Bike won't start, Oh No Not Again - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 10:33 am Thread Starter

Bike won't start, Oh No Not Again

I hate to beat this dead horse again but my bike won't start. Same as everybody, I just put it away and the next day it was dead. New battery, and I put the charger on it. All the lights come on and you can hear the computer kick in, at least thats what I think it is. Turn on the key, push the button and nothing. Lights don't dim. I rocked it, I put it in gear, I took it out of gear, I checked reverse, I checked the kickstand. I think I did everything mentioned in the last "Bike won't start" post. Now what do I do? Oh yes My bike is a 2001 LT with 43,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 11:19 am

Re: Bike won't start, Oh No Not Again

DAmn that sucks... Too many safety's on the LT

I can't tell you how to do it,, But I'd start with bypassing the side stand switch...

With the bike in neutral, All the other safety's are out of play except the sidestand switch.
And probably something inside the reverse assembly.. Let's hope you don't have to go there.. Did this just happen after you had it in reverse ?

But, just for fun.. Put your meter (( you do have one don't you ? ) across the battery terminals. Turn turn on the key, and hit the start button..

Assuming you're in neutral and on the center stand..

See what the voltage is doing..
But the fact that the headlight is staying on is an indicator that the load shed relay is not energizing...Which puts you back to the side stand switch..

I suppose the voltage could be low enough for the headlight to still work but the start circuit won't energize...Assuming you've had the starter relay mod...

I'm thinking sidestand switch or bad battery...

Have you tried sidestand up, IN gear and clutch lever pulled in ?

Kill switch ?

John Zeiler will chime in here with the real for sure, for sure diagnosis....

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JPSpen; Aug 17th, 2011 at 11:31 am.
post #3 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 11:43 am Thread Starter

JSPen, I did what you suggested with the meter. No change at all. The side stand should not be an issue because it's never down. I converted the bike to a trike right after the first time I dropped it. Luckily it was in the driveway at home. Unluckily I couldn't find anybody to help me and I manned it up myself, the wrong way. Man that was a lesson learned.

post #4 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 11:46 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

But was the switch bypassed in the harness? The switch can still fail even if it is not used. By the way what was the voltage you measured?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 11:56 am Thread Starter

Well my eyes aren't what they used to be but it looks like 12 volts on the meter. I put the charger on the battery and it shows full plus everything else works and the battery is less than a year old.
post #6 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Do you have the factory alarm on the bike?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

No sir, no alarm.
post #8 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 12:16 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I believe all the bikes made from 2000 on had the alarm from the factory. Worth a check. Just pop off the top case and look under that remaining cover - if you see a big hole - no alarm.

Often the previous owners "program" the "imobilizer" to be off so they don't have to use a FOB every time they start. Changing a battery or having a battery go low or having the alarm internal battery go bad can cause it to revert to "imobilizer" ON. Thus requiring a push of the FOB button to get the starter to operate.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #9 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 1:37 pm Thread Starter

John, Did I fail to mention this is my very first bike, and I have the mechanical ability of a chimpanzee. OK that said, I figured out the top case, and the plate under it. There is nothing there. A plug on the right with something plugged in and another on the left but nothing plugged into it. I have put the charger back on, and it says its fully charged. When I tried to start it, the starter turned over but would not start. It did it again a second time so now I think it might be the battery. I left the charger on and I will try later. In any case I think I may have to replace the battery and I got to see parts of the bike I hope I never have to see again.
post #10 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchaas
I hate to beat this dead horse again but my bike won't start. Same as everybody, I just put it away and the next day it was dead. New battery, and I put the charger on it. All the lights come on and you can hear the computer kick in, at least thats what I think it is. Turn on the key, push the button and nothing. Lights don't dim. I rocked it, I put it in gear, I took it out of gear, I checked reverse, I checked the kickstand. I think I did everything mentioned in the last "Bike won't start" post. Now what do I do? Oh yes My bike is a 2001 LT with 43,000 miles.
Just a thought based on what you're saying but is it possible the starter is hosed or has the shed relay failed

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #11 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 3:16 pm Thread Starter

Well I am very happy to report that I just got the bike to start. I left the charger on much longer then before and I guess it finally got all the juice it needed. Now, should I take it and have it replaced, it should be under warranty, or could it be it's not being charged when the engine is running?
post #12 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 3:20 pm

Curious, what charger, what battery?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #13 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 3:30 pm Thread Starter

Well it's an Odyssey battery, 14 months old and a little two amp charger.
post #14 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 8:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchaas
Well it's an Odyssey battery, 14 months old and a little two amp charger.
That might be an answer to your problem. AGM battery can not be charged with a two amp battery if the battery becomes discharged, it can only maintain a charge with 2 amps. According to the Odyssey manual.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #15 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 8:57 pm

I have to agree with this. I also have an Odyssey. When it is discharged, my 15 amp charger reads out 7-8 amps while charging, then switches to 2-amp mode when near/fully charged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
That might be an answer to your problem. AGM battery can not be charged with a two amp battery if the battery becomes discharged, it can only maintain a charge with 2 amps. According to the Odyssey manual.

'15 GTLE

post #16 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 9:03 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The Odyssey is a very robust battery and will come back from the dead if you charge it fully. Most batteries will not. I have resurected a few fully dead Odyssey batteries and they are still going today. Get a good charge on it and you should be OK.
Not bad for a chimp!!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #17 of 25 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 9:59 am Thread Starter

I don't know. I got it started, shut it off for two hours, went back out to take a ride and bingo, won't start, but, it did have enough to turn over the starter. I hate to keep charging the battery if it's bad, and I get it running and go for a ride and shut it off. You know what happens next.
post #18 of 25 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 10:08 am Thread Starter

OK this morning I replaced the charger, put it on 4 amp charge and it quickly showed full charge and went into a coast mode. Did the same thing on 6 amp charge. I switched it back to 4 amp and will let it go for another hour or so and see what happens.
post #19 of 25 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 12:12 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

One other good check of battery condition is to disconnect it from the bike and charge it fully. Then let it sit disconnected for 24 hours then measure the terminal voltage. If it is not 12.6 or above then you have a marginal battery.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #20 of 25 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 6:50 pm Thread Starter

Took the battery back to the dealer in St Louis. They put it on a charger for 2 1/2hrs and it only showed 43% charged, this is after I had charged it for quite a while at home. They replaced it with a brand new one. I'll have to wait till till tomorrow to hook it up. OK everybody put me on your prayer chain. Hopefully god is not a Harley owner.
post #21 of 25 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 6:52 pm

wonder if the starter is drawing too many amps?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #22 of 25 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 10:53 am Thread Starter

YEEEEHHHAAAAAAA Put the new battery in this morning and it took right off. Went for a short ride then parked it back in the shed. I'll wait a few hours to see if it holds up or something may be stealing the juice.
post #23 of 25 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Good news on the new battery.
You don't have the DICE ippod connection do you.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #24 of 25 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 12:47 pm Thread Starter

Not sure Michael, what is it?
post #25 of 25 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 12:55 pm Thread Starter

OK Mike now I know I don't have a dice ipod connection. I'm not too hep to the new stuff so I had to look it up. I hardly ever listen to the CD player and I took the radio antenna off to put the cover on the bike and wouldn't you know it the d--n thing disappeared. I ask the parts man at Gateway BMW about a replacement yesterday and he said it would cost me $63.00 for a new one so I guess I will load the CD player instead. Hell I'm retired.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in