Dropped the LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Aug 16th, 2011, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

Dropped the LT

Well, it happened to me tonight. I had my 09 LT on the center stand in a gravel parking lot, when I pushed her off the stand she was leaning a little to the left and my foot slipped on the gravel and down she went. Like a dummy I had my Jpegs out and the left one is really bent up. No other damage that I could see in the dark.

What are my options with the Jpeg? can I order a replacement bolt?

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Aug 16th, 2011, 9:37 pm

Re: Dropped the LT

Sorry to hear about your drop, hopefully its just a bent bracket.

Bill (aka Chipper)
Elk Grove Ca.
2014 K1600GTL-E
2009 K1200LT (BLACK)-Traded In
2004 RTP Work Bike(Retired)
2002 LTE Totaled Aug/2011)
1978 H-D LowRider
1975 Honda-Goldwing
post #3 of 27 Old Aug 16th, 2011, 11:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Last time I looked. Raffy (just ride it accessories) still had bolt kits for the j pegs. also someone had spare mounting plates in the classified section.
Steve.

post #4 of 27 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 12:35 am
Super Moderator

I believe the most common reason for dropping the whale is unsure footings on gravel, sand and road debris.
You sir have just added to this statistic - sounds like you got it up and are okay!!

Every time you park and mount the beast is a drop opportunity - mine has been over many times because of
this - in fact I just dropped it at the BMWMOA inside one of the buildings - some people thought it was a
demo - not!!

When you need parts for the jpegs just go to the source:

http://www.ccmotorcycles.com/

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #5 of 27 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 1:03 am

Now this is where quick thinking would have been perfect. Something like.... All right, crowd on in now and I'll show you the easy way to upright this fine motorcycle! (Best delivered with a straight face and with an open tank bag nearby to accept gratuities!)

It has been my experience that these things never happen at a convenient time or when no one is present to enjoy the spectacle.

Sorry to hear about your jpeg.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
..... end snip Every time you park and mount the beast is a drop opportunity - mine has been over many times because of this - in fact I just dropped it at the BMWMOA inside one of the buildings - some people thought it was a demo - not!!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #6 of 27 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 8:46 am

Talking Re: Dropped the LT

Outstanding.....................you've joined a great club. LOL

I still have the DA club emblem on the side of my bike and the "don't laugh and help me pick this thing up" sticker on the bottom of my left compartment.

Can't say as I've seen anyone else displaying the emblem since there aren't many LT's in my neck of the woods. At the last CCR I attended, I didn't see any then eother. Guys just aren't as proud of their drops as I am. LOL

Oh, OH, I'm due for the next one soon as it's been about a year since my last drop in my gravel driveway. UGH!

That bugger is hard to get back up in gravel footing, but sounds like you got it up OK.

Sorry about the J-peg damage.

Carry on!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #7 of 27 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 8:59 am

Reminds my of my most embarrassing drop. Shortly after I first bought the LT, I rode to the BMWMOA rally in West Bend, Wi.

I has parked it in the lot in front of the registration tent on the center stand because the asphalt was sloped the wrong way (or I was going the wrong way for it, but you know).

When I got done and back on, I was struggling as we do when the springs are new to get it off the center stand, and my right foot came down in dirt and loose rock and

I learned right then that the rubber wing covered steel and the side bags were strong as steel and that they could hold all 850 lb. plus baggage off my legs. Sure was embarrassing to do that in front of dozens of other BMW riders, but then, I had a lot of help picking it back up at the same time.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #8 of 27 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 9:12 am

Don't you know the Jpegs are there to protect the tip over wings? Good thing you had them deployed or they would of poked a hole in the tupperware. I've had it happen both ways and just bend the jpegs back into position.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #9 of 27 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 4:04 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

I feel better after reading your posts!! (I'm not the only one who has done this)

This tip over happened at night with no one around (since my buddy had already taken off) I think the Jpeg kept the bike a little more upright than it would otherwise have been making in a little easier to upright. I turned around with my back to the bike, grabbed the side case handle with my left hand and grabbed the handle bars with my right and tried to keep my back straight and lift with my legs, I'm not saying it was easy but I was able to do it myself.

