Failed Again - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 4:31 pm Thread Starter

Failed Again

After two final drive failures in less than 12K. (My LT only has 42K on it) I say push the LT into a ditch and burn it!

I ride to destress not to stress out and sit around waiting for tow trucks.

My local dealer is great but suggesting I buy a new 1600 is suggesting I buy a bike with the same final drive and twice the horsepower. IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

When I plan a multiple day ride I want to finish the ride. BMW goodwill doesn't cover your blown vacation or the rental cars, hotel and gas to get to and from and deposits lost. I cannot recover the experiences I was hoping to have.

Just read the forum and get smart ... I wish I had.

VOTE WITH YOUR FEET AND DUMP YOUR BMW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 4:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Failed Again

What year and how much do you want?

Dan Martin
post #3 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 4:47 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Whatttttttttttt Everrrrrrrr My LT has 148,000 miles on it and has never stranded me once. After reading this forum why would you take a FD failure to a dealer anyway. I can think of at least 3 of us that rebuild them for next to nothing with the proper Bmw spec. There is no reason for an LT final drive not to go at least 100,000 miles or more between rebuilds.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 4:47 pm Thread Starter

Well Dan I'll get the bike out of the shop this week with a newly rebuilt final drive, I'll investigate the market value and let you know. But I'm in CA and your in TX somehow I doubt your serious. The problem is not getting rid of this boat anchor it's finding a touring bike to replace it. Any suggestions?
post #5 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Well saddleman I'm with you 100% after I paid to fix the first failure...I'll never have to do this again...except I was wrong!
post #6 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 4:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandmelanie
Well Dan I'll get the bike out of the shop this week with a newly rebuilt final drive, I'll investigate the market value and let you know. But I'm in CA and your in TX somehow I doubt your serious. The problem is not getting rid of this boat anchor it's finding a touring bike to replace it. Any suggestions?
No suggestions. I need another LT. I am serious. CA to TX is 1.5 days. Fly out Sat noon back home Sun evening. I'll miss some work but I need a break.
dan
post #7 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 5:07 pm

I am with Dave on this one. Sounds like whoever is rebuilding your FD isn't doing something right. If you are that upset, make Dan a great deal and watch the tail pipe going out your drive way. You both win.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #8 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 5:23 pm Thread Starter

The problem is not the BMW Dealer who's doing the rebuilding IT'S THE FACT IT HAS TO BE DONE AT ALL!
post #9 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 6:05 pm

Well, You can't disagree with the fact that it shouldn't happen at all..

But it does.... Problem is that they're not assembled with the correct preload..

Get it fixed by someone who knows what they're doing...Then it won't fail again..

If you just go in and replace the failed parts and don't properly measure and set the preload it will just fail again... This part you have experienced...

Have it fixed right and ride on...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #10 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 6:25 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
After two final drive failures in less than 12K. (My LT only has 42K on it) I say push the LT into a ditch and burn it!

I ride to destress not to stress out and sit around waiting for tow trucks.

My local dealer is great but suggesting I buy a new 1600 is suggesting I buy a bike with the same final drive and twice the horsepower. IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

When I plan a multiple day ride I want to finish the ride. BMW goodwill doesn't cover your blown vacation or the rental cars, hotel and gas to get to and from and deposits lost. I cannot recover the experiences I was hoping to have.

Just read the forum and get smart ... I wish I had.

VOTE WITH YOUR FEET AND DUMP YOUR BMW
Tom I understand your upset about your bike but, you have not posted here in over 2 years then you have a run of bad luck & you blast every thread you can find about your FD going out 2 times in 12000 miles. Yes that sucks but it looks like you had the WRONG person rebuilt it. & I bet you took it back to the same place to only get the same crappy work done. All you are doing by posting the same CRAP over & over in as many threads you can find is showing YOU are an ass. Just sell the POS BMW & buy a Wing or a Victory Vision. Then you can go Piss & Moan on those Forums.

Stevie Shreeve
post #11 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 6:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

"Get it fixed by someone who knows what they're doing...Then it won't fail again.."

Correctomundo.

The problem isn't with the design, they were improperly preloaded at the factory. Many BMW "Certified Technicians" seem to forget about setting the preload and just replace the damaged parts. You know....... a parts monkey. Send it to Curtis instead.

post #12 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 6:43 pm

The question for me is why did the 1st one go with so few miles? and what/why are they so special/particular that a dealer is unable to repair them correctly?

