Oil consumption - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 10th, 2011, 11:12 am Thread Starter

Oil consumption

I bought my first 2001 K1200 LT 2 months ago and have put 2000 miles on it (I love it) and have lost oil level in the sight glass from about the middle of the glass down to just above the bottom of the glass. I check it on the center stand befor each ride, I have no external leaks and it rarely smokes on start up. Is this normal for oil consumption? I will top off the sight glass when I get home but I feel in 2000 miles it is a little high for usage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 10th, 2011, 11:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Oil consumption

Nah, I think you'll find that half the sight glass is half a quart. A 1/2 pint every thousand miles? Normal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 10th, 2011, 11:50 am Thread Starter

Thank you!! This is my first BMW and was a little scared buying a used bike. Thanks agin for the resonse.

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 10th, 2011, 11:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindluck
Thank you!! This is my first BMW and was a little scared buying a used bike. Thanks agin for the resonse.
I think the manual allows for a lot higher usage rate. Mine uses some. No worries.
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 10th, 2011, 2:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindluck
I bought my first 2001 K1200 LT 2 months ago and have put 2000 miles on it (I love it) and have lost oil level in the sight glass from about the middle of the glass down to just above the bottom of the glass. I check it on the center stand befor each ride, I have no external leaks and it rarely smokes on start up. Is this normal for oil consumption? I will top off the sight glass when I get home but I feel in 2000 miles it is a little high for usage.
i believe that if you are checking on the center stand the level should be at the top of the site glass. side stand it should be in the middle.
john
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 10:11 am

Colin: The owners manual for my 03 LT says to check oil level after oil has been brought up to normal op temp.--- On ctr. stand it should be (when hot) max level is top of sight glass min. level bottom of sight glass.--- On side stand hot center of sight glass is max--bottom of sight glass is min. Check your own manual for your yr.--How many miles are on your bike? What kind of oil?
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 6:47 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Too many variables on the side stand from bike to bike. I always use the center stand. Plus its fun to look in when the engine is running and see NO OIL until you shut her off and watch it all drain back in.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 7:37 pm

The issue of how to check the oil level is more around repeatability if you are trying to accurately determine an oil usage issue. The side stand thing is a useless indicator.
Check your oil level on the centre stand in the same position, i.e. garage floor and with a cold engine for example. This way you remove the variables which skew your results.
Remember, the sump (oil pan) is quite wide, so the smallest tilt to the side alters the visible oil level considerably. To prove this, get someone to sit on the bike while you observe the oil level with your trusty flashlight (torch in Oz) and ask them to tilt slightly to 1 side then the other. Note how sensitive the oil level is.
post #9 of 11 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 8:38 pm

You're good.

Ride it and enjoy.

B D R
post #10 of 11 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 8:03 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Oil consumption

Thanks again for all the response, I have been checking the glass before each ride engine cold on the center stand in the garage. It was half a glass when I first got her home and the oil had been changed at the previous owners local BMW dealer so I assumed this would be the correct level (half glass). The invoice stated 20w50 racing oil, no manufacture name, I assumed it is BMW oil… I will start checking the level when I get home after a ride also and compare the different levels. I don’t have the owners manual and have been using the FAQ on this sight to answer my newbie questions. My original concern was the fact that I am using oil… I was just scared buying a used bike that I have no knowledge of how to repair and my wallet gets scared going near a BMW service department without an extended warranty…
post #11 of 11 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 9:57 pm

I often wondered, why BMW never bothered to use a dip stick....wouldn't that be a lot simpler? My sight glass is so dark, I can hardly see anything, have to shine a light on it. I know, I should really change it for a new one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in