1200LT vs Harley Street Glide - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:15 am Thread Starter

Question 1200LT vs Harley Street Glide

Good morning;

I stumbled across this web site while looking for and at the new BMW1200LT. WOW! Beautiful bike..SO, I called the nearest dealer in Canton, Michigan only to discover that he doesn't have one. Next two to three weeks.or So!

Anyhow, I am seriously interested in thenew Harley Styreet Glide but the 1200LT definately caught my eye. So why should I even consider the 1200Lt and or the 1200GT ? (Maybe this is sort of like asking Colonel Sanders why Chicken?)

The Harley Street Glide is also beautiful, and they both (1200LT and Street Glide) are about the same price at about 21K. W

When I talked with the dealer this morning, he asked what I wanted on it? Not like it's two all beef patties etc. but looking at the options and acessories columns on the BMW web sites, they kind of indicate that it comes with everything, whatever that is. What options are there? I guess that isn't important at this time.

So back to the basic question BMW K1200LT vs. the Harley Street Glide !

I have also looked at some of your comments about the 1200GT, so what is the difference between the GT and the LT ? Performance? I don't know, that's why I am asking.

Looking forward to your comments. They will help, but I know, not as much as going out and test riding both of the bikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by reschwert
as going out and test riding both of the bikes
That will tell u all u need to know. IMHO no comparision.

-TBob

TBob
09 R1200 GSA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'03 LT Impala Brown - FOR SALE
'01 KTM 520 EXC

Interested in a Kontour seat? PM me I would be happy to share my Kontour experience.
post #3 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:37 am

Cool

Last Year when I was looking, I wanted an ELGC and was not aware of the LT. I had not ridden in 25 years and decided to get a bike and with childhood dreams and some cash we started looking.We rented an ELGC for a week and headed out. I was very happy with the ELGC but my wife hated it, it beat her to death, I had to help her get off of it one time she was in such pain. We still have not figured out why, we have friends that have them and both love them. We returned the bike and I was nearly in tears, a friend came up on his new HD EGS and asked "What's up?" so I told him and he suggested I come ride his LT, said the wife would love it. So we took him up on his offer, 15 min latter the, wife said she could ride it. So we went to the BMW dealer to get one, none in stock and no idea when they would get one. So I came on this site and bought an 03 from the classifieds. That was last Feb and we have logged 20K on our LT this past year, we rode several 12 hour days together and she has not complained once.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:39 am

the GT versus the LT and the harley? that's like comparing a cheetah to garfield the cat.

ride all three and make up your own mind.

if i were riding one up i'd get the GT.

for two up i'd get the LT.

if i were a rich man i'd add a harley for chuffing around town. but personally i don't think i'd ever get a hawg if it was my only bike.
post #5 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:49 am

Here's my story. Been riding a Harley for years. Currently have an Ultra Classic. After riding on two different BMWs in Europe and Africa I decided that if I really wanted to have the full motorcycle experience I needed a BMW. Because I always ride 2 up, I looked at the LT. My girlfriend loved it and I bought one 2 days ago. No law against having both a Harley and BMW, but I'm guessing my Harley won't get many more miles on it. I'm delighted with the LT and l look forward to lots of long distance riding. The handling is unbelieveable.
post #6 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 12:16 pm

LT vs Farm Implement

I've been riding HD's off & on since I was 17. Went with two friends to BMW dealer in July because one of them was interested in an LT. All three of us have been riding together since we met at the local HOG club in '99. Two of us had no intension of buying one and making the usual jokes that harley riders make about other bikes. Well the dealer turned us lose with the LT for the day. Long story short all three of us bought one when we got back to dealer. I got mine the Friday July 29. The salesman ask me when I wanted to do my 600 mile service I said Monday he said can't do that closed on Monday how about Tuesday. I have 16,000+ miles on it now. I have only ridin the HD once since I got the LT. My signature line kinda sums it up.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #7 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 12:17 pm

In addition to going out and test riding both, what kind of riding do you want to do? What has been your past rides? Do you want to continue in that manner and/or style, or are looking to make a change to something different?

What's important to YOU...brand? ride/handling characteristics? maintenance? dealer support network? etc, etc..... answer those (and other) questions for yourself and you'll most likely come to a decision as to which one will "fit" you the best.

regards
post #8 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 12:42 pm

Your question, as you alluded to, is akin to standing up in a Babtist church and asking which is best, the Bible, or the Koran.

