New '05, How much O.T.D.?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:54 am Thread Starter

Question New '05, How much O.T.D.??

Hey guys,

I have been lurking for a while and I have to say this is an awesome site with a great group of people and large knowledge base. On that note, I would love your input!

I have been considering the purchase of an LT for my two up riding and now seems like the right time, especially with the 4.9% offered by the dealer.

The dealer has a 2005 LT in stock loaded with the extras with a MSRP of $23,155. I know I should be able to talk them down on this, but not sure how much. I am going to have to finance if I buy new or used and figured why not buy new and get the good rate. From your experience how much room does a dealer have to play with on a new '05 LT?

Thanks,

-Ekim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 11:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim
Hey guys,

I have been lurking for a while and I have to say this is an awesome site with a great group of people and large knowledge base. On that note, I would love your input!

I have been considering the purchase of an LT for my two up riding and now seems like the right time, especially with the 4.9% offered by the dealer.

The dealer has a 2005 LT in stock loaded with the extras with a MSRP of $23,155. I know I should be able to talk them down on this, but not sure how much. I am going to have to finance if I buy new or used and figured why not buy new and get the good rate. From your experience how much room does a dealer have to play with on a new '05 LT?

Thanks,

-Ekim
An '05 with that MSRP, correct? Not an '06?

That seems like a lot. My '05, purchased new in September, was $19,500 plus T&T. The MSRP was $20,495.

Of course, the '05 you are looking at may have things mine doesn't. Extra-cost options on mine were the convenience package, CD changer, heated seats, and destination.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 11:34 am

Who is the dealer? Does it have GPS? When did they take delivery? If they have been sitting on the bike for a long time they would have probably more than if they have just recieved the bike recently. If they got it recently they probably got some incentive from BMW. Either way the best way to determine is start making some call arounf the country to check on deals. I like to support the local dealers but make your best deal elsewhere and take it to them to match it. Check Chicago Harley/BMW. Is BMW offering any special incentives soon, financing, ect.?

post #4 of 28 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 11:54 am

My dealer in Charlotte, NC has a NEW '05 on the floor marked down to $18,995
http://www.bmw-ducati.com/new_vehicl...102&pov=300516

With Tax and tags is should still be under $20K ! They are a great dealer. The owner is Mark. May want to give him a call !

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #5 of 28 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 11:57 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

Quote:
An '05 with that MSRP, correct? Not an '06?

That seems like a lot. My '05, purchased new in September, was $19,500 plus T&T. The MSRP was $20,495.

Of course, the '05 you are looking at may have things mine doesn't. Extra-cost options on mine were the convenience package, CD changer, heated seats, and destination.
It is an '05 and has the same options you have plus under lighting, central locking and some other stuff...the lady I talked to was the receptionist and I think she was just rattling stuff off a list. I plan to swing down after work tomorrow and talk to a sales guy.

Quote:
Who is the dealer? Does it have GPS? When did they take delivery? If they have been sitting on the bike for a long time they would have probably more than if they have just recieved the bike recently. If they got it recently they probably got some incentive from BMW. Either way the best way to determine is start making some call arounf the country to check on deals. I like to support the local dealers but make your best deal elsewhere and take it to them to match it. Check Chicago Harley/BMW. Is BMW offering any special incentives soon, financing, ect.?
The dealer is "Bob's BMW" in Jessup, MD. I have heard good things about them here locally. It does not have GPS to my knowledge. I'm not sure when they took delivery since I really only spoke to a receptionist since the sales guys were tied up. I am going to take your suggestion and see what kind of deal I can get via the phone and take it to them. BMW is offering 4.9% on new '05 LT's and that is what I was hoping to take advatage of. I am just trying to figure out what is a good price for me to offer them

-Ekim
post #6 of 28 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 12:59 pm

Quote:
It is an '05 and has the same options you have plus under lighting, central locking and some other stuff...the lady I talked to was the receptionist and I think she was just rattling stuff off a list. I plan to swing down after work tomorrow and talk to a sales guy...
The Convenience Package is the lighting, central locking, anti-theft system.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 28 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 1:09 pm
TMH

I should figure that you have already checked out the main BMW site, but I just did and saw this:

"This March 1st through May 2nd, 2006, you can get 4.9% financing on select 2005 and 2004 model year bikes, and start the riding season with that BMW you've been lusting after. And that's not all. All of these great machines also have manufacturer-to-dealer incentives. And a select few replace the low financing with even stronger incentives. To find out more, call or drop by your local BMW Motorrad USA dealer."

And the '05 K1200LT is included in the listing of bikes this is applicable to. So look for incentives!

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #8 of 28 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 1:11 pm

IMHO - You are very fortunate to have a dealership like Bob's in your vicinity. I would gladly pay more for the bike in exchange for their service, parts, accessories and knowledge. Far too many BMW dealerships have next to none of the above !!
I make a point of stopping in to Bob's at least once a year because I know that I will nearly always be able to find what I desire and they always manage to "fit me in" for service work ----- and I travel 2500 miles for that .
post #9 of 28 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 1:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
The Convenience Package is the lighting, central locking, anti-theft system
Thanks...lot to learn I guess

__________________________________________________ ______________

I have called around to a couple of other shops and it looks like I should be able to get it out the door for less than 20K.

