Started B4 I took the tank off, not now tho? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 11:28 am Thread Starter

Started B4 I took the tank off, not now tho?

My labour started with trying to track down why my cruise control didn't work. Got her stripped down to where I was supposed to take the air box off to get at the micro switch. Couldn't figure out how to remove the airbox. So, I started poking around and discovered that when the tech put her back together he installed a wiring harness, it pushed the throttle cable down. That's why, after I spent hours trying to adjust the throttle controll cable, the cruise would not work.

I got the tank bac on, most of the tupper ware back on except for the fairing on the brake side, and tried to start her. After a long time cranking, she tried to fire, but wouldn't start. I thought I might have mixed up the fuel and return line to the tank, so I swapped those around--still won't start!!

I'm over tired, ffrustrated, and looking for help?

I shone a flash light into the tank, almost full, and didn't see any movement in the tank.

I know I connected the wire at the top of the tank and at the bottom. But, I'm not sure I hear the fuel pump working? Course, I don't remember if I've heard the fuel pump when starting my bike?

Looking for any tips, suggestions for tracking down why she won't start.

Best from Becket MA
Bob

PS: while I remember it, the tank has two lines comming off, one nearest the bike and one next to it near the outside of the bike. Which one is the pumped fuel? The lines going to the fuel rail are one on top of the other--which one is for the pumped fuel?

Oh! The internet connection here is dial up.

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 2:14 pm Thread Starter

Re: Started B4 I took the tank off, not now tho?

Curtis called me and offered a few suggestions, one of which solved the problem, a blow 15A fuse. I happened to have a spare fuse in my my saddle bag, installed it and heard the fuel pump whuur and stop whuurring when the pressure switch tuned the fuel pump off.

The other puzzeling problem was the windshield stop going up and down. The new fuse fixed that problem also.

Maybe the moral of the story is to disconnect the batt whenever I disconnect anything from the wiring harness.

When I get back to Gorham, I'll post about how the PIAA fog light install drove me to question how a simple DC circuit could have me stumped for days.

Best from Becket MA
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #3 of 3 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 2:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Started B4 I took the tank off, not now tho?

Wow! Glad you finally got it sorted out. It is really easy to miss route stuff around the throttle bodies and I was very glad I had taken lots of pictures before I tore it down. Made it that much easier to put it back together right. Enjoy the cruise control.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in