Problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 11:30 am Thread Starter

Question Problem

I had an appointment at the VA Hosp. this morning. Sixty miles from the house to the VA, 40 miles of two lane then 20 or so of interstate. After running the interstate at 75mph I took the off ramp. Set at a traffic light there, when it turned to green I went about 1/2 mile to the next light. After it turned green I pulled out and the bike (1999 K1200LTC with 70K) just died. I tried to restart and nothing. I realize now that in my panic I may have been hitting the computer button instead of the starter. I let the bike roll about a block into a service station, turned the key off and back on and she fired right up. Rode the 5-6 miles on to the hospital. After my appointment the bike started fine. After the 20 miles of interstate coming back I stopped at a light off the exit ramp and the same thing happened again. This time it started right away. Stopped at a few lights after that and no problems. Then after a 15-20 mile non stop stretch of two lane hwy. I stopped for a light and when it turned green the bike died again. This time it started again with no problem. Any ideas? BTW the fuel filter has about 10k on it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 11:48 am

Re: Problem

I had this happen early this year, my turned out that the battery had a dead cell. Replaced the battery no more problems. Good luck hope this helps.

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 11:49 am

My first thought is fuel filter. Next have you tried revving it while at the stop. Does it only happen when you let out on the clutch to pull away. If you over rev and pull away will it stay running?

Open the gas cap and see if you get the sucking sound. Does the bike still have the carbon canister? If it does that would be my next guess. But I would start with the carbon canister.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Tom1200, I did open gas tank and no sucking sound. Not sure about the over revving, did not think to try that. Do you think it could be bad fuel?
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 12:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Could be an engine temperature sensor, hall pickup, clogged cannister, bad battery, bad gas, split in the fuel line inside the tank, idle air controller, bad fuel pump controller, or a bad fuel pump. Check the inexpensive ones first. My first bet would be engine temperature sensor or hall pickup. Checking the battery, gas, fuel line, pump controller and pump are all free so start with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 1:20 pm

I think you got some other good suggestions from Dean. Check the cheap stuff first. Did you just fill up before you went? If so then it could be gas but I find it a bit unlikely. If it was gas you would or should see other signs I would think.

Have you done any other maintenance on the bike lately?

But, if you did fill up and didn't do it the right way? You stood on the right side of the bike while filling, put it on the side stand, dismounted from the left and walk around the bike and commented on its nice headlight or back end, patted the gas tank when finished and prayed the secret BMW prayer. If you did all of this and it is still causing issues then something is wrong. Sorry, had to lighten the mood. Most likely it is something simple, it may take a while to figure it out but it most likely simple.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

Deanwoolsey, would a diagnostic test at the dealer identify any of the problems you mentioned?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in