Dead Bat Man! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 1:07 am Thread Starter

Dead Bat Man!

Well.
It finally happened.
I strode confidently, with my grocery shopping list in hand, to my trusty stead. Muuuuum, mid 70sF around three in the afternoon, can’t get better than that, if one has to do shopping.

As I approached my LT, I noted that I hadn’t connected my trickle charger.

When I turned the key, nothing. Nothing in the instrument panel. My battery was doing a brick imitation.

I attached my battery charger to the battery, made sure it was on 12 volts instead of 6 (does anything use a 6 volt system any more?).

I let it charge for a few hours while I puttered outside (the orange blossoms should be opening any day now).

The battery was taking a charge, but it would take too long to get it fully charged. So, I open the box containing a new PC680 that arrived here in Dec. Put the Battery Tender Jr on it. When I came back an hour later the Tender LED was green.

For some reason, it takes me almost as long to put the battery hold down top piece back on as it takes me to remove the battery, remove the U shaped battery terminal, install them on the new battery, and place the battery back in the battery holder.

Other than getting the hold down cover on the battery, my biggest problem was that I forgot that mid 70s at 3PM means temp will be much lower at 6:30PM. I should have changed from my Joe Rocket Phoenix to something not full of holes.

Since it had been less than a week since I last rode my bike, I assume I must have left it with the parking lite on. Seems to me, since I never use the parking lite, and it can kill the battery, I should find a nice small 12 volt piezo buzzer and wire it to the parking lite.

Once I get the old battery charged back up, I'll have to find some use for it. I think I have an old electronic keyer (it makes dits and dahs for morse code) that runs on external 12 volts or an internally mounted 9 volt battery.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 4:39 am

Going through batteries is just another wonderful side-benefit to owning a BMW K1200LT.
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 9:23 am
TMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
So, I open the box containing a new PC680 that arrived here in Dec.
What I can't believe is that there is someone else like me out there, who has a brand new Odyssey laying around just waiting for their current battery to die.

Maybe it is a K12LT thing, and I'm just new at it...

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 9:36 am

I have had great luck with my battery. I'm still using the original battery on my 2002. I have as many farkles as the next guy. Fires up for me no problem every time (knock on wood)

Ed Bruce
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:08 am

'What I can't believe is that there is someone else like me out there, who has a brand new Odyssey laying around just waiting for their current battery to die.'

The trick is to have a garage full of BMW's. Everytime one of them needs a new battery the LT's Odyssey is moved to the other, less battery critical, bike and the LT gets the new one. Baby always has a fresh battery with this system.
post #6 of 8 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 1:37 pm

Im with Ed, I have a 2001, original battery, but then again I have been using a trickle charger. I am playing with the idea of purchasing a new battery and wondering if the "gel type" is worth the extra cost.

Any thoughts?

Don
2001 K1200LT "Blue Bomber"
Vancouver Island, BC
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 6:18 pm

Unhappy Dead Bat.

Bob, don't bother "finding another use for it" (the old battery). After being drained that completely dead, it has had it's life shortened. BTDT, on my then brand new '99. Battery only lasted 2 years even though religiously maintained on a Battery Tender. Also, running a weakened battery tends to put more of a strain on the alternator.
post #8 of 8 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:41 pm Thread Starter

"gel type" is worth the extra cost

It is to me. But, I live where it is very dry, and very hot, it is the dry heat thing.
As a result, I have to remember to check fluid levels in a battery every three months. Taking off the battery cover is easy, but, at least for me, getting the thing back on is an exercise in patience.

Plus, batteries don’t last long here.

With a car, I can just go down the road and get a new battery. Can’t do the same thing for my bike. So, I like to have a replacement on hand before it transforms itself into “less than a battery”.

Matter of fact, I replaced my car battery in Jan. I rode down to the auto parts store, bought a sealed battery, put it in the top case, and rode home.

Musing about finding a use for a dead battery, it still looks pretty, just betrays the fact that some Yankees don’t want to throw away anything.

Maybe I’ll just put it on eBay—“Worked last time I used it.” ;-)

Bob 00LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in