Do you baby it (LT) or ride the pi$$ out of it? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

Cool Do you baby it (LT) or ride the pi$$ out of it?

It's now March 8th and I'm SICK of WINTER crap. There is still some salt on the roads and plenty of loose junk to go around. I am debating whether to get that dang bike out and ride it despite the conditions just because I can't stand seeing it sit any longer.

I guess the real reason we own these bikes is to "RIDE EM"!!!!!! Then again, I don't want salt dust and grime all over the bike as it is such a nice bike. Furthermore, the salt dust makes me nervous under the hood, but again, I bought it to ride.

What do all of you Northerners do? Ride it or keep it shiny in the garage until the beautiful days arrive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 1:26 pm

31 degress in central Indiana yesterday and so I only put 200 miles on mine. Ride it like you stole it!!!!!!!!!!

Earl J. Reber

2005 K1200LT Ocean Metalic Blue
1998 Honda Shadow Aero
1949 Cessna 195
1966 Citabria 7ECA
post #3 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 1:44 pm

It only comes alive when it's moving.

Sitting still - it's a big assed, expensive paper weight. I can see those at a museum (or the local 'biker bar')

"Ride it like you mean it"

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 1:55 pm
TMH

That's the beauty of multiple bikes. I've got the RT-P "beater" which I ride every day regardless of weather (although I don't have to worry about road salt.) Don't really care if I am "using that bike up" as it is serving its purpose to me as a relatively inexpensive commuter which is reliable and still a blast to ride.

The other "babies" only come out when it is nicer out...

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #5 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 2:09 pm

Ride!

I put 140 miles on the Ninja yesterday. Some salt and sand still on the roads. Had to take it a little easier than I would've liked. But just the same . . . my enjoyment comes from the ride. Not looking at them in the garage. I'll take riding a dirty bike anyday over a spotless one PARKED!
post #6 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 2:17 pm

Exclamation

I have been riding mine in all types of weather, just not snow. They use salt on our roads, quite liberally too. salt and metal (aluminum especially) do not mix. I find if I wash the bike often, a rinse will not do - must be a real wash job to remove the salt. Even though I had a "just good" regime of washing I noticed some oxidization on the bottom of the trailing arm to the rear. I was thinking that attacking the cancerous growth with a dremel tool might do more damage than good. The wire wheel may remove any protective coating that is presently left.

does anyone have a good means of removing this white build-up?

Don
2001 K1200LT "Blue Bomber"
Vancouver Island, BC
post #7 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 3:28 pm

Ride! Baby! Ride! The guys at work are always making fun of my filthy, dirty beautiful LT. Rain spots, mud, salt, grime, all over. My response... it's not a Harley, it's made to ride not for show. Grab your helmet and lets go! <friend w/Harley> NO NO NO. I don't want to get my bike dirty, it takes all day to clean it. LOL... I gave ole Black Beauty a bath on Sunday with a couple of buckets of water... the hose is still frozen into the ground under the snow.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #8 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 4:19 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
My '02 gets washed a couple times a year, maybe. I bought it to ride. Note that my '99 was ridden year-round in the UK and did start to show some oxidation of the aluminum parts after a couple of years that did affect the resale value. But still I'd rather ride than worry. Some folks may feel different, but they can do whatever they want with their bike, just as I do.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 7:37 pm

HooDoo:

Have you ever owned any Harley's? You sound like that typical HD owner. I know, I used to be one up until 1998. At any rate, I'm on my 4th LT. I have ridden them year round here. Mind you, not on a regular basis mid winter but I do ride all year. Only requirement for winter riding for me is clear, dry roads. Salt dust, never been a problem.

I was out yesterday, high of 37, did 300 miles. Out today, 53 degrees, did 100 miles. How in the heck can you sit there on a day like today and not ride?

Go for a ride, come home, rinse it off, park it. Don't worry.

Dick
post #10 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 7:48 pm

You want to hear some real whining? While you "southerners" are wondering if you should get your bike dirty, I get to look at two feet of snow and below freezing temperatures and there's a good chance I won't be riding until mid April. I think I deserve a little sympathy.

Impatiently waiting for spring in Manitoba,
Wilson.
post #11 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 8:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Maybe you could just put off-road tires on this?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 8:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02lt
You want to hear some real whining? While you "southerners" are wondering if you should get your bike dirty, I get to look at two feet of snow and below freezing temperatures and there's a good chance I won't be riding until mid April. I think I deserve a little sympathy.

Impatiently waiting for spring in Manitoba,
Wilson.
Southern Sask reporting .... saw a bike out today! Way too much gravel on the streets yet for me.
post #13 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 8:32 pm

that's why you need to have a peice of shit bike like a Harley so you can ride it in the winter - it will end up falling apart just as fast as the rust will eat it away. LOL! Naw really I love my lt so much I wouldn't ride it, I guess it's not a big deal if your willing to put the time in to clean all the crap off of it when your done. I'm lucky I live in AZ there really is no down season for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
It's now March 8th and I'm SICK of WINTER crap. There is still some salt on the roads and plenty of loose junk to go around. I am debating whether to get that dang bike out and ride it despite the conditions just because I can't stand seeing it sit any longer.

