Ironbutt ride advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

Question Ironbutt ride advice

I'm thinking of doing the Bun burner Iron butt ride. That is 1500 miles in 36hrs. I'll be leaving from Northern MI. Tentatively I'm thinking of heading down I-69 to I-65 down to Nashville, over to Knoxville then back up I-75 to home. Am I right in thinking that the weekend is the best time to do this? No construction, no commuter traffic. What about leaving Sat morn on Labor Day weekend. It seems that most vacationers would already be to their destination by then.

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 9:17 pm

Re: Ironbutt ride advice

That sounds like a good plan.... If you can time it so that you hit the larger cities either very early oy or late (not bar close time thou), that might help as well... Is this your first IB attempt..?
post #3 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spd
That sounds like a good plan.... If you can time it so that you hit the larger cities either very early oy or late (not bar close time thou), that might help as well... Is this your first IB attempt..?

Yes this will be my first one!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #4 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 9:32 pm

Not to brag or sound like I know it all - that's the farthest from the truth... But I have done several 1000's and a 2000 Iron butt rides.... The few things I found to be the most beneficial is to plan your ride/ride your plan and to monitor the length of your breaks - it's not easy as one would think to "make up time" on the road. Also - make sure you diligently record/maintian your documents as needed. Other than that - it's alot of fun and great feeling of accomplishment. Enjoy!!
post #5 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 9:38 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spd
Not to brag or sound like I know it all - that's the farthest from the truth... But I have done several 1000's and a 2000 Iron butt rides.... The few things I found to be the most beneficial is to plan your ride/ride your plan and to monitor the length of your breaks - it's not easy as one would think to "make up time" on the road. Also - make sure you diligently record/maintian your documents as needed. Other than that - it's alot of fun and great feeling of accomplishment. Enjoy!!
Plus 1
I use my GPR to keep up with time stopped & Average "Moving Speed" If you can keep your moving speed up around 65 mph & limit stop time you will have no trouble .

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 11:13 pm

I hate the over and over again single lane construction zones, even if there is no active construction they can be backed up. I did a ss2000 about a month ago, the endless construction across Oh, In, and Il was painful, just felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. I knew it was going to be a long night from the lost time. Did 1187 the 1st day and 965 the 2nd. I just plan an approx night stop so I know I am within striking distance for the 2nd day and do whatever it takes to get there. Then base my starting time the 2nd day on a good cushion for the remaining miles. With the LT I find I have a daily average of about 60-62 mph. In a couple weeks I'm combining a Great Lakes 1000 with the bb gold 1500. Where you live one of the Great Lakes rides would be a good choice.

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #7 of 25 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 4:47 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduro
I hate the over and over again single lane construction zones, even if there is no active construction they can be backed up. I did a ss2000 about a month ago, the endless construction across Oh, In, and Il was painful, just felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. I knew it was going to be a long night from the lost time. Did 1187 the 1st day and 965 the 2nd. I just plan an approx night stop so I know I am within striking distance for the 2nd day and do whatever it takes to get there. Then base my starting time the 2nd day on a good cushion for the remaining miles. With the LT I find I have a daily average of about 60-62 mph. In a couple weeks I'm combining a Great Lakes 1000 with the bb gold 1500. Where you live one of the Great Lakes rides would be a good choice.

Good advice, I hadn't thought about a short motel stop the get some rest.

I will do the Great Lakes ride someday but for my first one I wanted to stick to the Freeways.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #8 of 25 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 6:08 am

I just did my first SS 1000 and your plan sounds good overall. I know some people who do the 1500 time it to arrive home after the 1000 SS mles, sleep and then knock off the last 500.

Additional tips that really helped me on the SS:
-use google latitude so others can track your progress and to provide an extra record of your route.
-constantly drink water and stay hydrated.
-take tylenol or aleve before you leave and every 6 hours
-a book on tape helped stay alert in the last hours of the ride
-LD underwear and first gear mesh pants took the sore out of the saddle. 2 wallyworld auto gelpads were helpful too.
-avoid rain as it will slow you down not to mention being miserable.

Have fun!
post #9 of 25 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 6:09 am

I'd stay away from Labor Day weekend. There can be a lot of traffic on Saturday and Monday is always crazy. I think your route is pretty sound. I'd even look at doing it during the week as long as you stayed away from the big cities at the typical rush hours. Even then you don't lose that much time. During the week businesses are open. Not so much during the weekend. As has been said above, documentation is the big thing. And when you're ready for the Great Lakes Gold, let me know. I can help with the planning on that. Whatever you decide, GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #10 of 25 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 7:07 am

You're relatively construction-free in Indiana from MI line to Indy on 69 and on 65 at least to Louisville. There's an overhead bridge they're redoing just before you hit Indy (around exit5 on 69) that's still got both lanes open, but it backs up morning and evening pretty good (who am I kidding, I-69 & 465 interchange is backed up ALL the time!). You should be in good shape, at least through Hoosierville. Good Luck!

