I love hearing, "Hmm, never seen that before" from my mechanic - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 16th, 2011, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

I love hearing, "Hmm, never seen that before" from my mechanic

See https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63162 for the background here...whirring ABS unit even while bike is off and key out following a manual ABS Reset by the dealer.

So, after I disconnected the ABS unit completely (as far as I could tell), it still "whirred" when I reconnected the negative on the battery. I'm not even sure how this is possible, but that's enough to send me back to the dealer this morning. I was hoping they could just disconnect the whirring piece and send me on my way...if indeed it was only the already faulty ABS unit.

Since I was just in there Friday, the sales staff all looked at me funny. One even said, "Weren't you in here Friday for some work?" I told the Service Manger, Jeff, "When you guys did the service on Friday, you awoke something. You gotta hear this." We walked out of the building to where I had parked only 8 or 10 feet away from the door. As soon as he opened the door, you could see him looking around as if to say, "What is that noise?"

I lifted the seat so he could hear that it was indeeds coming from under the seat, next to the battery...and the awesome mechanic response I was hoping for..."Hmmm, that's weird." Then the even better news..."Our LT guy is out all week for school." So he got another tech to come out, Kevin, who said basically the same thing, "Hmmm, never seen that before."

So after the long wait for a rental car to come pick me up, I'm now LT-less and back to four wheels for probably a week at least. Not sure I can make it. Know any good psychiatric hospitals around the Greenville Area?

I do have to give some kudos here though...the staff at Touring Motorsports BMW has been great. The 72,000 mile service was quoted over the phone to me at $850 at least. It wound up being $650 and they didn't even charge me for the ABS manual reset. They are always super nice and don't mind answering all my questions. Nothing but thumbs up for them. Hopefully, this issue will wind up being some simple wire crossing or something.

Thanks for listening.

Associate Pastor, Pickens, SC
Director of F.A.I.T.H. Riders Ministry at my church

'07 BMW R1200GS Adventure - White (easily my favorite bike to date!)
'07 Honda Gold Wing - Metallic Silver
'99 BMW K1200LT - White
'06 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Midnight Custom
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'04 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Classic
'99 Honda Shadow 750
'90 Honda Shadow VLX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 16th, 2011, 7:14 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: I love hearing, "Hmm, never seen that before" from my mechanic

The relay is controlled by the ABS unit but it is fed from the battery. If it is stuck - unplugging the ABS unit will not stop the motor from running. I just assumed your unit was toast and was "commanding" the relay. Unplugging would have stopped it in that case but not for a stuck relay. Sorry about that.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 16th, 2011, 8:21 pm Thread Starter

No problem jz...I'm nothing near a mechanic, so when that didn't work...I'm off to see the guys that made it happen. Should be their problem anyway, not mine. So, no worries...no foul. Thanks a ton for your help. Too bad it didn't work in this situation.

Associate Pastor, Pickens, SC
Director of F.A.I.T.H. Riders Ministry at my church

'07 BMW R1200GS Adventure - White (easily my favorite bike to date!)
'07 Honda Gold Wing - Metallic Silver
'99 BMW K1200LT - White
'06 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Midnight Custom
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'04 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Classic
'99 Honda Shadow 750
'90 Honda Shadow VLX

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 7:38 am

I had that same noise but it was under the tank in the relay box. It turned out to be a bad ground to the battery. The relay was going on/off at light speed.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President of

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in