WOW!!! Glad I was getting ready to change it. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 9:06 am Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

WOW!!! Glad I was getting ready to change it.

This is what I found this morning as I was testing on a repair of a members EHCS unit on my bike. Later this morning I was going to pull the front wheel and install a new tire for the trip to CCR. I'll admit since installing my Smartire system I no longer stop before each ride (day) and check pressures and give the tires a once over. I think I am going to get back into the habit of the once over. I just got back from a two up trip to the Smokies. Could have been really bad in one of those over cooked corners if this had let go!!!

For the data hounds this was a ME880 made in Germany with a date code of 1609. It was installed in March 2010 and has about 12,000 miles on it.

I'll post the post mortem after I change it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tirea.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	32396   Click image for larger version

Name:	tireb.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	372.4 KB
ID:	32397  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 9:37 am

Re: WOW!!! Glad I was getting ready to change it.

Wow! That's the 1st Metz I've ever seen do that. As good as the tread still looked & the mileage, you might get some kind of warranty out of that one.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #3 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 10:28 am

The dreaded wear bulge indicator! So glad you found it before it let go.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
This is what I found this morning as I was testing on a repair of a members EHCS unit on my bike. Later this morning I was going to pull the front wheel and install a new tire for the trip to CCR. I'll admit since installing my Smartire system I no longer stop before each ride (day) and check pressures and give the tires a once over. I think I am going to get back into the habit of the once over. I just got back from a two up trip to the Smokies. Could have been really bad in one of those over cooked corners if this had let go!!!

For the data hounds this was a ME880 made in Germany with a date code of 1609. It was installed in March 2010 and has about 12,000 miles on it.

I'll post the post mortem after I change it out.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 10:32 am Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
Wow! That's the 1st Metz I've ever seen do that. As good as the tread still looked & the mileage, you might get some kind of warranty out of that one.
Maybe but I rarely go more than 14K on a front. Still tread left but there are usually heat cracks or other road damage by then so I prefer fresh rubber. This was my 5th front in 64K and I am on my 9th rear.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #5 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 10:37 am

I had my last two 880's on the rear do this.

The first one, I thought it was just a poor balance, just changed it out myself.

When the second one did the same thing, I reported it to Metezler and they gave me a free replacement and they wanted the bad tire.

Great customer service, but something is going on.

Both tires were less than 50% worn.

They are a great company, you need to contact them with the pix ASAP.
post #6 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 12:16 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Thanks Warden. I guess it is important to let them know.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #7 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 1:34 pm

Glad that tire stayed with you until today, John. Geez - that's what nightmares are made of!!!

I've still got this tire in my shed as a reminder to do the pre-flight dance before every take off. Gotta admit tho, I don't do it 100% - butt I'm gonna follow your tact and instigate a promise resolution. Be interested in what you saw on the inside of the tire after you removed it. Mine ballooned both externally and internally. Scary stuff!! Pic one is normal profile of the tire; pic two and three show external bubble; and pic four shows internal bubble.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Normal tire.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	32398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera Picture 2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	32399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubbled portion.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	32400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scanned Picture 1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	32401  
post #8 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 1:52 pm
Gold Supporter

Glad you caught this, the 880's are failing all over the boards, Harlys and Bmw,
I pays to look at your tires, this could have save you life.
post #9 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 4:28 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

It acted just like a skin blister. I poked the thing and let the blister air out and she when down. I looked on the inside of the carcas and I see no flaws. I'll let Metzeler know and see what they say.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #10 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 6:47 pm

Quote:
It acted just like a skin blister. I poked the thing and let the blister air out and she when down. I looked on the inside of the carcas and I see no flaws. I'll let Metzeler know and see what they say.
Sometime after I took pics of my tire, the inside bubble flattened back down to carcass level, and the outside bubble retreated to match the rest of the tread profile. I prolly should've contacted the someone in the supply chain back then, butt didn't. Memory bank now is void of mileage/dates/etc!!
post #11 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 11:22 pm
Super Moderator

John,

Sorry to see you join the "my tire is coming apart crowd".

