Dyna beads - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 6:08 pm Thread Starter

Dyna beads

Well, I had the dyna beads installed today in the front tire. I can't tell any difference at all. Still have a terrible wobble between 38_42 mph

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 6:17 pm

Re: Dyna beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey
Well, I had the dyna beads installed today in the front tire. I can't tell any difference at all. Still have a terrible wobble between 38_42 mph

No cigars please.
post #3 of 25 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 6:18 pm

I too have a serious wobble on my Metzler 880 equipped front end on the 2007 LT. I need to take the front tire off and have balanced and checked in case something is out of whack, but the wobble seems to be more associated with the road surface than a specific speed. It doe make it hard to take a hand off the bike to stretch it out and relax.

The trouble is that I have been out of town a lot lately.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06

post #4 of 25 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 8:43 pm

I would check both tires, cupping, uneven wear etc. I have dyna beads on my bike and have no issues.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #5 of 25 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 10:09 pm

I have to correct myself. After further review, I have the same kind of front end wobble at about the same range - 38-44 in my case. It does not matter much if its during acceleration or deceleration, expect that it it less sever when slowing down. Less energy I suspect.

The front end Metzler 880 had 41 lb. in it when I started and I did not dicker over the 1 lb. I had 48 in the back tire. There was no visible or tactile cupping in the tire. Tread looks like its about half or more.

I ran on the newest asphalt that I could find in the area and had about the same amount of wobble whether I hit the speed range in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear.

Interesting that we both have the same sort of issue. As mine says, its an 07 and with almost 30k miles

Bill

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #6 of 25 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 2:49 am

I have an '01 which has never exhibited the front end wobble to date. Makes no difference accelerating, decelerating or holding a steady speed. It is wobble free hands off.

The steering geometry was changed in '05 to improve low speed stability. I wonder if this change may have contributed to the issue.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 25 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 5:43 am

Sounds like a tire problem to me. Did you both experience the wobble when the tires were newly installed or did it show up later and at how many miles. Maybe some separation in the plys is happening?

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #8 of 25 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 7:55 am Thread Starter

I have an 09 and hadn't experienced any problem until approx 12,000 miles. I happened to have it in Ft. Meyers this winter and took it in for to have a new rear tire installed, one of the mechanics asked me if I had experienced the wobbling and I hadn't. Shortly after that I started to experience it. I was worried that maybe the front tire (which was worn and cupped a little) was the culprit so I had a new front tire put on. Both tires are Goodyears. The new front tire did not fix the problem. Both the Ft. Meyers dealer and the Grand Rapids (in Michigan) dealer both told me that this is a common problem and they don't know what to do about it.

It doesn't matter what kind of surface I am on. For some reason it is right in the range of 38-42 mph. If I'm going faster or slower, no problem. I could set the cruise at 55-60 and take my hands off of the bars and it is smooth.

Most of the time I simply just go faster or slower and it's not a big issue. The problem is if I'm in traffic going that speed.

The frustrating thing is that no one can seem to pin point the cause. It's such a crazy thing to have happen from such an awesome machine.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #9 of 25 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 8:09 am

Are you sure that the Goodyear tires are weight rated for the LT???

Quote:
I have an 09 and hadn't experienced any problem until approx 12,000 miles. I happened to have it in Ft. Meyers this winter and took it in for to have a new rear tire installed, one of the mechanics asked me if I had experienced the wobbling and I hadn't. Shortly after that I started to experience it. I was worried that maybe the front tire (which was worn and cupped a little) was the culprit so I had a new front tire put on. Both tires are Goodyears. The new front tire did not fix the problem. Both the Ft. Meyers dealer and the Grand Rapids (in Michigan) dealer both told me that this is a common problem and they don't know what to do about it.

It doesn't matter what kind of surface I am on. For some reason it is right in the range of 38-42 mph. If I'm going faster or slower, no problem. I could set the cruise at 55-60 and take my hands off of the bars and it is smooth.

Most of the time I simply just go faster or slower and it's not a big issue. The problem is if I'm in traffic going that speed.

The frustrating thing is that no one can seem to pin point the cause. It's such a crazy thing to have happen from such an awesome machine.

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #10 of 25 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 8:33 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Are you sure that the Goodyear tires are weight rated for the LT???

They are the Battleaxe tires recommended for the LT

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #11 of 25 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 8:46 am

Quote:
They are the Battleaxe tires recommended for the LT
That would be Bridgestone

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #12 of 25 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 4:15 pm

have experienced wobble on my 05 with bridgestone & metzler(?) at the same speed range. road hazard damage while tripping forced me to buy what was available in a small town in north ga. it was a pirelli diablo & it has cured the wobble. smoothest tire i've ever run on any of my bikes. problem is, i now learn it's not weight rated for the LT!!! never ride 2 up so i'm tempted to leave it on for local commuting. shows amazingly little wear for 4K+ miles.
post #13 of 25 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 4:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The only time a new front tire did NOT stop the infamous hands off wobble was a slightly out of round tire. I just lived with it until it wore out. Now I always check that when I balance it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #14 of 25 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 5:39 pm Thread Starter

Folks, I am sorry for the misinformation. My tires are the Bridgestone battle axes, not sure why I said Goodyear.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #15 of 25 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 12:30 am

Whew!

As an FYI, I rode the freeway home from work this morning, pointed the nose of the bike onto the exit at 60 mph and released the cruise control. Hands off from 60 mph to 20 mph no shake rattle or roll.