I guess the real reason we own these bikes is to "RIDE EM"!!!!!! Then again, I don't want salt dust and grime all over the bike as it is such a nice bike. Furthermore, the salt dust makes me nervous under the hood, but again, I bought it to ride.

What do all of you Northerners do? Ride it or keep it shiny in the garage until the beautiful days arrive?

TBob
09 R1200 GSA

'03 LT Impala Brown - FOR SALE
'01 KTM 520 EXC

Interested in a Kontour seat? PM me I would be happy to share my Kontour experience.
post #14 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 9:11 pm

Ride Vermont

I took the r90/6
http://home.earthlink.net/~cmiddleton01/bmwairheads/
out for a ride a couple of days ago. Enough snow melted in the drive to allow me to get back up. The LT is way too heavy for snow riding, a little slip and down she goes, and then there's no footing to pick her back up again.
Temps in the low 30's but main roads were clear. Full Gerbings keep thing toasty.
Remember the BMWMOA national rally is in VT this year, and don't worry the snow will be melted by then
post #15 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

I think we have some hard core LT riders here. Am impressed!! I am gonna let it rain for a day to wash the roads, but if it dries out this weekend, the LT is going to run.
post #16 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:28 pm

RIDE IT. I had a business trip schedule this week and I saw the weather was going to be above 30 and no snow. I rode it to the hotel this morning. The ride was about 100 miles. Found myself briefly hitting 100 at one point decided I better put the cruise on and enjoy the ride. Oh what a feeling!

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #17 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:47 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
I rode mine today!!!! Although I only went about 10 miles to the dealer for my annual and 12k tune... But hey, I was out there... Ride it hard, put it away dirty!!!

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #18 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

[QUOTE=meese]My '02 gets washed a couple times a year, maybe. I bought it to ride.QUOTE]

Really? I think I was honored to have your steed get one of those rare wash jobs in my driveway.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #19 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:21 pm

Bought mine in May 2002, June rode it to Alaska in a pack with 6 guys. By the time I got back the bike looked like it was at least 10 years old.

Ya, OK. First thing I did was get it repainted.

I ride it hard though. Not too often I ride it below 6000 RPM not mater what gear

Ed Bruce
post #20 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:41 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
Really? I think I was honored to have your steed get one of those rare wash jobs in my driveway.
They made me wash it, honest. Actually, the next time it gets washed may also be at your place. I'm trying to decide if I want to change fluids before I come up, or maybe dip into your Amsoil barrel again.

In the mean time, I'm trying to find a corporate apartment near Hillsboro as 4-5 weeks of hotels gets pretty pricey.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #21 of 27 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 3:54 am

Do i baby my LT??
U got to be kidding.
After 10 years of riding sports bike and sports tourers and scraping pegs and finding rev limiters and going nuts and paying a small fortune for my bike and trading in to incredible sports tourers to own my LT theres now way im going to give it an easy life.
I enjoy scraping pegs on the LT, and even find the rev limiter when road conditions permit.

I enjoy wringing the LT by its neck and have no intentions of taking it easy with it.

It got its first bath about 6 weeks ago. by that stage i had owned it for about 10 months, but i hardly get a chance to ride it though.

Pitty.
post #22 of 27 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 7:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
Mine is in garage allright, but not shiny but pretty much naked. Spring is coming too fast... all my farkle projects are not done yet. Some parts are still on the way (C'mon Raffy...) And I have spent most all weekends in the garage so that kids already start calling me uncle.

I got the most challenging job done (the famous power seat height adjuster) but I'm afraid the the riding season will start before my baby is back together...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #23 of 27 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 1:00 pm

I ride the doo doo out of mine every day
post #24 of 27 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 7:34 pm

DAMN!! Are you guys telling me I was suppose to wash this thing??? Your kidding right??

As far as how or when I ride it, well rain don't hurt, you only get wet once...
I don't think I've had it over 6,000rpm more than a couple of times, just never in a hurry ..............Regards Pete
post #25 of 27 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 2:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
DAMN!! Are you guys telling me I was suppose to wash this thing??? Your kidding right??

As far as how or when I ride it, well rain don't hurt, you only get wet once...
I don't think I've had it over 6,000rpm more than a couple of times, just never in a hurry ..............Regards Pete

What??? Never had it over 6 grand!!!!!

C'mon, there is still a few thousand rpm left in the engine ....

GIVE IT SOME

post #26 of 27 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:21 am
kip

ride

ride it
get it dirty
ride it some more
usually in my limited time i can either wash it or ride it
usually i ride it
champagne color hardly shows any dirt

yesterday however i had the chance to ride it AND wash it

i believe it looks better rolling down the road dirty than sitting still clean

kip
99 LT
post #27 of 27 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 5:50 pm

Ride It

Didn't see this thread until today because I was out riding along with other things.

Thurs-Fri it was about 50 here Minneapolis, still a fair amount of sand on the roads so it's careful driving time. But I did claim honors here at work being the first to show up on a cycle to work this year.

Alas ---- today we've got about 8 inches of lovely white snow on the ground. Too bad I couldn't go skiing today.

Harv

Harvey Burt
Minneapolis, MN
'03 (new on 7/31/2004) LTC Anthracite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in