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #13 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 6:59 pm

I am with you. Mine stranded my wife and I 1500 miles from home in June. Rental truck $900.00 extra gas $350.00 and there is no amount to cover the frustration and lost vacation. Mine has 111,000 on it and I have replaced everything on the bike except the motor and and tupperware.

I have to find a machine that will run and run. I currently have the bike in a million pieces. Not only the rear sealed failed for the third time but the clutch and now the transmission main bearing and seal. With a $29 rear engine seal that (not if but WHEN will fail again, I can't afford to ride this bike.

I am doing the work myself as the dealer wanted $3,000 and the bike is only worth $4,000. How can BMW design a bike that takes 13 hours at a dealer just to replace a clutch? Laughable is all I can say. Now that I have it apart I can see why. Dumb and Dumber.

It is the Best riding machine I have ever had for a two up touring but a real pain in the ass when it come to reliability. This was the last straw for me. Can U say Goldwing???

Kirk S.
post #14 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 10:12 pm

Kirk,
I can say Goldwing, but you ain't gonna like it, the Wing, that is!

Mechanical things can and do fail. Just because I have a '98 4Runner with 288,000 miles on it doesn't mean I don't have to fix stuff on it. Water pump, starter and all the wiring to the starter when the it stuck to the flywheel, and let out all the smoke. The insulation on the wiring keeps the smoke in. Once something breaks the integrity of the insulation and the smoke gets out, it's a bad thing.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #15 of 18 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 12:22 am

Talking Re: Failed Again

Lee, I am impressed! You did an excellent job here of explaining the "Smoke Theory of electronics"!!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
Kirk,
I can say Goldwing, but you ain't gonna like it, the Wing, that is!

Mechanical things can and do fail. Just because I have a '98 4Runner with 288,000 miles on it doesn't mean I don't have to fix stuff on it. Water pump, starter and all the wiring to the starter when the it stuck to the flywheel, and let out all the smoke. The insulation on the wiring keeps the smoke in. Once something breaks the integrity of the insulation and the smoke gets out, it's a bad thing.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #16 of 18 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 8:55 am

I'm gonna step out of character here and just ask you politely to go...... go away.

Life is too short to whine about stupid insignificant things. If your perspective is otherwise, then by all means:
I'll send you a buck.
Then you can call somebody who cares................we don't.
Goodbye.

Ride safe, ride smart, you're invisible; NOT invincible.

2016 R1200RTW Bronze

Before:
2009 K1200LT
2006 K1200GT
2004 R1200RT
1987 R80RT
1980 R100RT
post #17 of 18 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 10:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdavey
I'm gonna step out of character here and just ask you politely to go...... go away.
Thank you for saying what most of us here feel,
except I don't believe he deserves your politeness.
I can't stand a whiner! and I really can't stand someone being "such a pussy".
Life is unfair, be a man and "suck it up"
I've never said this to anyone here in the six years I've been here, better yet just go away!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #18 of 18 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 11:23 am

Quote:
The problem is not the BMW Dealer who's doing the rebuilding IT'S THE FACT IT HAS TO BE DONE AT ALL!
I sure wish you were an engineer. I've never had ANYTHING mechanical that wasn't able to break. All mechanical things do eventually suffer failure or simply wear out. My dad's 1952 John Deere has already had to have a clutch put in it, and my 1962 Massey Ferguson diesel is now getting ready for it's second starter. I probably should have a fire sale and unload them both before something really bad happens, like breaking a fan belt. I'm not saying your final drive failures weren't premature, and I don't even fault you for being irritated about that fact, but to sit in your fairy tale world and think that someone out there is building mechanical devices that never fail is preposterous. I wish I didn't have this safety sensitive job that requires periodic drug testing or I'd love to join you in whatever you smoke.

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

00 K1200LT (Emil) 94,840 trouble free miles. Gone, but not forgotten
02 R1150RT (Artie) 109,000 miles. Favorite bike. With me to the end.
10 K1300GT (The Phantom) 10,110 miles. Like flying a T-38 on 2 wheels. Gone.
12 K1600GTL (Johnny 5) 3,500. A great compromise between the LT and GT

A gaggle of Japanese bikes, then I woke up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in