Thanks for the humor and the info regarding replacement parts, I think I can get by with some shoulder bolts, spring and bearing. I just placed the order.

Thanks again,

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #10 of 27 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 4:53 pm

Dave, like someone else said you may just need the bolt, don't ask me how I know!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #11 of 27 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 5:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey
Well, it happened to me tonight. I had my 09 LT on the center stand in a gravel parking lot, when I pushed her off the stand she was leaning a little to the left and my foot slipped on the gravel and down she went. Like a dummy I had my Jpegs out and the left one is really bent up. No other damage that I could see in the dark.

David

David,

This should make you and other first time droppers feel better. It was posted by Pep years ago on the old Yahoo forum but still makes me laugh out loud. My thanks to Dick for digging it up from the archives.

"Originally posted by Pep....

"Date: Wed Aug 15, 2001 9:17 pm
Subject: LT Droppings: We Have a WINNER!!!... ;^)

Charles busted my gut by admitting:

Well, I only dropped it once. I pulled into the wallmart lot and came
to a stop with the front end full right, lost balance and tried to
control the fall as it went down. Many people stopped to admire the
bike in this position. Wanting to further impress them, and having
read the proper technique on how to pick it up I put my back to the
seat, hand on the handlebar, hand on the saddle bag grip, and hooked
the back of my belt onto the edge of the seat. Gave a mightly push.
My belt buckle broke, pants came down below my knees as I fell over
backwards on top of the bike. Seems I bent the rear brake pedal
too. "Are you hurt?" "Not physically, no..."

I love this guy... ;^) Pep"

Ron

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #12 of 27 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 5:57 pm

Welcome to the club, we have (most of us) done it. Glad you weren't scuffed.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #13 of 27 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 6:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
David,

This should make you and other first time droppers feel better. It was posted by Pep years ago on the old Yahoo forum but still makes me laugh out loud. My thanks to Dick for digging it up from the archives.

"Originally posted by Pep....

"Date: Wed Aug 15, 2001 9:17 pm
Subject: LT Droppings: We Have a WINNER!!!... ;^)

Charles busted my gut by admitting:

I love this guy... ;^) Pep"

Ron
Holy Crap!
I posted that original post in 2001? Holy Moly....
That's diggin deep in the archives.
Dick dug that up? We all love that guy.

Now see if you can find my post where I describe being down on one knee on my gravel driveway, bike on the centerstand, my hand up under the tupperware, wrapped around the radiator cap, and twisted up to where the airbox temp sensor is, trying to unplug it. I moved the front end to make a little more room for my arm when the bike started to tip, then the bike fell over away from me......only thing I could do was go with the flow or have my arm ripped off at the elbow.... kinda like a full body slam on World Wrestling. Again, I ended up on top of the bike, this time on my back with my arm still stuck far into the innards of the KLT. I looked quickly around to see if my wife was watching,... fortunately no audience this time.

There are two types of K1200LT riders: those who have dropped the bike, and those who deny ever having dropped it.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are true or not." Abraham Lincoln.
post #14 of 27 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 7:05 pm

I really like this one. Just sorry I wasn't there to witness in person! Posted by Zotter in 2006:

Zotter wrote: I'm gonna have to start a 'new club'.

In a parking lot this fall - quite the severe grade, with a drop down to a stair well. I'd parked once - but had forgotten the whole 'side stand lean over' thing. Parking there - well, she'da rolled away from the side stand down hill. Grade was steep enough, on the side stand she was tilted away, downhil. Not an option.

Was trying to turn around - slow speed turn, was trying to put a foot down - where'd da ground go?? LT goes down and I made a mistake worse.

Didn't let go of the throttle. With the angle of slope, where she set down and me try'n to 'let her down easy' by grip'n the bars - well, engine reved, rear wheel caught just enough and she spun on the left side crash guard - about 270 degrees of rotation. Yea, I let go when I got out of her way - finally.

Thankfully, just chewed up the guard cover - nothing else. No idea how I got that lucky.

Now, that's feel'n like an idiot!!

Break Dance'n LT - gonna have to come up with a fitting name for her. What's a good name for a mauve break dancer?