I got back into riding after 28 years off bikes by riding my son in law's Harley Softail Heritage Classic. After 4,000 miles on that, decided to get back into it again myself, and started looking. Did not know what kind of bike I wanted, except that it was not going to be a Harley! Had some fun on it, but just too feet forward, tractor like for my blood. I ended up with an LT, and rode those very happily for 124,000 miles!

When my son in law was home on leave, I talked him into riding the LT. He was a long time Harley rider, started when he was 15 and had Harleys ever since. He reluctantly took the LT out, and about 30 minutes later rode up the driveway, looked at me with a wide grin and a somewhat flushed look, and said "Wow, what an adrenalin rush!" His outlook to other than Harley changed entirely in that 30 minute ride.

He recently sold his Harley, and if he does buy another bike he will no longer have the "Harley only" outlook.

Ride all the bikes you are interested in. Only you can make the final decision, based on what you desire in a bike. It could well be the Harley, but our bets are on you getting the LT. Perfoamance wise, there is no comparison, either in power, speed, handling, and most certainly STOPPING! Be really careful the first time you stop on the LT, or you may end up testing the seating comfort of the TANK!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 1:00 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

I owned a Low Rider when one Saturday afternoon two friends and myself decided to go "tire kicking" at A & S in Roseville. Long story short, after 15 minutes on the LT, I asked the salesman (Ted), "where do I sign?" I was sold. Night and day difference from the Harley. Six months later, when I had 6,000 miles on the LT, I hadn't even started the Low Rider, so I sold it. Out of the three guys, two bought BMW's.

Fast forward two years. I injuried my knee, and the seating position on the LT caused me great pain. I tried a custom seat from Mayer's, Jpegs, etc, nothing helped. Plus, I have to admit that the LT was so perfect, it was boring...

I went shopping, saw the Street Glide, and bought one. Put a 95ci kit in it, some other performance mods, and an really enjoying the hell out of it. The seating positon doesn't hurt my knee, plus it's something new to me to farkle to my heart's content.

I have no doubt that I will own another LT in the future. You can't beat it for the ultimate touring bike, yet still ride it like a sport bike when the occasion strikes.

Ride both, you decide...

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #10 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 1:21 pm

I would not own or ride a motorcycle without ABS. Just a safety issue that I believe has saved many.
post #11 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 3:13 pm

I looked at and rode about everything. Came down to the same dilemma as you...choice between an Ultra Glide and an LT. At a party one night, with about six dedicated Harley husbands and wifes, a buddy summed it up to me this way AFTER extolling how beautiful the BMW handled and rode: "I'd get one myself (LT) but then I would miss the Harley culture".
I made my decision right then, and bought the LT within a week. As a sidebar, I thought I would miss riding with some of them, cause they are my close friends, but the LT falls over in the turns if you ride it that slow.
post #12 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 3:33 pm

I've owned both and still have one Harley. I did tons of comparisons online using forums and talking with people. I even created a spreadsheet to weigh the various merits of both of those bikes and the Wing. I did test rides on all 3 bikes. In the end, I went with the BMW, even though it means I'm 600km from the nearest dealer versus local dealers for both the wing and Harley. My rational. The BMW just called to me and "felt" right. Costs, reliability, service, accessories all didn't mean as much as the feeling I got on the beemer. In the end, after you've dumped a bunch of money on whatever bike you decide on, if it doesn't feel right to you, in my opinion you'll regret your purchase despite what the hard data on costs, reliability etc come out to.

So many toys out there, so little time!
2015 BMW K1600GTLE

2008 Piaggio 250 Betty's toy
2001 HD FLSTSI
1957 BMW R60

IBA #26695
RA #39456
MOA #150880

Always looking for more...
post #13 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 5:39 pm

Call Blane at Grand Rapids BMW @ 616-530-6900. He is one of the co-owners. Tell him that Dick sent you. They have 4-5 new (maybe more out back) LT's in stock. Best dealership in Michigan IMHO. No, I don't work there and no I don't get a cut on any sales. Dick
post #14 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 7:11 pm

Rent them

Wife & I rented Harley, Goldwing, BMW for weekend test-rides. That's roughly $400 to ground our purchase decision on experience rather than sales literature and hearsay. Drop the mouse & grab a throttle.
post #15 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 7:49 pm

Lightbulb Harleys are truly silly machines

My first bike was a Harley... and beyond the Harley "culture" there's no reason to buy a Harley. They're not attractive in my opinion and they perform and function well below the LT's standards. Unless you grew up having to have one (perhaps in the baby boomer generation), I see no reason to spend good money on an inferior product. And inferior they are and that's a fact. That's my two cents.
post #16 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Culture

The "culture" runs thick with BMW riders, too, though with a bit more panache. Just check out a beemer dealership and observe the BMW roundel-clad golf shirts, jackets, hats, etc. etc.

