New Corbin seat - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

New Corbin seat

I bought a used Corbin off of this site and just got it today. I put it on and went for about a 60 mile ride. I like the seat ALOT!! Much better than the stock seat.

The only problem is that the seat is much wider than the stock seat making it harder to maneuver the bike around. I have a 30" inseam and am on my tip toes trying to move this bike. With the stock seat I could stand flat footed on the bike.

I'll be more worried than ever now trying to get her off of the center stand.

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 8:42 pm

Re: New Corbin seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey
I bought a used Corbin off of this site and just got it today. I put it on and went for about a 60 mile ride. I like the seat ALOT!! Much better than the stock seat.

The only problem is that the seat is much wider than the stock seat making it harder to maneuver the bike around. I have a 30" inseam and am on my tip toes trying to move this bike. With the stock seat I could stand flat footed on the bike.

David
Go see a good shoe cobbler in your area and have them re-sole your riding boots (if the boot can be re-soled) using a thicker sole material and one that is skid resistant with grip. There is a specific sole material that a good cobbler will know about. Added ~1" to my Ropers for when I ride ole Toad to the rodeo!!!
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Go see a good shoe cobbler in your area and have them re-sole your riding boots (if the boot can be re-soled) using a thicker sole material and one that is skid resistant with grip. There is a specific sole material that a good cobbler will know about. Added ~1" to my Ropers for when I ride ole Toad to the rodeo!!!

What about a technique for riding off of the center stand?? Put her in gear, lean back so the back tire hits the ground, then pop the clutch!!! LOL

Someone should try this and let me know how it goes!!!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 9:13 pm

I have seen that, the popping the clutch trick. Guy on an R1150 did it at Sturgis, while his wife wateched. Leaned back, popped clutch and zing off the center stand. Not so sure about doing that on my LT though....
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 7:22 am

Found the same on my Corbin Seat. Use this seat from beginnig of this Year. I push the Bike from the Center stand just with my body weight both hands on the handle bar and push it forward. Then you have to learn to handle the Bike on your foot tips. Is no problem at all.

Manfred
post #6 of 13 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 7:32 am

I watch the guys at the local dealership in Tampa move the bikes around like it's nothing from the side. They never sit on the bike and move it. It's all from the side. All over the parking lot... Me, NO WAY! When it's time to get off of the center stand, I make sure it is either in N or I pull in the clutch and then just rock it forward. Of course, I don't have an electric center stand. Not sure how they work.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 7:52 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreuter
Found the same on my Corbin Seat. Use this seat from beginnig of this Year. I push the Bike from the Center stand just with my body weight both hands on the handle bar and push it forward. Then you have to learn to handle the Bike on your foot tips. Is no problem at all.

Manfred

I was seriously considering putting the stock seat back on the LT for a poker run my wife and I are going on today. After reading your post (again) I am going to give it a try with her on board just to see how I do on my tip toes. I'm still pretty uncomfortable by myself. I will avoid using the center stand today.

I was thinking that I would use the stock seat with the airhawk for riding to work and short rides around town then switch to the Corbin for longer rides. But that would be a pain.

We'll see how it goes today!

I will be checking into getting some new, thicker soles put on.

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #8 of 13 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 11:41 pm

Garage

Perhaps I am one of the fortunate few with long inseam measure.
My buddy has the 1st LT K100LT 1987 champaign in color with black airplane engine. I hope I am right with the info. However it is about 500 pounds light I got an inch on him. Well he rides off his center stand alot and even when he had my 1st bike a KZ1000st. I have noticed over the years he always hits the ground balanced and ready to ride.
I would never chance that on an 850 pound machine that is already top weighted. Front wheel in the wrong position and it is all over. At my dealership bike movement from show room floor or to service facility is walked in from side position.
One more thing it makes me wonder if riding off the CS is in any way shortening the life of the hydraulic CS.
ride safe
post #9 of 13 Old Aug 21st, 2011, 7:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey

David
I question leaving it on the center stand. I know that conditions vary, but I only use my center stand when I'm working on my bike.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 13 Old Aug 21st, 2011, 7:24 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I question leaving it on the center stand. I know that conditions vary, but I only use my center stand when I'm working on my bike.

Dan, I would love to know if one should limit the use of the center stand. I ride my LT to work every weekday and I use the electric CS at work and then I use it when I park in my garage.

Is this too much use of the CS??

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #11 of 13 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 7:40 pm

Garage

I would tend to think the CS does not come with a limited use restriction.
I have only had 3 bikes and all had cs. That was always how it was parked except when common sense deemed it not practical. As a matter of fact I gassed up both bikes before this on the cs. But I will let a more experienced LT owner voice his/her opinion.
ride safe
post #12 of 13 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:47 pm

I rarely park my LT on the side stand. Come to think of it, only when fueling.

No wonder I've got all these danged mosquitoes chasing me all OVER the place.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 10:40 am

I'm only 5'7. I only use the centerstand on the lift or when checking air in back tire. But when I do take it off the centerstand, I always have the engine running so the brakes are fully operational. YMMV

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in