Which Accessory Shelf ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 1:29 pm Thread Starter

Which Accessory Shelf ?

I'm sure this is duplicative, but my search of the forums didn't help me find the answer to this question.

I would like to mount various gadgets on my new (2001) LT (amateur radio, iPod, gps, etc) and have been trying to decide on the best shelf for them. I've located the RCU and BMR products. How should I decide between them, or is there another I have not yet discovered? Is one the recognized must-have? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 2:01 pm
TMH

Looks like the one which came on my bike is the BMR unit. Very nice and handy.

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #3 of 12 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 2:15 pm

I second the BMR shelf. Lots of different arms, and it works as a good sun screen for your gages.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 2:24 pm

I went with the BMR primarily because I didn't know how crazy I would get adding farkles. With the accessory arm options it is quite expandable. It is a solid quality built product and it was not difficult to install, once I got over the idea of drilling holes in the dash cowl . They also make a number of different mounts for a variety of popular gps units and for a few other devices.

I am sure the RCU shelf is good quality product too or it wouldn't be recommended by this forum. It is about $16 less expensive ($89) than the BMR but either one is a bargain as far as I am concerned. I know there are a number of people that have had the time and talent to build their own , I just don't happen to be one of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #5 of 12 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 3:55 pm

Personally, the looks alone of the BMR shelf are worth the small difference in price. I've never ridden an LT with the other brand shelf to compare stability first hand, but my BMR shelf seems very stable. My little wind deflector vibrates more than the shelf.

I found the folks at BMR Products to be responsive and polite. I like supporting vendors that give good service.
post #6 of 12 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 5:25 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

The BMR shelf gets Raffy's seal of approval.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #7 of 12 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

Landslide

I think the majority has spoken. I'm off to the BMR website...

Thanks everyone!
post #8 of 12 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 6:51 pm
TMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwilshire
I think the majority has spoken. I'm off to the BMR website...

Thanks everyone!
... But if you want to save some money I just saw an RCU shelf for about half price here: http://www.ibmwr.org/market/adlist.php?cat=kas

About 4 items down from the top.

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #9 of 12 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 7:48 pm

Could someone post a fairly close up pix of the self for me?? Thanks..........Regards Pete
post #10 of 12 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 11:00 pm

Bmr

I just put the BMR bracket on my 2000 lt.. I love it.. I will go take a picture and post it ASAP... BMR also had great customer service.. I ordered the wrong Sun Visor for my Satellite Radio and they sent me on ( at no charge) and just asked me to send the incorrect one back as soon as I had time.. I am a big BMR fan..
Scott

SMoore
2000 BMW K1200 LT
1998 BMW 528 I
1994 BMW 530 I
1991 BMW 325 IC

post #11 of 12 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:03 am
Bouncer

BMR CoPilot Shelf. Much better than the RCU I used to have.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #12 of 12 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 7:02 pm

Close up photo

Pete;
I will be installing my co-pilot this Saturday (if I can get the nerve up to drill holes in a new bike!), and can email you some close up photos.

Send me an email if you would like them. [email protected]

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in