Does the bottom drop out in 2007? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 6:31 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
drifter36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Rockaway Borough, NJ, USA
Posts: 306
Does the bottom drop out in 2007?

Question for the group,
I've been reading with much interest, the thread on the 07 LT redesign. I'm also ready to make the jump to the new version if it looks worthy. But what has been the experience of this group when a truly new redesign hits the street? Does the trade-in or resale value plummet on the current model? I wasn't riding BMW when the 1100 became the 1200 so I was curious about your thoughts.

Bob

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
drifter36 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 7:00 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: , ,
Posts: 558
BMW K bikes don't have a great resale from what I have read. When a new LT comes along I doubt it will affect it much unless it seems so good that current owners switch in big numbers. It doesn't matter to me as I will be keeping my LT for a long time I expect. At least that is until my dealer gives up on BMW-I have a feeling that may not be long.
ATFLT is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 7:49 am
Bouncer
 
eljeffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Allen, TX, USA
Posts: 9,315
An interesting thing has happened since BMW introduced the K1200S/R and now the new GT showing up. The David Robb inspired angular designs have received very mixed views. As a result, the 02-04 K1200RS and GTs have actually had great resale values of late.

FWIW, the redesigned LT will come out as a 2008 model in late 2007.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

__________________
El Jeffe
Plano, TX
'06 K1200GT Crystal Grey
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

__________________

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eljeffe is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 7:54 am
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter36
But what has been the experience of this group when a truly new redesign hits the street? Does the trade-in or resale value plummet on the current model?
Don't forget...there will be many that aren't ready to jump ship, and the older models remain desirable to that crowd. I'm not too concerned. The two things I don't even think about when buying bikes are 1) resale value, and 2) fuel economy. Then again...I'm an idiot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ATFLT
BMW K bikes don't have a great resale from what I have read.
I respectfully disagree. I am quite satisfied with the current resale value of my '02 with near 40K on the clock.
messenger13 is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 8:10 am
Bouncer
 
eljeffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Allen, TX, USA
Posts: 9,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I respectfully disagree. I am quite satisfied with the current resale value of my '02 with near 40K on the clock.
Yeah, but resale on the '02 with 3K on the clock would just suck. LOL!!!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

__________________
El Jeffe
Plano, TX
'06 K1200GT Crystal Grey
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

__________________

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eljeffe is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 9:19 am
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter36
Question for the group,
I've been reading with much interest, the thread on the 07 LT redesign. I'm also ready to make the jump to the new version if it looks worthy. But what has been the experience of this group when a truly new redesign hits the street? Does the trade-in or resale value plummet on the current model? I wasn't riding BMW when the 1100 became the 1200 so I was curious about your thoughts.

Bob
you mean the resale would plummet even more than it does now? yikes. my wallet is still smarting from buying new in '03.

i think the size of the hit we take will hinge on how revolutionary the new LT is. if it is a major redesign then we will take a big hit on resale. check out what happened to GL1200 resale values when the GL1500 came out. i think they prolly got hit by at least 20 percent reductions.

personally, i plan to keep my LT for the foreseeable future as an escape pod for myself and the missus. it really is a great bike for that. i'll reserve my second bike for the cutting edge performance advances.
KBandit is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 9:31 am
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,316
I did not buy it to resell it. I bought it to ride. When I am done wiith the bike it will be worth whatever the market will bear. It is not an investment, it is a pleasure toy
rixchard is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:00 am
Senior Member
 
dshealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dandridge (Near Knoxville), TN, USA
Posts: 12,165
Wink

Well, if I ever get my home sold and move to the NC/TN area I MAY be looking for another LT. If I put on a selfish/greedy hat, this could work in my favor.

I was very happy with the LT as it exists now, would be again.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
dshealey is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:54 am
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixchard
I did not buy it to resell it. I bought it to ride. When I am done wiith the bike it will be worth whatever the market will bear. It is not an investment, it is a pleasure toy

OH GRASSHOPPER, YOU SPEAK THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!
hoodoodrum is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 12:32 pm
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 47
I only paid $6500 for a 2000 LT with 45k miles, and that was 2 years ago. The guy before me left it outside a lot, so it looks weathered, but it runs perfectly. I can't imagine that the value on mine will drop much. I plan to keep it a long time anyway. Already have 73K miles on it and no problems at all. I suspect I could sell it for the same price I paid for it. That's decent resale .

