Top ten states to ride your LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 10:31 pm Thread Starter

Cool Top ten states to ride your LT

Progressive Insurance assembled a list of fun facts about the best places in the United States to ride a motorcycle or scooter.

The top 10 states to ride a motorcycle:
1. Florida (Sorry Dave, but I've seen the blog)
2. Georgia
3. Arizona
4. South Carolina
5. Kansas
6. Mississippi
7. Oklahoma
8. Arkansas
9. North Carolina
10. Iowa

Hey, don't shoot the messenger!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 11:17 pm

Re: Top ten states to ride your LT

Ron.... Doood... Whatchu been smokin'?? You making this up?

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 29 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 11:26 pm

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2/1041...s-to-Ride.aspx

I'm sure this weighed heavy on their scale...

The top five states with the lowest likelihood of getting into a motorcycle crash:
1. Hawaii
2. Mississippi
3. Florida
4. Arizona
5. South Carolina

Hawaii.... no kidding. What's the per capita of MC/People?

Arkansas ,the Carolina's and Georgia I might agree with to a degree or curvy country roads and deer the size of dogs... on a GS! More hard pack in AR than asphalt up north!

2012 K1600GT

post #4 of 29 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 5:48 am

WV - I grew up riding with a 1,000 ft mountain in my back yard. Three miles up and 3 miles down paved, winding road that makes the tail of the dragon tame by comparison. There is now a tunnel through that mountain which means hardly any traffic in either direction.

That was just one of many great places to ride and that was at the bottom of the state. Riding north it just gets better and better...I'm homesick!

I love Florida, but the best think about riding in Florida is when you cross the FL / GA line, heading north...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 29 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 8:20 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Ron.... Doood... Whatchu been smokin'?? You making this up?
Nah man - quit 28 years ago when I found out I could be made to pee in a cup at anytime by the Feds - but whatever Flo is doin' I WANT some!

Just goes to show what an incredible disconnect there is between most corporations and their customer base. What kind of pin head would release something like this?

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 29 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 9:24 am

Kansas at #5! You have got to be kidding me. Progressive insurance? With their supposed knowledge of motorcycles, would you want this company providing coverage of one of your most cherished possessions. They obviously know nothing about motorcycle roads, makes you wonder what they about motorcycles in general.
post #7 of 29 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 11:23 am

Don't underestimate Kansas. If you get off the interstate and poke around you'll see some flat-out amazing scenery. Maybe the roads aren't "the best" for motorcycles (curve-wise), but curvy roads are there AND you'll find scenery that is out of this world. I spent three months in Kansas a few years ago on an IT contract and would love to go back on a bike.

Yes, Kansas.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 29 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 11:32 am
cwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Don't underestimate Kansas. If you get off the interstate and poke around you'll see some flat-out amazing scenery. Maybe the roads aren't "the best" for motorcycles (curve-wise), but curvy roads are there AND you'll find scenery that is out of this world. I spent three months in Kansas a few years ago on an IT contract and would love to go back on a bike.

Yes, Kansas.

"poke around you'll see some flat-out amazing scenery." Now thats a good one. We do have some fun MC riding here in Kansas...... but I have to agree that most of Kansas is "flat out"..

Chris Ogle, Baldwin,Kansas

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
post #9 of 29 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 12:10 pm

There are certainly better states than many of those listed!

What about CO, CA, ME, etc., etc..

I know from experience that CA has some amazing motorcycle riding, just stay away from the big cities, and it is great. Probably more total miles of great mountain roads than just about any other state. CO is great, but overall probably not the total miles CA has. CA also has both beautiful coastal and desert areas to throw into the mix. Great thing is that you can be in all three in one day, as desired.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 29 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 12:12 pm

Unbelievable list!

Tennessee wins my best ride for the buck state. Great roads and beautiful scenery most everywhere.

North Georgia is also good, but not below 34 degrees latitude.
post #11 of 29 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 12:20 pm

The bottom line: Every rider will have a different Top 10 list, based on their own experiences.

Not to excuse this list by Progressive. But it is obviously based off of a customer poll ... a group of "riders" that don't look for the same things that I look for, when rating a State. And that's not exactly shocking news, is it?

- Joe
post #12 of 29 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 12:36 pm

pretty much makes me want to see the definition of "best" they're using......

