Wilbers Shocks Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 11:21 am Thread Starter

Wilbers Shocks Questions

The shocks on my 2005 have not changed much from new in 12K but I am anticipating a purchase of Wilbers. The Wilbers stock size is 1/4 inch longer that the stock shocks. I was thinking of ordering the Wilbers 1/4" overs stock for front and 1/2" to 1/4" below stock for the rear. I figure that will slow the steering down slightly and help with the slight wallow at very slow speeds especially loaded two up. Anybody out there do this? There was one other person on theis board awhile back that said he dropped the rear 1/2". Trying to find if done this was helpfull in smoothing out the slow speed wallow.

Thanks, Walt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 2:17 pm

Walt,

I run Wilbers on my '03, but just went higher on both ends 1/2" for more ground clearance due to my hefty butt and aggressive riding style. The Telelever isn't a standard fork by any means, but wouldn't you be adding rake and trail by the adjustments you describe? Quicker steering generally means less rake and trail ( more vertical orientation ). I will say that the range of adjustment available on the Wilbers may be enough to make alterations that will please you. I would think that your two-up problem might be helped significantly by ordering the correct spring on the rear shock. You can specify your weight loads when you order the shock, and they come adjusted pretty well spot on. I ordered mine for two-up and a full load of baggage, and it put the static sag on the rear of the bike right where I wanted it when riding solo. The heavier spring on the rear greatly reduces the squat when I'm fully loaded. Just some food for thought...

Brett

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'!

2003 BMW K1200LTC "El Gato Grande"
1993 Suzuki GSXR1100W
1978 Suzuki GS1000C 'Project'
post #3 of 11 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 2:28 pm

Thumbs up

Can't speak about "05" handling issues .... but can about Wilbers in general, have them on my Y2K LT.

You are incorrect about eye to eye lenth on Wilbers differing from stock shocks, (unless ordered that way) The wilbers will however raise your bike @ 1/2" at each end because of a better matched/stiffer spring that is correct for bike & load weight.

The wallowing is from the stock shock itself having very soft compression & modest rebound damping values.
Wilbers will because of being a "performance" shock have both stiffer compression damping overall, yet fully adjustable rebound controll.

Your overall ride quality (Plushness) will be slightly harsher with wilbers than stockers , Yet far more solid feeling to the road with virtually NO WALLOW!!

IMHO, order your new shocks as standard lenth units, You will be VERY happy with the ride quality and differant handling traits because of formentioned reasons.

Good Luck.
Scott

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

Last edited by motorhead; Mar 9th, 2006 at 2:38 pm.

post #4 of 11 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 2:56 pm

The lower seal on my rear Wilbur blew recently and had to send it back to NJ for rebuild. During the time it was gone, I reinstalled the factory shock. Jeepers, Beav, what a difference! It is very easy to get used to the quality performance of the Wilburs. I had forgotten about the wallow which seems to have some of its roots in the rear as well as the return of bottoming out. My stock shocks had 18K miles on them when I changed them out. I ordered mine for two full size people plus luggage and had them increase the height by an extra inch due to my height and inseam. I agree with Motorhead in ordering them equal length. The ride improvement and handling will be shocking!

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #5 of 11 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 4:31 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.
post #6 of 11 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 7:47 am

Question Umm...a valid concern?

OK proud Wilbur owners...a question for you, (if I may).

Currently, I grind hardware (both the hard stuff, and Tupperware) when riding the likes of Deals Gap (US129) with my OEM shocks. This really has me wanting to get the Wilburs. My concern is that it will allow me to lean the LT past the point of available traction. Is this a valid concern or not?
post #7 of 11 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 8:12 am

Joe

It doesn't appear to push the bike past its limits. I have 60,000 on Wilburs and the grinding (plastic and metal) continues but at angles increased over OEM shocks because, even though they are the standard length, they aren't as compressed etc as the OEM's are in the same circumstances. I have taken the front tire all the way to the edge and ground off the rubber thingy's which is hard to do on OEM shocks (I couldn't previously manage it).

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #8 of 11 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 8:17 am

Bob

I am uncertain how the increase in height on the shocks was a benefit to you given your inseam. Since the pegs are attached to the frame, the increase in suspension height wouldn't change the seat-to-peg distance, so all it might do would be to raise the general height of the bike which isn't an issue with tall people, and even then only when stopped. Can you give further insight? I am thinking of increasing the height of the rear shock myself but for other reasons, so I am keen to hear.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 8:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattso
The shocks on my 2005 have not changed much from new in 12K but I am anticipating a purchase of Wilbers. The Wilbers stock size is 1/4 inch longer that the stock shocks. I was thinking of ordering the Wilbers 1/4" overs stock for front and 1/2" to 1/4" below stock for the rear. I figure that will slow the steering down slightly and help with the slight wallow at very slow speeds especially loaded two up. Anybody out there do this? There was one other person on theis board awhile back that said he dropped the rear 1/2". Trying to find if done this was helpfull in smoothing out the slow speed wallow.

Thanks, Walt

I run the wilbers and got the adjustable ride hieght option but I added height to my bike for more ground clearence, raising the rear a tad more than the front so it handled a tad quicker, I have no problems with slow speed on this bike .

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #10 of 11 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
OK proud Wilbur owners...a question for you, (if I may).

Currently, I grind hardware (both the hard stuff, and Tupperware) when riding the likes of Deals Gap (US129) with my OEM shocks. This really has me wanting to get the Wilburs. My concern is that it will allow me to lean the LT past the point of available traction. Is this a valid concern or not?
you know I raised mine, so.
yes for you it might be!, i have feathered the edges off my tires (aka 0 chicken strip), but have not had it slip yet! you know what tires I run, your welcome to ride my bike once and see how you like it, we can turn up my preload to adjust for your weight compared to mine

Tom

Tom

post #11 of 11 Old Apr 11th, 2006, 9:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Tom, be sure to send the Wilbers in for rebuild before the 30,000 mile mark.
Keep the warranty coverage on the shocks.

shoot that's not good, looks like that will put me down in middle of season this summer!

Thanks for that info!

Tom

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in