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #15 of 27 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern
I still have the DA club emblem on the side of my bike and the "don't laugh and help me pick this thing up" sticker on the bottom of my left compartment.
PLEASE PLEASE post a picture of the DA Club Emblem. I gotta get one

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #16 of 27 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 7:39 pm

Dropped Charlotte 3 times in 3 months!! But I'm so lucky. The first time was in front of a biker bar at 10 a.m. (the bar didn't open 'till 11), second time at my sons gravel driveway, trying to negotiate a small ditch,(no-one around), third time right in front of my garage, in the alley when my Lib neighbors dog attacked, startling my wife who shifted her weight to the right, putting her foot in my foots space, couldn't get my foot down fast enough to keep her up, down she went again, no-one around,(if you don't count the neighbor who called off the dog and went into her house, never even asked if we were o.k. No class, no character, no culture,) Hey- with the fun I've had with this old girl, I'd proudly drop her on the 5 o'clock news!!! J. W.
post #17 of 27 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 8:06 pm Thread Starter

LOL!!! It was worth the drop just to read this story!!! Very funny

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #18 of 27 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 9:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey

David
You're membership card is in the mail.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #19 of 27 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 10:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the club! A humbling but common occurrence.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #20 of 27 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 10:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
Welcome to the club! A humbling but common occurrence.
Read this thread and the next day I let her take a nap in my driveway...I must be getting use to her doing this, I let her down easy and popped her right back up with my autocom cord still attached to my helmet.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #21 of 27 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 3:27 pm

Poor baby, go get some icecream
post #22 of 27 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 5:58 am

DA Club Emblem

How can I get one of those DA Emblem? I dropped mine within the first week of having it.. and it was in my garage. And dropped it again twaice after that; once with my wife on it.

[img]
1/7/7/5/8/

1998 Honda Shadow 65K - sold
2003 BMW K1200LT - 10060K
IBI Member (1K Miles in 17 Hrs)
post #23 of 27 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 7:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
PLEASE PLEASE post a picture of the DA Club Emblem. I gotta get one
This is the only pic I have of the emblem, but I don't know where or who to get them from nor do I know if there are any available. I don't have a pic of the "stop laughing and help me pic this bike up" that's on the bottom of my bag. You can read it when the bike is on it's side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE9001.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	32547  

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #24 of 27 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 10:25 am

Ping Pete Van Dyke and see if he can help in locating the emblems. I also have a lapel pin in the LT shape and style, that has DA on it - it came from Pete.
post #25 of 27 Old Aug 21st, 2011, 12:01 am

Garage

And another thing make good decisions when parking.
Should I use the side of cs.
Look at this picture on my recent trip. Up hill both times on different sides of the street. Almost rolled back into drain. Parked in gear, right foot on pedal and side stand used. Lean angle was too great on wrong side of street but I got the picture without incident. Only the last one was on the cs.
ride safe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 66 ride 006.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	32579   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 66 ride 003.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	32580   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 66 ride 004.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	32581   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 66 ride 008.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	32582  
post #26 of 27 Old Aug 21st, 2011, 7:12 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
And another thing make good decisions when parking.
Should I use the side of cs.
Look at this picture on my recent trip. Up hill both times on different sides of the street. Almost rolled back into drain. Parked in gear, right foot on pedal and side stand used. Lean angle was too great on wrong side of street but I got the picture without incident. Only the last one was on the cs.
ride safe

This is good advice, several times this summer when riding with a group they park all nice and neat in any direction (mostly Harleys) if they aren't parking facing uphill I will go somewhere else to park or just face the other way. I might look silly with my bike pulled in and all others backed in but that's OK, I'd rather have her upright!!

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #27 of 27 Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 7:22 pm

Garage

Before actually I actually parked the bike I was trying to do two things.
1. Be as far of the roadway to be safe from moving traffic.
2. Be able to get the bike going from such a steep grade.

So I did a couple practices getting it vertical from the side stand and take offs from 1st gear. And let me tell you it was scary on the wrong side of the street cause that 850 was taking us both closer and closer to the point of no return. Even after I took the pictures and was getting ready to leave for real. I was riding solo.
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in