Oil on rear wheel - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2011, 6:31 pm Thread Starter

Oil on rear wheel

Just as I was returning home from a ride today on my "08" LT I noticed that the rear brakes weren't working very good. When I pulled into the garage and parked the lady I started to inspect her and I noticed a fair amount of what looks to be like gear lube on the rim It was dark grey in color, and as I looked around a little further and found that the oil seemed to be dripping from the rubber boot on the drive shaft. I haven't taken off the tie rap or clamp yet, as I wanted some opinions as to what it might be. The bike has about 9500 miles on it and the gear oil was changed last year.

Last edited by quadrunner; Aug 13th, 2011 at 6:32 pm. Reason: duplicate post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2011, 7:16 pm

Re: Oil on rear wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrunner
Just as I was returning home from a ride today on my "08" LT I noticed that the rear brakes weren't working very good. When I pulled into the garage and parked the lady I started to inspect her and I noticed a fair amount of what looks to be like gear lube on the rim It was dark grey in color, and as I looked around a little further and found that the oil seemed to be dripping from the rubber boot on the drive shaft. I haven't taken off the tie rap or clamp yet, as I wanted some opinions as to what it might be. The bike has about 9500 miles on it and the gear oil was changed last year.
If you think it is leaking at the rubber boot, loosen the boot and see how much lube runs out. Put a container under to catch the lube.
If a significant amount of lube comes out, it is coming from one of two places, either the final drive or the transmission.

The final drive lube level is easiest to check, just remove the filler plug with the bike on the center stand. Wait a few minutes for lube to run down off the gears. The FD lube level should be near the bottom of the threads of the filler hole. If it is low, add enough lube to bring it up to the bottom of the filler hole. Measure how much you have to put in. If you have to put in more than a few cc's it maybe that you have a leak at the FD pinion seal.

On the other hand, it is not unheard of for the output seal of the tranny to leak, Past suggestions have included putting different color lubes in the tranny and FD so the color of leaking oil will reveal the source.

Searching the site will reveal past posts about leaks into the swing arm.

However, I'm surprised that much oil from a leak into the swing arm would get onto the rear brake rotor, but then I've never experienced it so can't be sure.

The other possibility is a leak at the hub seal behind the brake rotor. A leak there for sure will lube up the brake rotor and affect braking. Again, checking final drive lube level will suggest if the FD is leaking.

Another thing to do is to drain the final drive and look at the drain plug magnet for metal on the magnet and metal in the lube. That would indicate FD bearing problems.

HTH
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 6:50 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully I will be able to do some further investigating today. The warranty ran out on bike in March, how set in stone is the warranty period?. Any possibility that BMW would warrant this problem?

Quadrunner

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 6:56 am

Just a thought, are you sure it is gear lube and not brake fluid? Recently I noticed the rear brake wasn't working well and I had crud (combination of liquid, brake dust and road dirt) all over the rear wheel. Inspection revealed that one of the rear caliper speed bleeders was leaking very slightly. I refilled and re-bled the rear brake circuit, tightened the bleeder, and cleaned everything up and life is good ever since.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 7:49 am

Wink Re: Oil on rear wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrunner
Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully I will be able to do some further investigating today. The warranty ran out on bike in March, how set in stone is the warranty period?. Any possibility that BMW would warrant this problem?

Quadrunner
My impression of warranty work by BMW dealerships is that it depends on your dealer and your relationship with them. Have you had all your service done with them? You have a good relationship with them? You bring everyone in the service department donuts when you come in for service? If "yes" to the above, they "might" cover it out of warranty, but don't hold your breath.
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 9:50 am Thread Starter

The only service that has been performed at the dealership was routine maintenance, so on that end I guess that I don't really have any type of on going relationship. The dealership is BMW of southeastern Michigan. Maybe I'm being naive here but as few a miles that are on the bike I wouldn't expect any serious problems yet.

As far as the other reply, the oil is dripping from the rubber boot.

Quadrunner
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 11:04 am Thread Starter

I loosened the clamp and pulled back the boot and I didn't find any oil, I'm now going to cut the tie rap and look at that end. I pulled filler cap on the FD unit and noticed the oil was down. I then drained the oil and had about 150cc in a cup. I poured oil thru filter to see if there were any shavings and I didn't find any. Maybe at this point I should fill up rear drive with a different colored oil to see if it will seep from rubber boot again with the colro of oil used in rear drive.

Would I purchase this oil from a bike shop, or can I maybe get it frm an auto parts store ?

Quadrunner
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 11:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

Go to your favorite auto parts and get Royal Purple gear oil.

dan
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 18th, 2011, 6:14 am Thread Starter

Well I changed the FD oil with Royal Purple and then checked the trans fluid and determined that it was full. I went for about a 30 min ride stopping every so often to see if I had any fluid dripping on my wheel and noticed that it started to drip again although not nearly as bad as the first time. I cleaned wheel off and let bike sit for a couple of days and sure enough when I went out today to look at bike it had a drip on wheel about the size of a quarter. I checked the FD oil and it was full and strangely enough the drip of oil wasn't purple.

I contacted BMW of SE Mich (where I purchased the bike). too see if they might be able to do a warranty repair even though the warranty ran out in March of 2011. They said they had no discression what so ever, it would be up to BMW to either warrant the repair or not. I then contacted BMW motorcyles of Detroit and talked with the service manager Don and explained to him what was going on with my bike and he stated to me that being out of warranty less than 6 mos. he would probaly be able to get bike covered under warranty. Guess I know where I will be taking my bike from now on.

On a side note whenever I went to the other dealership it allways seemed to me that they liked dealing with guys who had the other kind of BMW bikes and not so much of the LT series of bikes.

Sorry about the lon post.

Quadrunner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in