help please - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

help please

Yesterday I experienced my clutch slip while accelerating from 60
mph. Today it slipped while starting out once and in reverse it sort of stuttered. I am on the road in Seattle, and Ride West BMW was of no help on the Phone and has no time to look at it. Can I continue on my trip or be worried about breakdown? Any suggestions will be welcome.
05 LT 42000 MILES
Thanks, Jack from Spokane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 8:27 pm
Super Moderator

Re: help please

Note your K1200LT has a dry clutch like a car has.

A slipping clutch can have four suspect areas to look at.

1. Engine rear main seal leak
2. Transmission front seal leak
3. Hydraulic clutch slave cylinder leak
4. Clutch just worn out

You can make a quick determination if it is #4 - drill a 1/8" hole in the bell housing between the transmission and the engine. If no oil comes it is number 4. The small hole you drilled will not be a problem - in fact it is a good tattle in the event you have leakage in the future.

If oil comes out it is either 1-2-3. If the oil looks real black like motor oil it is #1.
If the oil is red it is most likely #2 transmission fluid - that is if you use red transmission fluid. If the oil is yellow to clear it is most likely #3.

Mine was black and I lost a rear main seal. If you are on the road this is a major repair because no mater what the cause you are going to need to get the wheel off, drop the rear drive, take off the swing arm, and pull the transmission. At some point on this process you will determine the cause of the slippage. Then you are going to need to pull the clutch out and inspect what parts you are going to need to be replaced or cleaned and put back.

I caught mine very early - spotted a single drop of oil on the ground under the bike. I really did not even need to replace the clutch but I did - all the rest of the parts were cleaned up and put back together. Took me a long week end by myself!

I believe the price to do this in a BMW shop will range from $1500 to $2500 with the bike laid up for 1 to 2 days.

In either case if it is now slipping it will not get any better if the source of the slipping is wither #1-2-3 and continuing on a trip would be risky. But if you need to keep moving drive a lower speeds and rpms and shift as little as possible. You risk is you may get stranded or ruin more parts like the clutch housing or pressure plates and misc clutch parts. Drill that hole and see what comes out for starters.

Sorry for the bad news . . .

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #3 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

Is it possible it could be a low fluid situation? Please!!

post #4 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 9:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Nope. Low clutch fluid will simply make your clutch fail to operate. Low engine or transmission oil would have no effect unless the missing oil is in the clutch assembly. A "normal" contamination slips first in 5th at full throttle, then 4th at full throttle, etc. Many times the machine can be babied along for many miles IF it is just seepage and not a significant leak. Check your clutch reservoir to see if it's full. If so, that's a good sign and likely means that your slave cylinder is intact. If you are running synthetics you could then try changing back to Dino in the engine and transmission which may delay the leakage and allow you to get home. Be certain to not overfill the tranny or engine. Opinions vary but some believe overfilling can contribute to the rate of leakage, particularly with the transmission.

Last edited by deanwoolsey; Aug 5th, 2011 at 9:36 pm.
post #5 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 10:10 pm

I'm just outside of Portland maine.
As I was preparing for a road trip today, I noticed my front tire had a slash in it.

I called the BMW dealer in nearby fallmouth. they have the tire but won't mount it on my rim if I bring the rim to them sat. Same story for the nearby dealer in NH, MAX BMW.

They both said, towards the end of next week.

My experience with the dealer in Tucson Az was that they needed at least a week before they could get my bike on their lift; they would find out what parts they needed, park my bike, and order the parts. After the parts they needed came in, they would put my bike back in line for repair, at least another week after the parts arrived.

Not good news if you are on the road and need a repair.

best from Gorham Maine
bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 10:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
As I was preparing for a road trip today, I noticed my front tire had a slash in it.

I called the BMW dealer in nearby fallmouth. they have the tire but won't mount it on my rim if I bring the rim to them sat. Same story for the nearby dealer in NH, MAX BMW.

My experience with the dealer in Tucson Az was that they needed at least a week before they could get my bike on their lift; they would find out what parts they needed, park my bike, and order the parts. After the parts they needed came in, they would put my bike back in line for repair, at least another week after the parts arrived.

best from Gorham Maine
bob
Bob, any motorcycle shop should be able to do that tire for you. I had mine done by the local Yamaha dealer

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 10:24 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse
mph. Today it slipped while starting out once and in reverse it sort of stuttered. I am on the road in Seattle, and Ride West BMW was of no help on the Phone and has no time to look at it. Can I continue on my trip or be worried about breakdown? Any suggestions will be welcome.
05 LT 42000 MILES
OK, in reverse the clutch is not involved at all so I presume it was your imagination. Don't panic. Unless it is massive contamination you can continue riding the bike. Mine started the "acelerate from 50" slip on a trip back from Texas pulling a trailer. I continued to ride for two months and took a trip to Cape Girardeau and back to Alabama before I replaced the clutch. Just continue to ride her gently but be ready for it to get worse. Look for a loss of fluid in the clutch reservoir, that indicates a leaking slave. Look for oil on the bellhousing as that indicates a leaking engine seal. No way to really tell if it is a tranny seal with out going in. Like I said if it is not a massive leak you can continue to ride.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 10:38 pm

Doesn't the clutch master cylinder fluid level rise on these as the clutch wears? Is there any chance that clutch wear has increased the fluid level to the point where the clutch is not able to fully engage? Seems I heard this somewhere but am not sure. Anybody?