I really wonder if this is the steering geometry change that occured in '05.

Loren

Quote:
Folks, I am sorry for the misinformation. My tires are the Bridgestone battle axes, not sure why I said Goodyear.

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #16 of 25 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 5:44 am

How old is the tyre? Its possible if the beads were introduced after uneven wear occurred the beads can't over come the current uneven wear. Daytona puts beads in every new tyre I buy there on my 2003 LT. Head shake does not return until the tyre is almost used up. I'm thinking that at some point the beads can't make up for traces of uneven wear and it becomes exagerated with use. I read somewhere that the beads don't migrate in the tyre until it reaches about 30mph. IF that is true then slow speed riding would eventually cause some uneven wear. Just a guess
post #17 of 25 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 11:38 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:

Loren
Nope 'cause mine is rock solid right now. I have had three tires that is was solid with all the way to the end of the tire. But I had two tires that gave me the wobbles.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #18 of 25 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 12:46 pm

Wink Re: Dyna beads

Nope, not dependant upon the year of manufacture Loren. I know because my '00 has had the deceleration wobble when coasting down through around 40 mph with some front tires in the past. It is not there now, but has shown itself before on mine as well as other early model LT's. 99% of the time it is the front tire, but I believe there may have even been a rear tire as the culprit once. Not sure on the last item though.

John
Quote:
Whew!

As an FYI, I rode the freeway home from work this morning, pointed the nose of the bike onto the exit at 60 mph and released the cruise control. Hands off from 60 mph to 20 mph no shake rattle or roll.

Loren

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #19 of 25 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 2:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

One of your beads was likely stretched when the tire was mounted. That will cause the wobble. Unfortunately there is no way to confirm this that I am aware of. If you want to understand why a stretched bead will induce front end wobble think of trying to roll a cone in a straight line. Not going to happen is it? Now apply that to your newly stretched tire bead. One side now has a larger circumference than the other so the tire attempts to turn and then is corrected by the gyroscopic action of the wheel. Push, pull, repeat, and wobble. Couple that with a little harmonic pre-disposition and there you have it. I imagine there are lots of other things which can cause the issue but I know for a fact that a stretched bead was my problem because I did it myself. Old tire no wobble, stretched the new tire bead (oops) and big time wobble. They make a distinct popping sound when you stretch them, by the way............ Replaced the wobbler and changed my mounting technique. No wobble. Scientific proof? Nope. Pretty sure I'm right. Oh yea. 5000 miles on the tire now and nothing. I've even tried to get it to misbehave and it won't.

post #20 of 25 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 4:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
How old is the tyre? Its possible if the beads were introduced after uneven wear occurred the beads can't over come the current uneven wear. Daytona puts beads in every new tyre I buy there on my 2003 LT. Head shake does not return until the tyre is almost used up. I'm thinking that at some point the beads can't make up for traces of uneven wear and it becomes exagerated with use. I read somewhere that the beads don't migrate in the tyre until it reaches about 30mph. IF that is true then slow speed riding would eventually cause some uneven wear. Just a guess

The tire was put on in May and probably has almost 6000mi on it.

I had the wobble before the new tire and the new tire had no effect on the wobble.

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #21 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 6:05 pm

How many ounces of dyna-beads did you put in the front tire...? With the type of front end on the beemers, they suggest 2 ounces, just like the rear tire. I've installed these beads in all my bikes over the past years - I have always had good luck.
post #22 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 7:41 pm

I may be missing something here, but aren't these Dyna Beads things intended for correction of radial imbalance ? That being the case, would it not be unreasonable to assume that front end "wobble" cannot be corrected with the Dyna Beads, as it appears the 2 issues are unrelated. My '05 tends to do the hands off the bars thing at around 70kph (45mph) , start off a a tiny shimmer then gradually increases in severity to a point where a crash would ensue if one didn't grab the bars. Front tyre is a Battlax B020 and in good condition with 44 psi. To touch on the stretched bead theory, add a variable by finding a safe piece of road and moving to the other side for a time, then test for the wobble at critical speed. See if there is a diffence in behaviour due to running on the opposite side of the "cone". Just a thought. Maybe a reverse gyroscopic effect down under
post #23 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spd
How many ounces of dyna-beads did you put in the front tire...? With the type of front end on the beemers, they suggest 2 ounces, just like the rear tire. I've installed these beads in all my bikes over the past years - I have always had good luck.

I'm not sure how many ounces come in a package. 1oz??? They only put in one package, I did hear him say that the would need 2.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #24 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 8:15 pm

Daytona BMW has been using beads in every metzler 880 tyre they have mounted on my 03 LT. Until then I would get front end shake on deceleration around 45mph if I took my hands off the bars and I think it would go into a tank slapper if I didn't intervene and grab the bars. Now I don't experience any shake until the front tyre is worn to the point where there is about 1500 miles of tread left. You could mail them to find out how many beads they install [email protected]. As long as it doesn't shake with a hand on the grip I won't get too concerned but it would be nice to have it behave as well as my 1970 DT1 did when I let go of the bars.
post #25 of 25 Old Aug 17th, 2011, 8:42 pm

I think they come in 1, 2 and 3 oz packages typically.... I always purchase 2oz packs and install in front and rear as standard practice... Again - no problems at all, and I've installed these in my K12RS's, Tiger955i, K12LT, VTX1800 and my wifes M50... I had one buddy w/ an issue on his '85 K100 - hi initially did 1oz and then added the 1 additional and it corrected his low speed wobble during decel.... Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in