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #11 of 25 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 9:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by remphoto
-constantly drink water and stay hydrated.
-take tylenol or aleve before you leave and every 6 hours
Good knowledge! I've done 2 - SS1000, and an "honorary" BBG ($&*%&@!! tire.... turned out to be a BunBurner, but tires are part of the challenge ).

I took Advil at the beginning, and about every 5-6 hours on the BB, and butt never burned.

Used a hydration water backpack, so I could sip water every few minutes (rather than guzzle every once in a while). Kept me hydrated, and minimized pee stops.

Kept bananas and Fig Newtons in the tank bag, along with Jerky. Never had to stop to eat.

IF YOU GET SLEEPY stop at a highway rest stop, and simply stretch out on a picnic table for a short nap - works wonders (and on a SS1000 you should have time). Don't try to ride while sleepy.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #12 of 25 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 9:49 am

I would take it easy on the fig newtons! Not quite as good as prunes but darn near!! Jerky is good! Lots of compact energy and tasty to boot.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Good knowledge! I've done 2 - SS1000, and an "honorary" BBG ($&*%&@!! tire.... turned out to be a BunBurner, but tires are part of the challenge ).

I took Advil at the beginning, and about every 5-6 hours on the BB, and butt never burned.

Used a hydration water backpack, so I could sip water every few minutes (rather than guzzle every once in a while). Kept me hydrated, and minimized pee stops.

Kept bananas and Fig Newtons in the tank bag, along with Jerky. Never had to stop to eat.

IF YOU GET SLEEPY stop at a highway rest stop, and simply stretch out on a picnic table for a short nap - works wonders (and on a SS1000 you should have time). Don't try to ride while sleepy.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #13 of 25 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 10:09 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee

+1 Start well rested, know your tolerance. The pain reliever helps with fatigue believe it or not. For long distance rides, I ride about 1/2 tank of gas, get off, walk, drink, pee, eat, whatever. Ride until I need fuel, get off, fill up, walk, drink, pee, eat, whatever. Limit stops other than meals to 10 min. Get someplace cool if it's hot. That's 7 breaks every 1k miles, 5 at 10 min, 2 (meals) at 1/2 hour for total @ 2 hours stopped every 1k. That's about 18 hours for an SS1000. If you notice you're starting to fixate or feel "drained," get off the road and rest.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #14 of 25 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 11:49 am

I find Sunday (starting at about 2:00 am, so you do dark while you're fresh) a good low traffic day to ride LD, especially on Interstates thru cities.
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate............................
Don't forget to get gas or mints or ?? every time you change roads to help document your route.........................
A small tupperware container with a slot cut in the top is a safe way to keep receipts.....
have a good adventure.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #15 of 25 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 8:20 pm Thread Starter

Again, thanks for all the great advice. I wouldn't have taken the painkillers but now I will. I think I might do this ride starting Saturday of Labor Day weekend.

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #16 of 25 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 10:44 pm

I did my Iron Butt ride several years ago, starting about 1 minute after my 70th birthday. I decided to ride it at night as the GoldWing has wonderful lights, temperature was not that bad on Feb 25th down here and much less traffic at night. Also I wanted to be sure that I never rode looking into the sun. We dressed warm and both of us were on Wings and it had good coverage against the wind.

So we left Valdosta, GA and rode I-75 south until we hit I-10 to Jacksonville, FL, then we turned North on I-95 and rode through some really heavy fog for a couple of hours. Stayed on I-95 out to a little west of Florence, SC where we hit I-20 west. After an hour or so going west on I-20 the sun was coming up on our backs and we highballed it through Atlanta where we took I-85 south west and rode that through the mid-afternoon on to Montgomery, AL. There we got off the interstates and took Hwy 231 into Dothan, AL where we loaded up on several dozen raw oysters at Hunts Oyster Bar. Then on to Hwy 84 which is mostly 4 lane, back into Georgia and to Valdosta, arriving there at about 6:30 pm and the Garmin GPS said we'd done 1,162 miles in 18½ hours.

I felt really good and thought, like lots I imagine, that I'd sleep for a few hours and then hit the road and get in the other 400 miles to make it a 1,500. But when my butt hit the sack I was gone for a day. But we had fun and it was nice to say I did the 1,162 on my birthday.