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #13 of 29 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 6:45 pm

Garage

I usually ride in the State of Confusion... it didn't make list, I see.
post #14 of 29 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler

Yes, Kansas.
I did like those Kansas farm girls back in the '70's - before they started drinking high fructose corn syrup.

They were real "down home" and some of the friendliest gals a guy could EVER hope to meet. Then came Ronson.

I've got to admit my total exposure to Kansas on motorcycles was driving a 1972 Kawi 500 H1B across the state in one day on Interstate 70... Hard to believe but that was actually a decent touring rig for the time - at least I thought so!

I bet it would be kind of fun to visit some of those small towns off the beaten path... but I'm kinda partial to hills and curves these days. Yeah, I'm spoiled rotten.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #15 of 29 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey

I know from experience that CA has some amazing motorcycle riding, just stay away from the big cities, and it is great. Probably more total miles of great mountain roads than just about any other state. CO is great, but overall probably not the total miles CA has. CA also has both beautiful coastal and desert areas to throw into the mix. Great thing is that you can be in all three in one day, as desired.
Could not agree more.

I've ridden the Pacific Coast Highway twice, once all the way into northern BC. I could do it AGAIN tomorrow. Throw in Death Valley and Yosemite, Sonoma and Healdsburg, the redwoods and the Lost Coast.... it just goes on and on. I could ride California (north of Santa Barbara) for months and never get bored.

It is just plain freakin' AWESOME. (but, I wouldn't want to live there)

OK, maybe Carmel by the Sea...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #16 of 29 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 11:03 pm

I may be biased but it doesn't get better than New England.

David Falkenstein

Cohesive Technology - seamless is everything

P: (603) 283-7624
post #17 of 29 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 6:38 am

Florida #1??? maybe for boaters and those who desire a straight line under sunshine. I've been here 10 yrs.now and have a list of I-95 on ramps I seek out when I absolutely can't go another inch without something that resembles a lean. I agree with Dano on this. The fun doesn't begin in earnest until I get into northern Georgia on secondary roads. BTW Dano if you would like to introduce me to some of them there roads you cut your teeth on give me a heads up before you pass Saint Augustine. Its so sad to trash a tyre with nothing more than the gloss worn off its shoulder.
post #18 of 29 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 7:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
Florida #1??? maybe for boaters and those who desire a straight line under sunshine. I've been here 10 yrs.now and have a list of I-95 on ramps I seek out when I absolutely can't go another inch without something that resembles a lean. I agree with Dano on this. The fun doesn't begin in earnest until I get into northern Georgia on secondary roads. BTW Dano if you would like to introduce me to some of them there roads you cut your teeth on give me a heads up before you pass Saint Augustine. Its so sad to trash a tyre with nothing more than the gloss worn off its shoulder.
Simir, living in Florida, we have the opportunity to get double the miles out of a set of tires. Ride the bottoms down here and every now and then, head north to hit the sides! I might miss my annual trip north this year because of other commitments, but if it looks like I'm heading that way, I'll give you a shout. You live in one of the nicest spots on the east coast.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #19 of 29 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 7:35 am

Thanks Dano I sometimes need to be reminded. It has been years since I've had to hoist a shovel full of wet snow over my shoulder or break ice off the horses water buckets. Is it wrong to want the 30* latitude to dissect North Carolina. If only Trelleborg made a tire for LT's. I just wish they wouldn't use a chalk line to lay out the infrastructure down here.
post #20 of 29 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 9:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller

7. Oklahoma
I remember reading an interview (I think it was in American Motorcyclist) with Neil Peart, who has logged well over 100,000 miles all over North America, and he said one of his favorite states to ride in (on a GS) was Oklahoma because of the number of dirt roads. That being said, and after being on a few Oklahoma dirt roads myself, I don't think I'd want to ride around OK on an LT.
post #21 of 29 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 10:14 am

Regressives Top 5 places to ride your Jet Ski
1-Alaska
2-Saudi
3-Bath Tub
4-Ft. Worth (Stock Yards) they ride everything down there
5-Lion Country Safari
post #22 of 29 Old Aug 9th, 2011, 12:12 am

Smile Re: Top ten states to ride your LT

Maybe it best for them!
post #23 of 29 Old Aug 9th, 2011, 10:44 am

Damn! This is one of the saddest posts I have ever read! I feel really blessed to have the roads we have here. Curvy mountain roads and passes, the Columbia River Gorge with Interstate 84 on the Oregon side and Washington SR-14 on the north side, great two lane twisty roads next to beautiful pristine meandering rivers, waterfalls, glaciers, the ocean (and I mean the big one on the left coast!) volcanoes. Yup! We pretty much have it all out here.

