall and spring, did I say this thing is HOT. So to sum it up I was ready for a change, and overall like the Harley, we will ride it and enjoy, then maybe after 8 years we will change to something else.
Mickey
post #28 of 31 Old Aug 30th, 2011, 9:19 am

CARNEYM,
I am not sure which HD you picked up but I put a clear Clear View Shield with the optional 'recurve' on my Ultra and it allows me to look over the shield and not suffer with buffeting or wind blast.

http://clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=11

As for the handling on twisty roads, yes, surprising isn't it. With all the HD bashing you read on the non-HD forums ("they go so slow...") they really are not bad handling bikes. I just wish my old '99 had ABS brakes.

When I went from my 1994 K1100LT to my 1999 HD Ultra it took about 3 corners for me to find the floorboads. The cornering clearance is a lot less than you would have been used to on the LT but not everyone rides corners that way and needs the clearance!

When I tour, whether it is on my HD or BMW, I like to stop at the scenic turnouts, check out interesting things, and stop and take hikes. I am not one of those riders that likes to blast 600 miles as fast as possible to get to a twisty road to then ride that road as fast as possible, then blast the 600 miles home. I like to see the stuff along the way too!

Enjoy the ride, the time will never come back...

regards,
Dan

2006 K1200GT - the Jagdpanther has arrived as of 5-Aug-2011
1999 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic

Used to have:
2005 R1200GS
1994 K1100LT
1988 K75s
post #29 of 31 Old Aug 30th, 2011, 7:31 pm

Not bad mouthing here as I like the looks of the Ultra's .But after eight years and say 90k it will probably loose as much or more value then your LT. Resale is the only place a Goldwing looks good to me. Enjoy your new ride. I guess I'm snake bit I'm still defending my old LT.
post #30 of 31 Old Aug 30th, 2011, 8:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
With so many comments on this post, I thought I would give you a update. So far I have around 800 miles on the Harley, and it has taken some getting used to . The controls being out front is the biggest adjustment. Now I don't know about the Harleys of the past, but I was pleasantly surprised with the power of the 103 engine, it's got more than I need. Also I was really worried about the handling on twisty roads. I don't know if it's the redesign frame or larger rear tire, but this things handles very good. I have no problems running the back roads that I rode on the LT at the same speeds. The bike is a dream compared to the LT at slow speeds (parking lot). I also know that most people think that these bikes shake and rattle down the road and I will tell you after you pull off from stop the bike smooth's out and at highway speeds the engine and ride is as smooth as the LT. Six gear is a true road gear, you don't use it unless around 50 mph. Now some dislikes. Wind buffeting, I like to look over the shield, will have to change that, and will probably make the buffeting worst. Passenger room, I put a driver backrest on and it crowded my wife, I will have to put on a trunk relocate kit that moves the trunk back a few inches. Now the big dislike HEAT, this thing is HOT especially for the passenger. We have rode in this MS heat a few weekends and her leg got so hot, she would pull her feet up in my lap. Some say, get rid of the CAT and that will fix the problem, don't know. Luckily we ride mostly in cooler time of the year fall and spring, did I say this thing is HOT. So to sum it up I was ready for a change, and overall like the Harley, we will ride it and enjoy, then maybe after 8 years we will change to something else.
Mickey
It sounds like they have made some improvements since 2007.

I test rode a 2007 Ultra before I bought my 2007 LT. I was really hoping to like the HD since I have three dealers within 30 miles of me whereas my nearest BMW dealer is 110 miles away. However, was not to be.

The Harley had adequate power, and very nice low-end torque, but it wasn't close to the LT or even my former Voyager XII.

The controls were decent, but felt heavy and clunky compared to the BMW and Kaw. The bike did shift reasonably well and the brakes were OK, but not ABS.

The driver's seat was very comfy, but my wife wasn't as enthralled with the passenger seat.

The wind protection was seriously deficient, particularly for the passenger.

What really got me was the vibration. At idle, the mirrors were totally useless from the shaking and it seemed everything on the bike was moving. And at a steady 60 MPH, the mirrors were still greatly impaired. I could tell I had a vehicle behind me, but I could not tell you what make or model it was. With the LT, no problem. And if I held my teeth close together, they would literally chatter from the vibration at 60. I just could not see myself riding 600 miles a day on that machine.

And, we rode it on a fairly cool day and I was convinced that an air cooled engine was not for me.

I keep hoping that Harley will put the V-Rod engine into a touring platform as I think they could make quite a nice machine, but it does not appear they are interested in expanding their market to those who don't want to old-tech air-cooled engines.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #31 of 31 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 9:21 am

just remember to wave at all riders not just harley riders

93 katana 600 wrecked
82 v45 magna sold (never should have)
80 xj650 maxim sold but not forgotten
99 K1200LT Lovin' it!
any @ss can ride fast, it takes a pro to ride slow... one day i could be that pro.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in