It is good to hear yet another good review of Bob's. Where do you ride from jorawro?

I stopped in there one weekend just to browes and they were very helpful. I plan on sitting down with a sales guy tomorrow and see what I can walk away with. I will be sure to ask what the other "incintives" are. Bob is offering the 4.9% plus $1000 "Bob Bucks" which can be used on accessories!

-Ekim
post #10 of 28 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 7:03 pm

aug 2005 20,095 out the door 6 % tax, title,plate for 1 1/2 years...should be able to get one for less than that .
post #11 of 28 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 7:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSinNC
My dealer in Charlotte, NC has a NEW '05 on the floor marked down to $18,995
http://www.bmw-ducati.com/new_vehicl...102&pov=300516

With Tax and tags is should still be under $20K ! They are a great dealer. The owner is Mark. May want to give him a call !
The Daytona dealer has always listed the 05 LTs (without any options) at $18,660 http://www.bmwcyclesdaytona.com/newm...travel/k1200lt And if you go to the BMW webpage http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/financ...e=FL&x=12&y=14 and go through the finance page to any idea of possible payments they show the price of the 06 LTs as 18,860 even though on the LT page they show the 06 at $21,000 Makes me wonder...
post #12 of 28 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 8:20 pm

It is good to hear yet another good review of Bob's. Where do you ride from jorawro?
Southern Alberta, but I have friends and family in Upstate New York. And they think I'm nuts for riding from there to Jessup but then they don't ride LT's . Heck, anything under a thousand miles is a short outing isn't it!!
post #13 of 28 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 4:33 am

This place has two 05s to choose from:
http://www.bluemooncycle.com/bikes_saleSpecials.htm
post #14 of 28 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 4:38 am

Go to Rockville Harley/BMW and get a "shopping price." Have Bob's match it or better it. If there are '05's to be had from BMW you should be able to get an '05 with GPS and the intercom for less than 23K. Check pricing on BMW's websight and go from there.
post #15 of 28 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 4:41 am

Also call Hermy's BMW in port Clinton, PA. Ask to speak to Herman the owner and ask for his best price. I travel 100 miles to get great service there. Great small town dealer.
post #16 of 28 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 5:08 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info! I like going into a dealer armed and dangerous!

"Heck, anything under a thousand miles is a short outing isn't it!!"
When I hear comments like this, I get very excited about purchasing an LT!

I'm looking forward to a test ride. I have not ridden anything this large before, but from what I have read on this forum it doesnt show its weight.

I love checking out possible new toys!

-Ekim
post #17 of 28 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 5:17 am Thread Starter

Question

I was also curious if anyone knows how much BMW charges for these accessories:

Convenience package:
- Central locking system
- Ground lighting
- Anti-theft alarm package
Lighted top case rack with integral brake light
Soft touch seat
Heated seats and back rest
High windshield
6-disc CD changer
Black seat
Chrome adjustable passenger footrest

These are the accessories added to the LT I am looking at and wanted to see how much they actually add to the list price. Just loading up on ammo

-Ekim
post #18 of 28 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 5:19 am

Quote:
Thanks for all the info! I like going into a dealer armed and dangerous!

"Heck, anything under a thousand miles is a short outing isn't it!!"
When I hear comments like this, I get very excited about purchasing an LT!

I'm looking forward to a test ride. I have not ridden anything this large before, but from what I have read on this forum it doesnt show its weight.

I love checking out possible new toys!

-Ekim
Good Luck! Based on what seems to be a lot of '05 LT's out there you should certainly be able to get out the door ... tax, tags & title for $20K or less. But if Bob's is where you plan on going for service and he will be "your" dealer I would not split hair over a few hunderd $$'s. He's going to be there when you need him.

Ed Apelian

post #19 of 28 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 5:30 am

Quote:
I was also curious if anyone knows how much BMW charges for these accessories:

Convenience package:
- Central locking system
- Ground lighting
Lighted top case rack with integral brake light
Soft touch seat
Heated seats and back rest
High windshield
6-disc CD changer
Black seat
Chrome adjustable passenger footrest

These are the accessories added to the LT I am looking at and wanted to see how much they actually add to the list price. Just loading up on ammo

-Ekim
Convenience package:
- Central locking system
- Ground lighting
Lighted top case rack with integral brake light This was standard for '05
Soft touch seat
Heated seats and back rest Also Standard for '05
High windshield again I believe the '05's came with either the tall or Euro shield standard ... do not think this was an extra cost
6-disc CD changer Standard for '05
Black seat '05's came with either a black or gray seat ... not an option
Chrome adjustable passenger footrest about $495 list

Ed Apelian

post #20 of 28 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 5:39 am Thread Starter

Hummm.....Wonder why the large price tag then? I'm sure all will become clear as mud when I visit Bob's this afternoon.
post #21 of 28 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 7:23 am

By no means am I trying to talk you out of buying the LT, it is a great bike and you will enjoy it for years to come.

