top rack bag - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 3:27 pm Thread Starter

top rack bag

I am in need of a bag to go on my top rack on my 05 and I am wondering what the people in know are recommending. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Re: top rack bag

I'm using RKA bag liners, and a top rack bag came with it. Nice bags. I like 'em. I'm sure there's others that are just as happy with other brands too, just what I happen to have.
post #3 of 15 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 8:39 pm

I have the Chicane Dune that fits the top rack. They (Chicane) made one that fit the slots in the LT rack perfectly. It's a little smaller than the Dune model, but both are great bags and have a built in (sewed in) rain covers. They are out of business so you have to find used ones.

Love my Chicane!

Sammy

post #4 of 15 Old Aug 9th, 2011, 7:03 am

Kathy's bags all around. This one is for the luggage rack.
http://store.bobsbmw.com/product/kat...00lt-rack-sack
Mine are six years old.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 15 Old Aug 9th, 2011, 7:50 am

Take a look at Aerostich, their catalogue is online, I have the Ortleib, its waterproof and straps on nicely.

r

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #6 of 15 Old Aug 9th, 2011, 8:30 am Thread Starter

Thank you everyone
post #7 of 15 Old Aug 9th, 2011, 9:23 am

I have never had a top rack bag, but I have had RKA side case bags and can attest to the quality. Kathy's also makes nice bags.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #8 of 15 Old Aug 9th, 2011, 10:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

I've had great luck with a bag from Helen2Wheels. That was before she was bought out, so I don't know what the quality is now.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 15 Old Aug 9th, 2011, 11:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgroover
I have the Chicane Dune that fits the top rack. They (Chicane) made one that fit the slots in the LT rack perfectly. It's a little smaller than the Dune model, but both are great bags and have a built in (sewed in) rain covers. They are out of business so you have to find used ones.

Love my Chicane!

Sammy
Take a look here. Good friend of mine is selling just what you're looking for. You might check with him as to whether it's already sold, or is on 'wait'.

Don't know why Chicane went outta bidness - too much competition to make an inroad into selling those great bags?!?!
post #10 of 15 Old Aug 10th, 2011, 4:00 am

I use Kathy's So far so good.

When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all.
Colonel. Theodore Roosevelt

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who would do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. Albert Einstein
post #11 of 15 Old Aug 10th, 2011, 9:26 pm

Another vote for the RKA. In it's compressed configuration it holds my tools in the side case for daily riding. When I need the space, I put it on the top rack and open it up and get capacity both in the side case and in the bag. Works out great and is always useful for me. Not just sitting at home waiting for me to have a use for it. Money well spent. I have Kathy's bags for the cases, but liked the RKA better for the rack.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #12 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 7:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiler
I am in need of a bag to go on my top rack on my 05 and I am wondering what the people in know are recommending. Thank you

I use a sealine 80 liter bag with a diamond plate base I made at home.

It is waterproof and looks good on the back of the bike.

The base provides a flat surface for resting on the rear seat or the luggage rack on the top case.

I can send pictures if you want to see what it looks like.

Paul

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #13 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 9:58 am

For all of the monetarily challenged out there...

I was going to buy liner bags along with a top rack bag, but I decided to see if I could put what I already own to good use. I found that school backpacks (from my younger days) fit very nicely in the left saddlebag. After I tore out the CD changer I can get another one in the right bag. A smaller duffel bag that I already had fits very nicely in the trunk, and a larger canvas duffel bag goes on the rack secured by a couple of strong bunjee cords. I am going to spray that bag with a heavy duty water repellent and keep anything water sensitive out of there. Plenty of storage for the wife and I for a week.
post #14 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 10:25 am Thread Starter

That would be great paul. Thank you
post #15 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 4:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiler
That would be great paul. Thank you
Here you go

I am loading this up in the morning for a trip to Key West.

Also I can make you one or sell you this one I am am looking at another bag....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bag 001.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	32443   Click image for larger version

Name:	bag 002.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	1,009.7 KB
ID:	32444   Click image for larger version

Name:	bag 003.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1,021.0 KB
ID:	32445   Click image for larger version

Name:	bag 004.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	32446   Click image for larger version

Name:	seal_widemouth_duffles.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	32447  

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in