Note - my best friend is a doctor. Have ridden with him for thousands of miles. He says that a Tylenol and an Excedrin taken together will give you about the same boost as one of those 'energy' drinks. I chose the two pills. Boosted me up and took care of the pain from my degenerative disk in the back. The Utopia back rest helped loads too. Take two pair of sun glasses as you might leave one up on top of a gas pump Snicker bars quench the hunger and boost you also. Drink plenty of water. Pee at each stop, especially in winter time. A full bladder makes you colder. Remember to get a receipt at every stop and at every road change as that has the date and time on it.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

Last edited by tconnell; Aug 18th, 2011 at 10:58 pm.
post #17 of 25 Old Sep 4th, 2011, 2:24 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Ironbutt ride advice

Well, I did it!!!

I just got home, 1605 miles in 33 hrs. I put in 1000 miles in about 16 hours so I should qualify for the SS1000 and the BB1500.

Thank you again for the advice it really helped me! The camelback for water and motrin every 5-6 hours helped. I had temps over 100 deg for about 5hrs. I drank lots of water and think I only peed once in that 16hrs. About 2 hrs into the ride the hose for the camelback blew around into my seat. (I had it tied down on the passenger seat) I sat on the hose and drained a bunch of water into the saddle soaking my left butt cheek!!. It didn't take long to dry out because of the heat!

I took the route that I originally posted and was on track for the BB gold (1500 miles in less that 24hrs) but I hit rain about 40 miles west of Knoxville and thunderstorms on I75 north of Knoxville. That really slowed me down. I started getting tired around midnight and didn't think it safe to ride in the rain while tired so I got a room for a few hours to rest up.

That heat frankly was miserable, I don't know how you guys in those hot southern states ride all summer.

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #18 of 25 Old Sep 4th, 2011, 4:27 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Congrats, David!

Smart move to stop and get the rest when you needed it. Your body will tell you what it needs, if you only listen.

An SS1000 and a BB1500 is a great accomplishment that you can be proud of.

And yes, a BBG 1500/24 is much harder. There's a reason that's listed as an "extreme" ride, and not recommended for your first time. There is simply no time to spare, and a lot of things that can easily slow you down.

And now, the map will seem much smaller than it used to . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 25 Old Sep 4th, 2011, 6:50 pm

Congratulations David! Glad it all worked out so well and you are safely home.

16 hrs between pees might be a little long. Every 4-6 hrs would probably mean you are getting enough water. Urine color is also a good indicator of adequate hydration. Coors Light color is good (the beer sucks IMO), very much darker is not so good. If you get to Guinness color go to the nearest emergency room!

We actually once had a doctor specify the color of urine we were targeting by using beer as the indicator. It was charted too! (permanent patient record)

Once again, congratulations!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #20 of 25 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 12:39 am

Good job David. You handled the ride with good judgement regarding the rain and safety.
post #21 of 25 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 7:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey
Well, I did it!!!

That heat frankly was miserable, I don't know how you guys in those hot southern states ride all summer.

David
Nice ride.... I'm planning one for this Saturday morning. Just a 1,000 miles though...

You are right about the heat in the south. I just don't ride much in the summer. For me it is just too hot and miserable. The riding season for me is just starting and the rules for hydration should not be broker or bruised. If the pee is too dark, drink more water and an occasional sports drinks for the electrolytes, but not just sports drink. If you are not peeing enough, there is something wrong. At least every few hours for most people or you are not drinking enough.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #22 of 25 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Well, I did it!!!

I just got home, 1605 miles in 33 hrs. I put in 1000 miles in about 16 hours so I should qualify for the SS1000 and the BB1500.
I passed a black LT headed south loaded for bear somewhere around Muncie, IN on I-69 saturday morning around 10 or 11am, and wondered if it was you...

Congratulations!!!

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #23 of 25 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 5:52 pm

Congratulations on your Iron Butt ride. When the certificate comes get a nice frame and display it proudly!

Joseph O'Neal in Owensboro, KY

2003 K1200 LT [/FONT]
post #24 of 25 Old Sep 5th, 2011, 5:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch102
I passed a black LT headed south loaded for bear somewhere around Muncie, IN on I-69 saturday morning around 10 or 11am, and wondered if it was you...

Congratulations!!!

I'll bet it was me, I got gas just south of Fort Wayne in a little place called Markle at around 10am!!!

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #25 of 25 Old Sep 7th, 2011, 5:31 am

Quote:
I'll bet it was me, I got gas just south of Fort Wayne in a little place called Markle at around 10am!!!

David
Yeah, this was about 20 miles south of Markle. Musta been you!

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in