Nathan
nswenson is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 5:11 pm
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 713
drifter36, The price on the current model ie; 05-06 will hold up fine, as the as the 01-04's have. There are allot of people who are waiting for some 05's to hit the used market, plus there probably are allot like me who are not interested in the new model as we prefer the smoothness of the current motor as to the buzziness of the the new motor..Its minor but was there in the demo K/S at my dealers... As has been stated already, some of us are not interested in a change...........Regards Pete
petepeterson is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 5:17 pm
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
drifter36, The price on the current model ie; 05-06 will hold up fine, as the as the 01-04's have. There are allot of people who are waiting for some 05's to hit the used market, plus there probably are allot like me who are not interested in the new model as we prefer the smoothness of the current motor as to the buzziness of the the new motor..Its minor but was there in the demo K/S at my dealers... As has been stated already, some of us are not interested in a change...........Regards Pete
hey pete ... i hate to tell you this but my '03 has depreciated by more than 50 percent since i bought it new. i reckon it lost a good 25 percent the moment i rolled it out of the showroom.
KBandit is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 5:24 pm
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7
sale and resale

A couple of months ago, I bought a 2000 LT with about 26k... paid 8400.

For the same money I couold have bought a new Concours or any of a number of Honda's etc and even I think a KIA Rio. when a 5-6 year old bike can cost more than a new car, that strikes me as pretty good resale.
Johnfischer23 is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 5:46 pm
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfischer23
A couple of months ago, I bought a 2000 LT with about 26k... paid 8400.

For the same money I couold have bought a new Concours or any of a number of Honda's etc and even I think a KIA Rio. when a 5-6 year old bike can cost more than a new car, that strikes me as pretty good resale.
as long as you don't buy one new ...
KBandit is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 6:02 pm
Senior Member
 
dshealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dandridge (Near Knoxville), TN, USA
Posts: 12,165
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfischer23
A couple of months ago, I bought a 2000 LT with about 26k... paid 8400.

For the same money I couold have bought a new Concours or any of a number of Honda's etc and even I think a KIA Rio. when a 5-6 year old bike can cost more than a new car, that strikes me as pretty good resale.
Yeah, but then you would be stuck with a new Concours or any of a number of Honda's etc and even a KIA Rio, and STILL not have an LT!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
dshealey is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 6:21 pm
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,905
Angry

I can't actually believe some people are upset at the depreciation of a motorcycle. What?! Is this thing supposed to APPRECIATE! And how does one put a value on the enjoyment out of a bike? A K1200LT none-the-less.

I paid $18,900 for my '02 @ 0.9% interest, and I'm still happy as a clam with it. And approx. 24 months from now, I'll be signing on the same dotted line for ANOTHER BRAND NEW ONE!

Some of you guys just might want to bail out now while the gettin's good and go buy yourself a Wing, or a Harley! Fricken POSERS!!!
messenger13 is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 7:10 pm
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 279
Thumbs up Geesh Joe... stub your toe?

I care about re-sale value too Joe... don't hate me.

Playing devil's advocate:
No joke... I change bikes a lot because I love them so much; I'm curious you see and that's part of the hobby for me.

Motorcycles are kinda like women, I want to try so many of them out but my wife says "no"... so I do the next best thing and become a bike whore. I've had approximately 16 bikes in less then 3 years. The LT is the best of the bunch in most ways, but I would have never known that unless I tried a few out before landing on it. I've tried as many internet forums as well and this one is the best so far too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I can't actually believe some people are upset at the depreciation of a motorcycle. What?! Is this thing supposed to APPRECIATE! And how does one put a value on the enjoyment out of a bike? A K1200LT none-the-less.

I paid $18,900 for my '02 @ 0.9% interest, and I'm still happy as a clam with it. And approx. 24 months from now, I'll be signing on the same dotted line for ANOTHER BRAND NEW ONE!

Some of you guys just might want to bail out now while the gettin's good and go buy yourself a Wing, or a Harley! Fricken POSERS!!!
Jerrod Maguire is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:00 pm
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,905
Nope...no toe-stubbing here. You just have to realize that there's a price to pay for your hobby. As for the LT's horrific depreciation...I just don't see it. My '02 is worth . . . er . . . maybe 10 to 11K today. That's more than 50% of what I paid. Go price any other 2002 bike out there. I'll betcha they're worth 50% or less than what the original selling price was in 2002. Especially if they have any miles on them at all. And that's another variable that this crowd soon forgets. Face it Beemer boys. We RIDE the snot out of these things compared to most other bikes. And when a vehicle has miles on the clock, it depreciates. It's as simple as that.
messenger13 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bottom Mainbeam headlight loose bikesnumbnuts K1200LT 2 Aug 14th, 2006 8:54 pm
First Drop mikey K1200LT 1 Nov 25th, 2005 6:16 pm
New Bottom Trunk/Latch is different rattso K1200LT 0 Nov 9th, 2005 8:01 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome