Hi. New to the LT and new to the forum. Couple of questions. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 9:09 am Thread Starter

Hi. New to the LT and new to the forum. Couple of questions.

Hi. This is my virgin post (so please don't beat me up too bad). I just (last week) bought a 2000 LT with 21k on it. I had been looking at quite a few and finally found the right bike at the right price. I love the bike!!! My plan is to do the 24k service over the winter and give everything a really thorough going over because right now I just want to ride it. I did look everything over for safety's sake before riding and have noticed that my rear rotor is loose. Not super loose and flopping around, but I can grab it and wiggle it around as opposed to my front two rotors which are solid. Has anyone had this happen on their bike? Is it common? Is there anything special I should do or look for before I just torque it back down?
Also, I definitely need to do the throttle cable upgrade that I have read about on here, both of the cables have MAJOR drag! Can someone tell me (or refer me to) what parts I need to order and where is the best place to order them from?
I really appreciate any help you guys can give.
Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 9:35 am

Re: Hi. New to the LT and new to the forum. Couple of questions.

I think I know what your rear rotor issue is. Do a forum search on the words 'cow bell' (no punctuation) and see if the results explain your issue. Seems to be a fairly common "feature" on the LT's that is usually permanently solved by replacing the rotor with an aftermarket part. There are some who have fixed the problem, at least temporarily, without replacement.

Enjoy your new ride. You got a good one without the integral brake system. They can't be beat.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee
Hi. This is my virgin post (so please don't beat me up too bad). I just (last week) bought a 2000 LT with 21k on it. I had been looking at quite a few and finally found the right bike at the right price. I love the bike!!! My plan is to do the 24k service over the winter and give everything a really thorough going over because right now I just want to ride it. I did look everything over for safety's sake before riding and have noticed that my rear rotor is loose. Not super loose and flopping around, but I can grab it and wiggle it around as opposed to my front two rotors which are solid. Has anyone had this happen on their bike? Is it common? Is there anything special I should do or look for before I just torque it back down?
Also, I definitely need to do the throttle cable upgrade that I have read about on here, both of the cables have MAJOR drag! Can someone tell me (or refer me to) what parts I need to order and where is the best place to order them from?
I really appreciate any help you guys can give.
Thank You.

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 9:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Until someone who knows what they're talking about joins in, I'll start with the rear brake disk, it's a floating design that, well, floats. (At least on 2002's and up. The brake system on the early LT's was different but I don't think that affected the rotors.) You can't just torque it down. So some wiggle is going to be present, but the disk is also prone to enlarging the mounting holes through wear so the disk has too much play. Eventually it will start to 'clunk' as you stop. Replacement with a disk from EBC is an option.

For parts check http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?kind=M&arch=0

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 10:56 am

Welcome aboard Thomas, you have come to the right place for more information than you can process. I am sure you will enjoy your new ride and as they say around here "RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT".

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 11:11 am

Here is a good place to start on the throttle cable
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...hall_of_wisdom
and
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...0lt_faq_common
and
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...l&titlesonly=0

as well as the search tool.

Welcome on board .

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 12:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Congratulations on your purchase.

You mention waiting until winter to do your 24k which should be no problem. But, unless you're certain the prior owner did it recently, I would go ahead a change the oil, transmission and final drive fluids now. It's a very easy service (lot's of great how-to information on this site). It's certainly common when someone decides to sell a bike, it's probably because they have ridden it in a while (which means they probably haven't service it either).

Enjoy the ride, control the smile on your face and avoid the bugs in the teeth.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in