Ross
K1200LT (99)
post #9 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 10:39 pm

Quote:
05 LT 42000 MILES
Kind of an interesting array of problems, sounds like clutch, but normally the clutch slippage begins becoming apparent at higher gears or when heavy loading occurrs on the clutch..What gear were you accelerating from 60 in? How much slipping of the clutch did you do when starting out (once?) and what is sort of stuttered mean in the reverse?

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 11:34 pm Thread Starter

I was in 5th going about 60, rpms went up to about 6500. I backed off and tried to replcate it later but was unable to. Today it slipped from a standing stop. The reverse thing I hope was in fact my imagination, but it didn't feel right. I like the post about continuing the trip, BUT? I will continue reading all responses here and appreciate them. I will check my clutch fluid in the am.
post #11 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 11:55 pm

Bob, I use a local Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki motorcycle, Bombardier watercraft and snowmobile shop to mount and balance my tires that I buy online. Makes no difference what time of year it is if I bring it to the shop in the morning they always "work it into the schedule" and I have it back by early afternoon. Funny thing, they have mounted tires for me on a MONDAY too! During the riding season they keep Monday hours. Huh! What a novel concept!

Loren

Quote:

best from Gorham Maine
bob

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #12 of 20 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 6:01 am

Quote:

best from Gorham Maine
bob
That's odd for MAX, I've just walked in on Saturdays with my wheel, bought a new tire and walked out less than a half hour later with it mounted and balanced.

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #13 of 20 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 6:22 am

Hi, as posted before, don't come in panic, nothing can happen. Either the clutch has enough grip to the plate or it slips. If you ride the bike gently with a bit of feeling for that slip effect you should handle this. If there is no leak of oil maybe it recovers. Have had the same on my bike, slipt once in a while is gone now.

Good luck and safe riding, Manfred
post #14 of 20 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 6:55 am

Quote:
Is it possible it could be a low fluid situation? Please!!
No.

B D R
post #15 of 20 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 7:05 am

Continue your trip?

Guess this would depend on where you are, where you plan to go and where is home.

If not far from home, head in that direction. If planning an extended ride, you probably want to postpone it till you can get it fixed.

Not a quick fix, will require removal of pretty much most of the back half of the machine and the repair parts which may not be in stock. With all parts on hand, still about a 2 day job.

If stuck out on the road somewhere, consider renting a UHaul/Ryder truck, loading the LT and bring it home that way. Better than to be stuck somewhere at the mercy of an unknown repair.

It will NOT get any better if you ride it, only get worse.

Will need a new clutch plate and correction of the original point of failure such as the rear main seal.

Sorry if this is not what you would like to hear but just telling you how it is.

B D R
post #16 of 20 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 7:14 am

Quote:

best from Gorham Maine
bob
Bob:
If you weren't so far away, I'd change that tire for you. With a tire changer, takes less than 10 minutes, without one, working with spoons and being careful to not damage the rim, maybe 15 minutes. That is if you pull the wheel. A half hour if you don't.

Playing the game of needing to schedule something as simple as a tire change for some one on the road raises my blood pressure a few points.

B D R
post #17 of 20 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 10:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
Bob:

Playing the game of needing to schedule something as simple as a tire change for some one on the road raises my blood pressure a few points.
Gunny, he said he noticed a slash in the tire. Can't schedule for something like that.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #18 of 20 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 12:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
Gunny, he said he noticed a slash in the tire. Can't schedule for something like that.
Thats my point exactly.

B D R
post #19 of 20 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 2:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoolbaugh
That's odd for MAX, I've just walked in on Saturdays with my wheel, bought a new tire and walked out less than a half hour later with it mounted and balanced.

Not the experience I had at MAX. I called and asked if I needed an appointment, they said no, just bring it in. So I did, I waited two hours for them to change the tire, and I brought them the rim. Told them not to balance, they did anyway and charged me.

I now use a local independent, he doesn't have the tires in stock, but has them next day, and is MUCH cheaper than MAX.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

post #20 of 20 Old Aug 6th, 2011, 3:38 pm

My K1200LT had these symptoms:

If I gave the bike full throttle under 70mph in 5th gear the clutch would slip. If I downshifted and gave the bike full throttle I had no slip. I drilled the inspection hole as suggested and found no oil. I took brake cleaner degreaser and gave the clutch a good cleaning using the inspection hole. This cleaned out the clutch dust and has minimized the problem. I can still get the clutch to slip in 5th so I simply downshift and accelerate.
You can probably do the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in