Strange electrical problems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 11:00 pm Thread Starter

Strange electrical problems

On my 2003 LT, the warning light comes on and stays on, when ever I apply the brakes a little harder. Only way to reset it is by shutting off the engine and restart it. Cross Country BMW in New Jersey hooked it up to analyze and said that the problem is with the tail lights but offered no solution.I replaced all the light bulbs, checked all connections to the tail lights and came up empty.
Now, the only time the cruse control works when this warning light is on. Has any one encountered such a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Re: Strange electrical problems

How old is your battery? Strange things happen when the battery is nearly gone. Did you check the level of brake fluid in the 3 reservoirs? Check your ground near the battery and starter, make sure the bolts are tight. If all is ok, maybe check your relays under the tank.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sheldan2; Aug 9th, 2011 at 12:29 am.
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 11:26 pm Thread Starter

The battery is going on it's forth year. It is holding proper voltage before and after start. Brake fluid reservoirs are filled, main reservoir under the seat is filled to the top. The wig-wag light is working ok. I suppose I could re-check the grounding. Thanks for your quick reply.

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 9th, 2011, 12:19 am

If it was me, I would replace the battery and see what happens. Does your brake light come on while riding down the road at 60 and you hit the brakes, or does it only do it at idle? When last did you flush the brake system? just going over things to rule out here.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sheldan2; Aug 9th, 2011 at 12:28 am.
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 9th, 2011, 12:44 am
Super Moderator

Please note there are two reservoirs under the rear seat . . . just in case!!

Did you replace the tail light bulbs with the proper units?

Have someone follow you and see if your tail lights are flashing off and on as you
go down the road.
You may have a loose screw down near the starter. I did and boy did all sorts of electrical problems.

John Zeiler helped me trouble shoot this a few years ago. Visit a few of these locations to see if this may help:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...oad+shed+relay
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ght=flickering

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 9th, 2011, 8:28 am Thread Starter

Based on your comments, I have a few more checks to do but:
the brake lights are working fine-just as they are intended,
the flashing brake light does not come on after I start rolling-only the tri- angle danger light,
new bulbs with the recommended voltage,
brake fluid reservoirs-all 3 of them are filled, but has not been flushed recently

I'll start with flushing and bleeding the brakes and re-checking connections

Thanks for your help

Les
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 9th, 2011, 7:32 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Your dealer was correct. A steady general warning light with nothing else flashing is a rear light issue. The center bulb is the problem. This is a hold back from the same ABS unit used on the RS which only has one bulb in the tail light. On the RS if you fail the tail light element you get the warning AND the ABS brain lights the remaining Stop light element at low current to simulate the tail light.

Double check the bulb in the center of the tail light assembly and make sure the thinner, low wattage element is not burned out with a good visual inspection

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 8 Old Aug 9th, 2011, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments. I already replaced the center bulb with a brand new-correct Watts.
I read somewhere on this forum that if the danger light is activated, the cruise will not work. Now this is puzzling, because mine only works when the triangle light is lit, otherwise not. Just the opposite, something must be screwed up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in