i just graduated to moron status - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy i just graduated to moron status

i have new tires,,pulled back rim off ..no prob. jacked up front of bike undid all the bolts and removed fender,,,, calipers were just sitting on the roters,,,,but i couldnt figure out how to get the rim out,, so i said to myself....self ..if i take the caliper apart the rim will come right out....WRONG brake fluid came out...so i quickly bolt the caliper back together...i guess tomorrow ill open the res. and see if theres any fluid in the front....and try bleeding that side i opened
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Sounds like you actually split the caliper open rather than removing the mounting bolts so it could be removed. Once it's all cleaned up and you've finished bleeding the system make sure you don't have any leaks where the two halves are joined, you may have damaged the seal.
post #3 of 11 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

hopfully

post #4 of 11 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny
i have new tires,,pulled back rim off ..no prob. jacked up front of bike undid all the bolts and removed fender,,,, calipers were just sitting on the roters,,,,but i couldnt figure out how to get the rim out,, so i said to myself....self ..if i take the caliper apart the rim will come right out....WRONG brake fluid came out...so i quickly bolt the caliper back together...i guess tomorrow ill open the res. and see if theres any fluid in the front....and try bleeding that side i opened
To get the front calipers off you have to slowly twist them in and out pretty hard to get the pistons retracted, max. clearance between pads and rotors. then they are pretty easy to carefully work out off the rotor. Just take care to not scratch the rims.

Hint: when you get one spread fully, and off the rotor, put something between the pads to keep them from moving in when you spread the opposite side. I use taken apart plastic clothes pins, use two halves as opposing wedges.

Hopefully you did not damage the seal between the caliper halves, but if you tightened it back up as soon as you saw it was leaking, and did not let the halves slip any, then you are probably fine.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 11 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:07 pm

Or you could just pull the pin and remove the pads for clearance

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #6 of 11 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 1:05 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Or you could just pull the pin and remove the pads for clearance
If your calipers say BMW (Integral brakes) that works. But if they say Brembo (non-Integral brakes) then that won't work, as you have to remove the calipers to get the brake pads out. But that probably means you're pretty good at removing the calipers anyway.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 11 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 5:12 am Thread Starter

thanks guys...ill let ya know
post #8 of 11 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 10:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
If your calipers say BMW (Integral brakes) that works. But if they say Brembo (non-Integral brakes) then that won't work, as you have to remove the calipers to get the brake pads out. But that probably means you're pretty good at removing the calipers anyway.
I did not know the BMW marked brakes allow the pads to be pulled before the calipers. Good to know. I knew it was not possible on the two LTs I had. (Brembo)

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Last edited by dshealey; Mar 11th, 2006 at 2:31 pm.
post #9 of 11 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 1:26 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I did not know the BMW allow the pads to be pulled before the calipers. Good to know. I knew it was not possible on the two LTs I had.
Yeah, it's a real time saver. It also means they take different front pads than the older bikes. Rears are still the same. You'll figure it out when you get your new bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 11 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 2:18 pm Thread Starter

well the good news is that the res. never went dry ,so i just added some brake fluid,,i started it up and i have brakes but my warning light is flashing ,,i hope when i put my wheels back on and ride it everything will be ok
post #11 of 11 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 10:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny
if i take the caliper apart the rim will come right out....WRONG brake fluid came out...so i quickly bolt the caliper back together
Since you have opened up your brake system, you should also bleed your pressure modulator, using the front bleed screw (as per the manual).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in