Plenty of room for you to visit!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
snip....... I've been here 10 yrs.now and have a list of I-95 on ramps I seek out when I absolutely can't go another inch without something that resembles a lean............. Its so sad to trash a tyre with nothing more than the gloss worn off its shoulder.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #24 of 29 Old Aug 9th, 2011, 2:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey

And we can ride year round! Try that in KS.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
post #25 of 29 Old Aug 9th, 2011, 6:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Progressive Insurance assembled a list of fun facts about the best places in the United States to ride a motorcycle or scooter.

The top 10 states to ride a motorcycle:
1. Florida (Sorry Dave, but I've seen the blog)
2. Georgia
3. Arizona
4. South Carolina
5. Kansas
6. Mississippi
7. Oklahoma
8. Arkansas
9. North Carolina
10. Iowa

Hey, don't shoot the messenger!

Ron, you confused the scooter list with the motorcycle list. This is OBVIOUSLY the scooter list.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #26 of 29 Old Aug 9th, 2011, 6:13 pm

Really? REALLY? This is the list Progressive put together? I suppose they would say Saskatchewan is the best province in Canada to ride in as well.

Really?
post #27 of 29 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 7:57 pm

Virginia and West Virginia +1

From Roanoke, VA you can take 311 up to Paint Bank, VA. Definitely stop at the Paint Bank store and plan on having food there. Take your camera in with you. There aren't many of these old stores still left, especially with that kind of great food in the back. A really laid back little area. Nice B&B across the street if rooms are available. A small town called Waterloo. Their bank had long ago met it's waterloo it seems.

Stay on 311 into White Sulphur Springs, WV. Just at the north edge of town on 92, take a left towards Falling Springs. At Falling Springs you hit 219 and it winds it's way northwards through Marlington, Dunmore and into Cass where it was fun to take the Cass Scenic Railroad. Doesn't show it in the pics much, but it was raining cats and dogs when we pulled in.

Spent about 2 hours going up and down the mountains retracing where this coal mine railroad ran daily many years ago. It was neat the way that railroad went up the mountain. If you can visualize a large Z against the mountain... the train would go past a switch, the brakeman would throw the switch and the train would back up a new section and up the mountain.. pass another switch that was thrown and that would send them up another zig zag and on and on up higher on the mountain. Train never had to turn around.

Then only a few minutes up 92/28 you can see the giant radio telescopes on your left at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory. Good tour here and these things are really big.

From there stay on 28 and follow the twisties for an hour or so. Such a good ride on the LT. We stopped at Seneca Rocks for a break and to take more pics of the cliffs there.

Seems we always got the best breakfast in the little Mom and Pop cafes in the little towns out of the way. Some of the roads we traveled through Virginia and West Virginia were all blacktop... no center lines... no white lines just blacktop running through the national forest and from town to town. I'm a GPS guy and Phil is a map and notebook guy. We had stopped to talk beside a really great stream and he asked me, "How far does this road go?" My answer was, "I don't know, but I'm going to the end of it!"

Somewhere up Vermont 100, we rode past this scene. I had heard about The Barn, Emerson Motorworks and the BMW work of David Segal and realized this must be the place. At that time I didn't really know that his place was in Vermont so we turned around and went back to look and noted the flowers and things and I thought that strange. Several nights later when in a motel with WiFi I googled his place only to sadly find out that he had passed away.

I've been all over and this area in western VA and into the eastern part of WV and it's one of my favorite in the eastern US. My brother-in-law Phil, and I did this on the way Valdosta, GA to Nova Scotia during our July-August trip of some 6,000 miles. He on his R1200RT and I on the K1200LT. Didn't mean to turn this into a travelog, but even though I'm from Georgia, West Virginia has some of the best roads I've ridden.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #28 of 29 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 9:54 pm

Why would anyone want to ride to Valdosta, Georgia?

Whoops! Sorry! Didn't realise that's where you're from!

Say "Hey" to Kirby for me................

post #29 of 29 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 5:01 am

I stumbled upon the Liberty gas station when my tank was running on empty and my bladder was running on full. Even the mens room is unique enuf to photograph. Those heading further north into Pennsylvania may find this ride interesting. Millersburg diesel powered paddle wheel Ferry will take you across the river for $5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millersburg_Ferry .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in