Whacked (maybe) by dealer - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 1:08 pm Thread Starter

Whacked (maybe) by dealer

I bought a 99 K1200LT from a local dealer the end of November. It had 23,000 miles on it and he said that it had undergone the 24,000 maintenance so it was good to go. I managed to put a couple hundred miles on it (Boston has winter) and fixed a few things on it. The cruise had a bad microswitch on the throttle rail, and the headlight low beam was dead so I put in a HID. The rear end was making more noise than it should so I checked it to see what the trouble might be. There was no oil (3 drops) in the final drive! That sucker had to have been mighty hot. The plugs were a little tough to get off (more torque required than typically needed). I now have to argue with the dealer over what gets fixed and who pays for it. I should have checked it sooner, but I took the dealer at his word. I guess maybe the tech might have forgotten to put in the oil; who knows how long it had been ridden that way. There is no way that it just leaked out undetected. It would have been on the garage floor and on the tire and rim. Could one of you bright lads tell me what things I need to worry about? I am real concerned about taking any long distance trips unless I replace the whole final drive, but that may be overkill.

I will keep you posted on the dealer response. At the moment I see no reason to start slamming him which is why I didn't give his name yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 2:06 pm
TMH

I almost had the same thing happen after my first dealer service on the RT-P. I get home from a 150 mile ride, park the bike, and go into the house. Need to check something so I go back outside and see fluid on the rear rim. I reach underneath the final drive and find that the drain plug was only finger tight! Disaster barely averted (seems I had only lost a couple of tablespoons of lube).

If you can get past the "it wasn't our fault, it was full when serviced", then the next dealer response on this (big ticket) item will probably be "if it hasn't failed, it will be O.K." I would try to turn that around by asking them to prove that damage had not occurred which will result in pre-mature failure. Then as a final bargain, I would at least try to get them to agree to an "extension" of the warranty on anything which goes out in the final drive for the next, say, 2 years/24k miles. If they are so sure that "nothing will have gotten damaged" by this incident, then they shouldn't have an issue giving you this extension IN WRITING. Won't probably apply at any other dealer, but at least you will have some protection around your home.

Good luck,
Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 2:42 pm

if you paid $1000 for the bike i'd say you are on your own. if, however, as i suspect, you paid fair market value to a BMW dealer... they should stand behind the company name and the obvious fact that the 24k job was very incomplete. ask for the paperwork on the 24k job. they log in all service to the bmw computer

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 4:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
if you paid $1000 for the bike i'd say you are on your own.

Yeah, I wish.

The dealer called me from Daytona. He's racing there. He said bring it in (to their Boston dealership) and they'd see what they could do. Stay tuned.
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 5:43 am Thread Starter

Good News. The dealer, Dunbar Euro Sports in Brockton, MA agreed to fix the rear end. The gears were scored so he repalaced all of it at no cost. I am very pleased and relieved. He is a fine fellow and very fair.

Now I am ready to ride! All I need is a little more heat!
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 5:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbob
Good News. The dealer, Dunbar Euro Sports in Brockton, MA agreed to fix the rear end. The gears were scored so he repalaced all of it at no cost. I am very pleased and relieved. He is a fine fellow and very fair.

Gerbings will solve the heat issue <g>

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 6:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbob

Excellent news -- glad for you.

The same thing happened to me. I recently discovered my final drive fill plug was missing. Dealer does all the service, and it would have been checked at 600 miles (which I had done at 1200 miles). Got 200 miles from home and had no gear oil. Replaced the oil and drove it home, where the dealer is fixing it at his (or BMW's...) cost. No questions asked -- they jumped right up and said "it's our fault, we'll fix it, and we're sorry for the inconvenience."

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 13th, 2006, 12:44 pm

I believe you, Howard, elsewhere had a thread about changing the oil yourself. This example that the this thread describes is another great argument for doing it yourself. Assuming, of course, that you are the careful type and will check and double-check that you have filled up with oil, put on the fill cap, etc. If you're not, then, uh, maybe you're better off letting the dealership do it and that way any screw-ups are their responsibility.

Michael

Life is too short to compromise on your toys.

Current collection:

'08 R1200GS Namabia Orange
'08 335 Coupe
'11 535 Sedan (on order)
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 13th, 2006, 1:54 pm

We have a dealer area for thumbs up and thumbs down on dealers.

Let us know how they do.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in