If you want to go the uncultured route, try one of these:

post #17 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Smile Say what...

Can't figure out how in the world one could compare these two machines in any rational sort of way. Emotionally, egotistically, and irrationally yes I suppose one could 'compare' the LT and the Street Glide; but why bother?

Comparing an LT with a properly equipped (ie. HID, oil cooler, fairing lowers, sintered brake pads, heated grips, upgraded windshield, Ohlins rear shocks, and so forth) Road Glide *might* make for a more reasonable comparison. Some of the neatest H-D riders I've met have been Iron Butt types, riding Road Glides set up for long and safe distance riding-way cool bikes and riders. Stock engines and STOCK exhaust systems along with other items to enhance comfort and safety. Unfortunatly these types of riders like us LT'ers are in the distinct minority. I b lovin' Harley-Davidson's products for what they are. The Motor Company has brought many, many nonriders into our moto community over the past 12-15 years and we are all the better for it.

I've come extremely close on two occasions to purchasing a Harley only to back away at the 'last' minute when I slapped myself sober when I realized that I really, really do enjoy riding big miles year in and year out and the current Harley fleet just isn't capable in that department. I reckon I'll make a Harley purchase in the next two years just for plain ole fun. Isn't that a good enough reason to ride in th' first place?

Bruce Harris, Jr.
Burlington, NC USA
1995 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI Anniversary Edition
2005 Bushtec Turbo +2
post #18 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:25 pm

Apples

Oranges
post #19 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:54 pm

Talking

Its really a simple answer,

BMW = form and function...
HD = "Dont I look cool on this bike?"
Test ride all ..you will find what you like.
If you ask the question, I am thinking you must like the HD
You might want to try this forum,
http://www.v-twinforum.com/

See Ya!

Renzo
post #20 of 70 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:04 pm

Wait a second...

What do you mean uncultured... isn't that a Sportster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwilshire
The "culture" runs thick with BMW riders, too, though with a bit more panache. Just check out a beemer dealership and observe the BMW roundel-clad golf shirts, jackets, hats, etc. etc.

If you want to go the uncultured route, try one of these:

post #21 of 70 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 12:20 am

I ride year round.

My LT is warmer in the winter, and cooler during our 100F summers (than a HD). Cooler than a GoldWing during the summer.

Bob
post #22 of 70 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoltz112
Currently have an Ultra Classic. ..{snip}.. No law against having both a Harley and BMW
Yeah, or [any other brand bike] and BMW.

The handlebar switch for the cruise control on my '06 LT failed after just 3,500 miles. Dealer advises the replacement switch has to come from GERMANY! BMW apparently has some unrealistic expectations about parts reliability, since they apparently won't maintain adequate stock levels on this side of the pond. It's a fun bike, but two weeks of downtime for a silly switch is unacceptable.

I'm glad I didn't sell my Goldwing - gonna' need something to ride when the LT is down for parts.
post #23 of 70 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 9:57 am

Culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by humplatch
"I'd get one myself (LT) but then I would miss the Harley culture".
Ride your LT into a bunch of HD's hit the button for the centerstand just watch how many HD riders gather around and all the comments on how nice the LT is.
Ride as you will and Ride were you will.
Picture is my riding style
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sig2.jpg
Views:	1182
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	2455  
post #24 of 70 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 10:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by humplatch
I looked at and rode about everything. Came down to the same dilemma as you...choice between an Ultra Glide and an LT. At a party one night, with about six dedicated Harley husbands and wifes, a buddy summed it up to me this way AFTER extolling how beautiful the BMW handled and rode: "I'd get one myself (LT) but then I would miss the Harley culture".
I made my decision right then, and bought the LT within a week. As a sidebar, I thought I would miss riding with some of them, cause they are my close friends, but the LT falls over in the turns if you ride it that slow.
That's Funny!

Mike in Pittsburgh

2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
1983 Honda GL650I Silverwing Interstate
post #25 of 70 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 1:32 pm

Resch.......... I was over to the shop in GR this morning for coffee. They have more than six LT's in stock. Even have one 05 left. New, Ocean Blue, $1000 rebate and 4.9% financing! Dick
post #26 of 70 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 1:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass
Yeah, or [any other brand bike] and BMW.

The handlebar switch for the cruise control on my '06 LT failed after just 3,500 miles. Dealer advises the replacement switch has to come from GERMANY! BMW apparently has some unrealistic expectations about parts reliability, since they apparently won't maintain adequate stock levels on this side of the pond. It's a fun bike, but two weeks of downtime for a silly switch is unacceptable.

I'm glad I didn't sell my Goldwing - gonna' need something to ride when the LT is down for parts.

Mass: My experience has been exactly the opposite with parts. Recent example: Two weeks ago I ordered the right lower side tupperware panel. Ordered it on Friday, it came into the shop the following Wednesday. So why two weeks of downtime? I'd have two weeks of riding time, just none of it with cruise control.
post #27 of 70 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 6:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRothermel
So why two weeks of downtime? I'd have two weeks of riding time, just none of it with cruise control.
Er, that would be, two weeks of downtime for the LT. I've still got my Goldwing to ride while the LT is at the dealer waiting for the boat from Germany. I had no way of knowing this situation would develop, and it sure doesn't make any sense to me to go 20 miles back to the dealer to get the LT so I can ride it, with another bike available at home to ride, then have to take it back again to the dealer and leave it for however many days they want to keep it once the switch comes in.
post #28 of 70 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 8:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRothermel
I'd have two weeks of riding time, just none of it with cruise control.
Agreed. I didn't know we couldn't ride w/o electronic cruise. My RT doesn't have cruise at all, and I've got 42K+ so far.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -ó but making great time.
post #29 of 70 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 6:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlash
Agreed. I didn't know we couldn't ride w/o electronic cruise. My RT doesn't have cruise at all, and I've got 42K+ so far.
Well and good. This is, however, an LT forum. Your statement implies, generically, that cruise control is non-essential.

It may be, to you. The point is, on a brand-spanking-new '06 model Top-'o-the-Line Tourer that's less than a year old, the buyer has a legimate right to expect the features to be functional, and STAY that way for a reasonable period of time. We all expect that kind of reliabillity with the automobiles we buy - are motorcycles different? Why?

Last edited by CriticalMass; Mar 12th, 2006 at 6:23 pm.
post #30 of 70 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 7:06 pm

Quote:
Well and good. This is, however, an LT forum. Your statement implies, generically, that cruise control is non-essential.

It may be, to you. The point is, on a brand-spanking-new '06 model Top-'o-the-Line Tourer that's less than a year old, the buyer has a legimate right to expect the features to be functional, and STAY that way for a reasonable period of time. We all expect that kind of reliabillity with the automobiles we buy - are motorcycles different? Why?
Absolutely correct that the cruise should work as advertised, and the owner/you/us should expect it to be repaired under warrant. Last winter the cruise control on my í02 LT stopped functioning on a long trip from home. I didnít park on the side of the road and call for a tow. I finished my trip. When the bike was taken in for service on my return home the dealership fix the problem under warranty.

The point being made is that the electronic control IS a non-essential item. It was your choice to not ride the LT for two-weeks. And I know what forum I am on.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

Last edited by tlash; Mar 12th, 2006 at 7:11 pm.
post #31 of 70 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 7:17 pm

The point being made is that the electronic control IS a non-essential item. It was your choice to not ride the LT for two-weeks. And I know what forum I am on.[/QUOTE]

Tom:

Apparently you and I understand each other.

Dick
post #32 of 70 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 7:34 pm

Thanks, Dick. To be fair, it griped me as well when the cruise on my LT malfunctioned.

Swerving this thread back on topic: I will add that the electronic cruise on my old Ultra Classic never gave me any trouble.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

post #33 of 70 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 9:01 pm

Ok,, will whom ever knows of a brand of bike that has never had a problem please raise your hand!!

By the way have you had your wings frame checked for cracks yet??

One more thing,, I think RT's are cool.... Ya should see the hard time I get on the wing site .............Regards Pete
post #34 of 70 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 7:00 am

harley-vs-bmw

if you like antiquated crude 40s farm implement technology buy all means go with the harley. on the other hand if you want superior german technology-engineering-and reliabilty go with a BMW. this comes from a ex harley rider.
post #35 of 70 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 9:49 am
kip

just one humble opinion

not sure how u get to fairly test ride both

the proof and conclusive decision comes after a nice 500 to 1000 mile ride.....

having had alot of different bikes.....having ridden 1 up and 2 up.....having been on good roads and bad.....in all kinds of conditions....what consistently amazes me is that no matter how far ive been......i still really wouldnt mind seeing whats around that next bend.....on the LT

case in point.....im coming home (north georgia) from daytona (502 miles) (last fall) .....but the weather is perfect.....conditions are optimal.....im thinking to myself...self....its only another couple of hours up to ironhorse.....might not hurt to see what John's done with the place....so I bypass home and opt for Ironhorse.....but....as I approach stecoah I realize that the sun is near setting and it would really be nice to see the sunset up on the parkway.....so.....I divert from Ironhorse.....to take in the sunset from a scenic overlook only 30 or so miles away.....coming down off the parkway I figure I might as well cruise through Cherokee too since I'm there.....finally landing at Ironhorse about dark thirty.....

even then.....I really hated turning the LT off....

thats what the K1200LT does .....it goes.....and goes....and u still want more.....

there really just is no comparison ........i guess they DO both have 2 wheels.....after that things are alot different....

and....i dare say....the rumble and vibration of other kinds of bikes tends to have a different effect of making u want to be there already.....

for whatever thats worth

kip
99 LT
post #36 of 70 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 12:33 pm

Cool How important is stopping to you?

If you like the feeling of squeezing a fist-full of brake lever and coming to a quick, predictable stop, the LT is your choice. The Harley is a death trap in emergency braking situations. The stock brakes are criminally inadequate for the weight of that bike. Of course, no one ever shells out extra money to upgrade the brakes on a HD, (unless there's chrome involved).

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #37 of 70 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 1:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlash
The point being made is that the electronic control IS a non-essential item.
Point taken. But what's the point of making that point? "Essential/non-essential" totally misses my point, which was that these sorts of infant mortality shouldn't occur at all. Sure the bike can be ridden without cruise control. So what?

Quote:
It was your choice to not ride the LT for two-weeks.
Yes. I addressed that earlier. I either had to accept 2 weeks at the dealer or make more trips to the dealer to pick it up, then leave it again later. I chose the former.
post #38 of 70 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 5:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
By the way have you had your wings frame checked for cracks yet??
Lemme' check....err, nope, that one's still up high on the list, Pete, but I've had to treat the LT's maintenance needs as higher priority, as they should be, right?

That one comes right after the items for getting the LT's cruise control working again, getting the LT's speedometer to read the correct speed, and getting a baseline metallurgical analysis done on a sample of the rear drive oil to detect early signs of wear metals from the bearings.

I can tell your concern is genuine, and I thank you for it.
post #39 of 70 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 5:31 pm

Talking

Quote:
That one comes right after the items for getting the LT's cruise control working again, getting the LT's speedometer to read the correct speed, and getting a baseline metallurgical analysis done on a sample of the rear drive oil to detect early signs of wear metals from the bearings.
DOH!
post #40 of 70 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 7:02 pm

Check, check Dave it was genuine.... Its free but I don't know if its time limited... They have reported of one actually braking and sagging to the ground,so be careful....Regards Pete
post #41 of 70 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit
DOH!
I couldn't have said it better!
post #42 of 70 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 7:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
it was genuine.... but I don't know if its time limited... They have reported of one actually braking and sagging to the ground,so be careful
I was being facetious, Pete, given the direction this thread has taken.

My Wing did, in fact, fall in the serial number list for the frame reweld recall, and, though no frame cracks were found, the recall directive specified a reweld, which involved MAJOR disassembly of the bike, and all that was accomplished within 1 week, at no cost to me, and I'm goin' on down the road.

I have not encountered a problem with the Goldwing similar to what I'm now experiencing with my LT, specifically, having a component fail very early in the life of the machine, and having to endure a long wait time for parts availability, as I am now for the cruise control switch that has failed on the LT. That's my bitch, and I'm sticking to it.
post #43 of 70 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 7:42 pm

I going through with this with the cop bikes. My supervisors/fleet guys are not happy with the reliability of the RTPs. Claim to much on maintenance and broken parts. Starters, ABS units, side stands, belts, clutches, hyd. cyclinder and etc........ I am tried of defending BMWs. I love the bike, but wow.
post #44 of 70 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 8:10 am

I think we are getting off track a bit. The question was not about someone's cruise not working, Heck I had a new 98 GW that the battery failed after only 4 months, but I put a new battery in it and rode it for 52,000 miles before selling. Going back to the orginal question - The LT will outperform the HD in every situation except the good sound. My wife would not ride with me on my HD Utlta Classic (which I liked) but will ride all day on my 05 LT. The ideal situation would be to have both, but if I had to choose for 2 up I would say go with the LT. Good Luck.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #45 of 70 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 8:33 am

