Rear Brake Pad Instl - quick question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 10th, 2011, 7:38 am Thread Starter

Question Rear Brake Pad Instl - quick question

Replaced my rear brake pads (or should I say metal slabs that, at one point in time, may have had braking material on them!). No problems, easy to do, but as I was installing the cotter pins on the holding pins, I noticed that the pad "spreader spring" had a kind of lip only on one end of it that covers the cotter pin. I had it at the higher (further back on the wheel rotation) end, and looking at it, reasoned I had it on backwards thinking the lip was probably there to protect the cotter pin from anything that might be thrown up from the road.

Am I correct in my thinking? Does my description make any sense to anybody? Guess I shoulda taken a pic to post to help with the description (or better yet, taken a picture before I took it apart so I wouldn't have to ask the question in the first place!)

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 10th, 2011, 8:46 am

Re: Rear Brake Pad Instl - quick question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch102
Replaced my rear brake pads (or should I say metal slabs that, at one point in time, may have had braking material on them!). No problems, easy to do, but as I was installing the cotter pins on the holding pins, I noticed that the pad "spreader spring" had a kind of lip only on one end of it that covers the cotter pin. I had it at the higher (further back on the wheel rotation) end, and looking at it, reasoned I had it on backwards thinking the lip was probably there to protect the cotter pin from anything that might be thrown up from the road.

Am I correct in my thinking? Does my description make any sense to anybody? Guess I shoulda taken a pic to post to help with the description (or better yet, taken a picture before I took it apart so I wouldn't have to ask the question in the first place!)
The spreader spring is there to stop the brakes from chattering, I doubt anything sort of pulling that clip out will dislodge it

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 10th, 2011, 9:15 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
The spreader spring is there to stop the brakes from chattering, I doubt anything sort of pulling that clip out will dislodge it
Right, got that. You'd have to loose both cotter pins and have a bunch of vibration before both pins would also go come out. I'm not worried about it happening, just curious why the one end of the spring is bent over that covers that cotter pin? Protecting it from debris is my only guess, and therefore I'm assuming it would have the covered end forward (since it's only on the one side), but that's just my uneducated guess, hence I'm asking the experts.

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 10th, 2011, 9:24 am

You're likely right I didn't see any point in it when I swapped pads.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in