Throttle Cable upgrade - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

Throttle Cable upgrade

Using the information and part numbers that I found on this forum, I went ahead and ordered the throttle cables to do the upgrade on my 00 LT. I am going to try and do it this weekend. I ordered the parts from maxbmw and they were here in two days. So far I have been very happy with their service. Anyway, if anyone who has done this has any words of wisdom or "don't forget to"s before I get started I would really appreciate it. I will let you know how I make out.
Thanks

Tom
2004 K1200RS
2000 K1200LT
2001 1200XLH (SOLD)
1998 FLHTCUI (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 11:20 pm

Re: Throttle Cable upgrade

Good luck, Tom. The Clymer manual will have you pulling the air box, and fuel rail. I didn't pull the fuel rail, but was able to thread the cable in the lower end by using a pair of long hemostats.

BEFORE you pull the air box off, look at how the clamps are aligned (there are four) on the air intakes for each cylinder. Make sure you line them up the same way when you re-assemble, so you don't hang up the throttle (cause it to stick on a clamp).

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 11:30 pm
Super Moderator

If you have instructions by others that is a good start.

I also bought the replacement set from MAX and everything went smooth. You will need to cut a hole
in the right hand bottom handle bar cover. I would also leave the cables connected to the fuel rail linkage
to the very last so you can remember the exact details of connection for the new cables. As you pull the
old cables out from the handlebar area tie the new ones on to them or make sure you follow the exact
route the were in - this is important!! Ask my why I know. . . .

Having a pair of hemostats as you manipulate the cable ends down on the fuel rail linkage will make your
life a lot easier as you will need to contort the cable ends both in and out of the rotary take ups. Hemostats
you say - well there are about 1400 pair up on eBay for sale or you can find them at medical supply
or even possible a drug store in your area!!

Be prepared to make cable adjustments up under the handle bar to set your cruise roll off switch and cruise
properly.

Do not put your tupperware back on. Yea go out and ride the bike naked and make sure everything works
especially the cruise.

You may be surprised to find your other cables wearing out - mine broke, both of them up on the Blue Ridge
Parkway while I was 400 miles from home - luckily for me I pulled off a McGiver and did a field fix to get me
home.

Good luck . . . other will chime in I am sure!!

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 11:36 pm

Wink Re: Throttle Cable upgrade

Tom be sure you check the threads shown at the bottom of this one. There are some excellent tips as well as photos that can be accessed from them. One of the nice features of this site is the common threads showing at the bottom of all threads.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee
Using the information and part numbers that I found on this forum, I went ahead and ordered the throttle cables to do the upgrade on my 00 LT. I am going to try and do it this weekend. I ordered the parts from maxbmw and they were here in two days. So far I have been very happy with their service. Anyway, if anyone who has done this has any words of wisdom or "don't forget to"s before I get started I would really appreciate it. I will let you know how I make out.
Thanks

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #5 of 5 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

Update- Thanks for the words of wisdom. Using a lot of information from this site, I tore the bike down today and started the thottle cable upgrade. I got a later start then I wanted to and didn't have the time to complete the job but I did 'break the back of it'. I ended up pulling the air box as I didn't see any way that I was going to get my big paws in there to make the connections without pulling it. With the airbox off, the closing cable becomes a piece of cake. There is nothing in the way of pulling the circlip which has given so many people trouble. The opening cable is still a bit of a p.i.t.a. but it is definitely manageable with a pair of those locking forceps- the longer the better. I used the old cables to pull the new ones through- no problems. Air box and gas tank are back on and this week I will get the handlebar grip done and then put all of the plastic back on.
The biggest problem I encountered was getting the frame that holds the gas tank in place back on. The holes did not want to line up true with the sockets for the bolts. This is the first LT I have owned and the first time I have had it apart. The two screws up on top near the top of the forks were easy but the two bolts on the right side and the one on the left took a lot of prying and twisting to get lined up straight.
All in all, it is a great project. I got to see a lot of the bike behind the tupperware and saw lots of things that I am going to want to address when I strip it down over the winter for the 24k service. Thanks to everyone that has gone before me and provided insight and advice.

Tom
2004 K1200RS
2000 K1200LT
2001 1200XLH (SOLD)
1998 FLHTCUI (SOLD)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in