Am I missing something? I don't get it when people look at the HD and actually think that they are neat LOOKING! Born and raised in the Milw. area and every time I look at the HD touring bikes I think of the Clunky Police bikes. To me, the HD has no style unless you think a style that never changes is stylish!
post #46 of 70 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
I going through with this with the cop bikes. My supervisors/fleet guys are not happy with the reliability of the RTPs. Claim to much on maintenance and broken parts. Starters, ABS units, side stands, belts, clutches, hyd. cyclinder and etc........ I am tried of defending BMWs. I love the bike, but wow.
interesting. we each have our own experiences with the reliability of our bikes. personally, i have not had any trouble whatsoever, with cruise controls, rear drives, shift linkages, etc.

but you have access to fleet maintenance histories, which gives you a unique perspective.

would you say that RTPs are, on the whole, less reliable the KZs and Harley police bikes? i'm curious. i had a KZ 750 years ago and it was pretty bulletproof. also ... what is the recommended end-of-life for a harley top end? i've always wondered how the rear cylinder lasts on an air-cooled v-twin that harley uses.

TIA.
post #47 of 70 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
Am I missing something? I don't get it when people look at the HD and actually think that they are neat LOOKING! Born and raised in the Milw. area and every time I look at the HD touring bikes I think of the Clunky Police bikes. To me, the HD has no style unless you think a style that never changes is stylish!
AMEN! I just cannot understand the "Retro" look that is so popular. I don't have any antiques in my home, don't want any in the garage either.

I rode my son in law's Harley for 4,000 miles before deciding to get back in to riding myself, then I bought my first LT. Absolutely did NOT want any "Cruiser" style bike. I actually have the ability to think for myself, don't need to fall into a large crowd of "individual followers". Funny, the crowd who wants everyone to look at them and see "rebels" or "individual thinkers" are probably the most clannish of all riders.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #48 of 70 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:42 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Some people like a style that never changes. And it's not about the bikes, it's about the image of freedom and rebelliousness carefully cultivated over decades of movies and TV. Why else do you think that 98% of all the custom choppers out there still use V-twin power, displayed proudly and in plain sight? It's just another level of the "image".

Whether it's actually true or not is beside the point. HD knows their target market, and caters to them very well. They are truly the best at what they provide, be it retro bikes, image, chrome, or an amazing array of branded products and accessories.

It just happens not to fit how I ride, so I look elsewhere. When BMW no longer fits how I ride, I'll look elsewhere again.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #49 of 70 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:44 am

Talking clannish? uhhhh ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Funny, the crowd who wants everyone to look at them and see "rebels" or "individual thinkers" are probably the most clannish of all riders.
don't look now, david, but a lot of riders think of one other group as highly "clannish." i won't spell out here what brand they ride, but it's made in germany and the first letter is a "B" and the last is a "W."

seriously, i have made some great friends on various LT rides and on this list, but before buying a BMW, i was routinely snubbed for riding a japanese bike by BMW riders. what i kept hearing: "i don't ride rice." yuck.

so i'm not so sure its a good idea to cast stones in this case.

errrr ... sorry to hijack the thread.
post #50 of 70 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit
don't look now, david, but a lot of riders think of one other group as highly "clannish." i won't spell out here what brand they ride, but it's made in germany and the first letter is a "B" and the last is a "W."

seriously, i have made some great friends on various LT rides and on this list, but before buying a BMW, i was routinely snubbed for riding a japanese bike by BMW riders. what i kept hearing: "i don't ride rice." yuck.

so i'm not so sure its a good idea to cast stones in this case.

errrr ... sorry to hijack the thread.
You can find that anywhere, any brand. But, I don't know of more than a very few I have met on this group, nor in the local BMW club that either have, or will express that attitude to other riders. We had members of the local BMW club that had Ducs, Guzzis, KTMs, a couple of Japanese bikes, and even the occasional Harley. Other than making the one loud piped Harley owner ride at the back of the pack (He could not keep up anyway), there were never comments made that were not humorous, and always taken that way that I could see.

Our local BMW club always met for breakfast on Sunday mornings at a local restuarant, and we were constantly having other brand riders stop to see what was going on when they saw all the bikes. They were always invited in for breakfast and to ride with us.

Yes, I have heard all the stories, but in my travels and circle of riders, I just did not see it.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in