However...

I'm on my second LT, my second RT and have also owned a KRS and R-R (as well as a few Japanese transports) and only one of those BMWs I bought new. The depreciation on a new bike (just like a new car) is massive, and if you are willing to take a little bit more risk, you can save a lot of money buying used. Check the classifieds here on this list, or ibmwr.org classifieds.

Of course, if you're one of those guys who buys a bike and keeps it forever then it's a moot point. Me, I tend to flip 'em pretty often.

For instance, when I was looking for my bike (bought last month) there was one on this board for sale, a nice 2002 LTC with mid-teens mileage and nice options for (I think) around 12K. Located in Western NC. I ended up buying a LTS with less miles for less money that was closer to me. Buying a bike in Fall or Winter is the best time.

It may make the difference between financing and paying cash, I don't know your exact situation.

Just trying to help.

As for the new bike, the one new one that I bought (the KRS) I snagged some BMW incentives and was able to get a few hundred off of the list price, but my local dealer (Raleigh) was not enthusiastic about the discounting.

Michael

Life is too short to compromise on your toys.

Current collection:

'08 R1200GS Namabia Orange
'08 335 Coupe
'11 535 Sedan (on order)
post #22 of 28 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 8:25 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Michael. I do plan on the LT being my last bike for many years to come (the wife too )...at least for two up riding. I plan on getting a ZX636 for the twisties and track which I will most likely buy used. From what I have read on this forum I will not regret owning this fine touring machine!
post #23 of 28 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 8:38 am

When I bought mine on 5 July 2005, Top case rack, 6 disc CD changer, soft touch seat, tall windshield, adjustable passengers footrest, were options with a number by them on the sheet. Trying to find one with out a CD changer was impossible. In May of' '05 there was a price increase of $990. Some dealers got new price stickers and jacked the price on bikes they had in stock at the time. Some did not. That may be why there is a difference in price paid by those this last summer.

Find a dealers (not consumers) NADA pricing guide and see what the resale difference is between an'05 and '06. You should be able to get that difference off the bike. If they say they are giving you a deal with financing, then break out the calculator. most of the time $2K off at 7.9% is better than full ticket at 4.9%. I'm thinking the banner at Capitol One, when I paid my credit card yesterday, was showing as low as 5.59% for new vehicle. One of the few places that will put a motorcycle into the vehicle rates.

Oh yea, I paid less than 20K before taxes. I did not have the soft touch seat or tall windscreen. They did add the rack and footrest at dealer which cost me an extra $160 labor. They also added the 600 mile service into that price. This dealer (on the other side of the country from you) also had not added the extra $990 profit.

One more thing, you said the LT does not show it's weight. Don't under estimate that when you come to a stop. In fact read all the "I dropped mine" threads for some pointers.

Good Luck,
Rick
post #24 of 28 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 9:04 am Thread Starter

Rick,

I have been reading all the threads about dropping the bike at low speeds and I am aware it is something I have to watch for. I might test ride it and not even like it! Yeah Right!

-Ekim
post #25 of 28 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 9:35 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

On my 05 bought in 04 - the 6-disc Cd was 420, the convienience group was some cost (can't remember), black seat was a free option, it came with no top case rack. MSRP was $18,something, before the options. They all came with the Euro sheild as STD. So what I can gather is there really is no STD as they keep changing things. Oh yeah don't forget to ask about the tool kit that is NOT there anymore.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #26 of 28 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh yeah don't forget to ask about the tool kit that is NOT there anymore
What would I do without this site! You guys think of it all!
post #27 of 28 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
On my 05 bought in 04 - the 6-disc Cd was 420, the convienience group was some cost (can't remember), black seat was a free option, it came with no top case rack. MSRP was $18,something, before the options. They all came with the Euro sheild as STD. So what I can gather is there really is no STD as they keep changing things. Oh yeah don't forget to ask about the tool kit that is NOT there anymore.
Depending on when the 'o5 was manufactured it may or may not have the "big" tool kit. The early '05's did .... later did not.

As one person put it .... there really is no "standard" LT. BMW does some strange things throughout the model years.

Regardless .... at this point the bargaining power for a leftover '05 should be good !

I agree with the comment about buying used .... I just bought a pristine (and I mean spotless) 2005 LT loaded with ALL the stuff mentioned except for the GPS for a lot less than $18K and it had only 11K miles on it and new tires.

Good luck and bargain away!

Ed Apelian

post #28 of 28 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 12:32 pm

Look around at used.....I bought a "used" 05 last july for $16,500. It only had 900 miles on it and has the convienience package. It had never even been wet! The owner kept it dusted off and covered in his garage! Heck...I put another 900 miles on it the first week I owned it....

If its got tits or an engine you're gonna have trouble with it

05 Graphite K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in