So my lesson learned,
1. I was installing my oil filter after an oil change on a 2005 LT and had the same condition you are referencing.
2. I did not "figure it out" so I closed up the cover plate and added the oil
3. Traveled on the bike for over a 1000 miles over several weeks
4. One day I am passing a car, at higher RPM and my check oil light comes on
5. Engine starts sounding bad, within 30 seconds. (no oil leak on road)
6. Engine off, stuck on the side of the road
7. Trailer the bike home to find out the oil filter apparently was "cross threaded" and came off inside the oil/engine bay.
8. No visible thread damage upon dissassembly.
9. Occationally when installing new oil filter now, I get the cross threaded start,,, I stop and try a slight re-alignment. On a 2005 LT you should have several full rotations where the filter spins freely.
10. Over 10,000 since my installation issue, no problems with oil usage....
So my read from the above "thread" is the oil filter referenced is cross threaded, like mine was. Be careful, I drove quite a while before causing me a problem.