I run only Bridgestone tires and my last pair were radials and here is why (see picts) they probably do
not make them any more. This tire let loose in several places and was rubbing the swing arm - lucky
for me I was on my daily commute to work and returned home 12 miles with no issues. I called the
Bridgestone tire engineer who gave presentations at one of the CCR's - TJ Tennent looking for
advice, information and warranty. He blew me off since it was a radial and they no longer make them
and the date on tire was a little old.

Oh and by the way I could really feel this and smell this once I was in my garage!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Last edited by dfinazzo; Aug 7th, 2011 at 12:04 am.
post #12 of 19 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 11:35 am Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Well I heard back from Metzeler but they keep telling me to take it to my tire dealer for an inspection. I told them I mail order and do my own installs and they came back and said they did not want the photos. But if I wanted to have my dealer send it in for an inspection I should have my dealer contact them. Also their provided warranty statement said they do not warrant tires on a vehicle that has pulled a trailer. I guess I am done here.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #13 of 19 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 11:48 am

Quote:
Well I heard back from Metzeler but they keep telling me to take it to my tire dealer for an inspection. I told them I mail order and do my own installs and they came back and said they did not want the photos. But if I wanted to have my dealer send it in for an inspection I should have my dealer contact them. Also their provided warranty statement said they do not warrant tires on a vehicle that has pulled a trailer. I guess I am done here.

I took mine to my dealer, the dealer mounted me a new tire and I had to pay for it.

The dealer sent the lemon tire to Metz.

Then Metz reimbursed the dealer for my cost. The dealer reimbursed my credit card. All this was very quick.

Perhaps you could contact the vendor where you purchased the tire.
post #14 of 19 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Quote:
... Also their provided warranty statement said they do not warrant tires on a vehicle that has pulled a trailer. I guess I am done here.
Trailer? What trailer? Does anyone have a signed, notarized affidavit and photos proving THAT tire was used to pull a trailer?

That hitch hasn't been used in some time...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #15 of 19 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 10:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
John,

Sorry to see you join the "my tire is coming apart crowd".

I run only Bridgestone tires and my last pair were radials and here is why (see picts) they probably do
not make them any more. This tire let loose in several places and was rubbing the swing arm - lucky
for me I was on my daily commute to work and returned home 12 miles with no issues. I called the
Bridgestone tire engineer who gave presentations at one of the CCR's - TJ Tennent looking for
advice, information and warranty. He blew me off since it was a radial and they no longer make them
and the date on tire was a little old.

Oh and by the way I could really feel this and smell this once I was in my garage!!
I had one do this too, but it wasn't a radial. That's why I went to Metz. Now I dunno...

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #16 of 19 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 10:31 pm

Sounds like the Metzler rep. was looking for an out and found it with the hitch in the pic. I am trying to figure out why I have a front end wobble from 38 to 42 Miles and hour. There is no cupping and I run pretty close to 42#. But I guess its time to wet them down and scour them for bulges and other defects. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Glad you found this on the rack instead of the road.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #17 of 19 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 11:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The wear indicates it has been that way for a few miles as you can see where the tread no longer has any depth at the bulge. Always hard to tell what causes those problems. Impact damage, factory defect, or who knows? We obsess over tire balance and then can't usually feel a big knot on the tread. Good incentive to always check those tires.

Please repost and let us know if the bulge goes away when the tire is deflated and if there's anything unusual looking on the inside. I'm always looking to learn more on tire issues.

post #18 of 19 Old Aug 9th, 2011, 7:34 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBil
Sounds like the Metzler rep. was looking for an out and found it with the hitch in the pic. I am trying to figure out why I have a front end wobble from 38 to 42 Miles and hour. There is no cupping and I run pretty close to 42#. But I guess its time to wet them down and scour them for bulges and other defects. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Glad you found this on the rack instead of the road.

Bill
No pics have been sent - they just like working with dealers. Try a re-balance of your front wheel and check it for an out of round tire.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #19 of 19 Old Aug 9th, 2011, 7:37 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey

Please repost and let us know if the bulge goes away when the tire is deflated and if there's anything unusual looking on the inside. I'm always looking to learn more on tire issues.
Actually I poked the "blister" before I even pulled the wheel and it went right down like a fluid blister on your hand. No additional air came out and it did not re-appear in the hour or so it took to remove the wheel and then the tire. This inside of the carcass was pristene. Hard to say what caused it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in