"New" seat rejuvention - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 5:21 pm Thread Starter

"New" seat rejuvention

A couple weeks ago I went to the informal monthly get together at a local brew pub of the Portland, OR area BMW riders. A great time as usual but a little better this time than most.

I sat across the table from Randi K. (GoldenDragon) who casually mentioned he was having a new custom seat made the first part of September. Remembering that he already had a custom seat on his bike I questioned him further and wound up buying his Bill Mayer rider and pillion seats for a VERY VERY VERY good price with the exchange of my factory seats. Randi may want to chime in here re: the need for factory seats in the upgrade process.

Randis' rider seat was in need of a wee bit of rejuvenation so here is what I used:

Original seat showing seat wear:

Here are the products I was able to find locally to improve the seat:

Note: The products made a significant improvement in the appearance of the seat but now the exhaust note is deafening, it leaks all over the floor of the garage, and my hands are numb for hours after I get off the bike!

Here is an after photo of the results: The dents in the leather were caused by my helmet sitting on the seat.

A big improvement for sure. The products were locally available, easy to use, and have made the seats a lot more supple.

I have not noticed any bleeding of the HD Rejuvenator onto my clothes.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 9:06 pm

Re: "New" seat rejuvention

Loren,
I have a Meyer seat and love it but mine too, is looking worn. Your picture of products is not very readable. Can you list the products and the order in which you used them?
Thanks!
Ron

Rocket Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 15th, 2011, 10:45 am Thread Starter

Both products are branded Harley Davidson. The first product I used is called Harley Rejuvenator for Black Leather, part number 98839-09. 6 ounces or about a 3 lifetime supply cost me $6.99. The second product is called Leather Dressing, part number 98261-91V. A 6 oz container was $6.95. I applied the Rejuvenator X3 and wiped off the little bit of excess pretty much right away. I then applied numerous coats of the Leather Dressing. It amazed me how much of the the leather dressing the seat soaked up. I think I could have put 20 coats on because the seat was so dry. I would recommend you apply the Leather Dressing in the sun as the heat really helps the product soak in.

I think you will like the results.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
Loren,
I have a Meyer seat and love it but mine too, is looking worn. Your picture of products is not very readable. Can you list the products and the order in which you used them?
Thanks!
Ron

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 16th, 2011, 8:09 am

Thanks Loren...I'll give it a shot!
Ron

Rocket Ron

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 16th, 2011, 9:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

+1 on the Harley Leather Dressing. I have a couple containers of that stuff left over from Harley's I've owned in the past (used on leather Harley bags)...it's great to waterproof and condition leather boots.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 16th, 2011, 10:03 am

Is the dressing for black seats only? I've been looking for something for my silver leather.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 16th, 2011, 12:02 pm Thread Starter

The dressing has no pigment in it so I think it should work fine on silver leather. You might want to try it on a concealed part of the seat. Maybe down low between the rider and pillion seat just to make sure it doesn't slightly darken the leather. It kind of has the appearance of hard vaseline.

The rejuvenator stuff is definitely for black leather only.

Real Harley men don't got no silver leather!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
Is the dressing for black seats only? I've been looking for something for my silver leather.

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #8 of 8 Old Aug 16th, 2011, 12:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
The dressing has no pigment in it so I think it should work fine on silver leather. You might want to try it on a concealed part of the seat. Maybe down low between the rider and pillion seat just to make sure it doesn't slightly darken the leather. It kind of has the appearance of hard vaseline.

The rejuvenator stuff is definitely for black leather only.

Loren
Quote:
Real Harley men don't got no silver leather!
LMAO!! Thanks Loren

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in