LT must be near redesign - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 1:27 pm Thread Starter

Question LT must be near redesign

BMW has either produced or introduced significantly updated models using either the new R1200 or the K1200S motor on most of their line. Anybody have any INTEL on a new LT with possibly the K1200S power? The wait is killing me. The new KGT is very seductive and I am not sure I can hold out much longer!

Jim Andrews
Woodland, MN
2003 K1200 LTE
2014 Honda NC700X DCT
2010 Aspen Classic Pop Up Camper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 1:35 pm
Old Dawg

It will not be based on the K1200S motor... but it will be a new motor

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #3 of 37 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 1:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
It will not be based on the K1200S motor... but it will be a new motor
any more details? sounds intriguing.

it makes sense that they'd go with a diff motor ... something more torquey than a K-S.

post #4 of 37 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 1:58 pm
REO

BMW can tune a motor for torque or horsepower. I can't see them developing a different motor specifically for the LT, not cost efficient. But BMW is BMW, who knows.
post #5 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by REO
BMW can tune a motor for torque or horsepower. I can't see them developing a different motor specifically for the LT, not cost efficient. But BMW is BMW, who knows.
Unlikely. You can only tune a motor so much with a given bore and stroke. For a big heavy bike you need torque. That's typically a long stroke engine and long rods.

For example, our current LT has a bore x stroke of 70.5 mm x 75.0 mm Note the long stroke compared to the bore. Again, long strokes mean lot's of leverage on the crank or "torque"

The bore x stroke of 79 mm x 59 mm for the K1200S would be an unlikely choice with it's short stroke designed to rev high to get max h.p. Hey, who knows though.....Just my 2 cents (you got a quarters worth)

Paul S.
Producer of the K1200LT Service Videos
Maker of the HD Lugage Rack kit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 4:45 am

Paul,

Although 1/2 of me agrees with everything you say, the other half says, "Well, wasn't the LT's motor based on the last RS/GT powerplant?".

So the question becomes...what's easier and more cost-efficient? Increasing the stroke of the new 'S' motor and lowering the redline, or redesigning an entirely new powerplant for the next generation LT? I don't really care which. I'm a buyer either way.
post #7 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 5:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by psayegh
Unlikely. You can only tune a motor so much with a given bore and stroke. For a big heavy bike you need torque. That's typically a long stroke engine and long rods.

For example, our current LT has a bore x stroke of 70.5 mm x 75.0 mm Note the long stroke compared to the bore. Again, long strokes mean lot's of leverage on the crank or "torque"

The bore x stroke of 79 mm x 59 mm for the K1200S would be an unlikely choice with it's short stroke designed to rev high to get max h.p. Hey, who knows though.....Just my 2 cents (you got a quarters worth)
Very true, Depending how much room is between the bottom piston ring and wrist pin and top end bearing. You may be able to simply reposition the those components 10-15 mm and gain more stroke. Ofcoarse the bore may be reduced or not. The increased stroke will increase displacement.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #8 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 7:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by psayegh

Perhaps they could take the new engine and design a head and crank to stroke it to 75mm which would then make it a K1500LT.. (1470cc actually)
post #9 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 8:46 am

Why not just use the new 300 series Magnesium block engine?

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #10 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Very true, Depending how much room is between the bottom piston ring and wrist pin and top end bearing. You may be able to simply reposition the those components 10-15 mm and gain more stroke. Ofcoarse the bore may be reduced or not. The increased stroke will increase displacement.
The pictures and drawings I have seen seem to show very little room to put a longer stroke crankshaft in. The block would likely have to be re-designed to gain enough room for a new crankshaft. Certainly not out of the question though, they could still use most of the other components, just new pistons and rods to go along with the new crank and crankcase for the most part.

I an curious just what the next generation LT will use. For some reason I just don't expect the new K engine, but maybe a fairly major modification of that design.

I certainly do not think they could use that short stroke design in a heavy tourer though. Only so much you can do with tuning, would never be able to tune in enough low end torque increase.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Red face Vacation in Brazil? Look for it!

My spy in DE says the new LT is based on the new K1200 powerplant and we can expect to see mule testing as soon as the snow melts around Berlin. It was also intimated the heavy touring version of the powerplant is already being tested on a K1200S mule in the southern hemisphere with pressure on to get the new LT on the market as an 07 model for next year's Milan show and to dealers by June 2007. Could all be unmitigated BS but so far, none of what he has told me over the past two years about the last five bike releases has been incorrect.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #12 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:52 pm

they might be able to create a torquier version the new K engine if they increase bore sufficiently while going with a more conservative cam profile. the real factor in engine torque is the bore/stroke ratio, not just stroke.

i don't know how much room there is to bore the new K engine, though. it looks pretty compact.

i sorta wish they'd strike a deal with triumph to use the rocket iii engine. similar to what BMW did with the cooper mini.
post #13 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 1:09 pm
Bouncer

Bob,

Your spies are telling you the same thing my spies are telling me. The next-gen LT will be based on the new 1200 engine and will be about 100 pounds lighter than the current LT (including fixed mount sidecases/topcases, and all the doodads).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #14 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 1:13 pm

And the introductory price will be..... $22k....$25k.....or $27K?
post #15 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 1:26 pm

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit
they might be able to create a torquier version the new K engine if they increase bore sufficiently while going with a more conservative cam profile. the real factor in engine torque is the bore/stroke ratio, not just stroke.

i don't know how much room there is to bore the new K engine, though. it looks pretty compact.

i sorta wish they'd strike a deal with triumph to use the rocket iii engine. similar to what BMW did with the cooper mini.
Or John Deere! Pretty much the same thing.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #16 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Wink Flat 4 boxer!

Make it a 1800 flat four boxer - a 2/3rds Wing !

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #17 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 3:02 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
From the Wolf BMW website:

2006 K1200LT
116 BHP @ 8000 rpm
88 ft.lb. @ 5250 rpm
779 lbs. dry

2006 K1200GT
152 BHP @ 9500 rpm
96 ft.lb. @ 9500 rpm
550 lbs. dry

2006 K1200S
167 BHP @ 10,250 rpm
96 ft.lb. @ 8250 rpm
500 lbs. dry

So the GT already has more max torque that the LT, albeit at a higher rpm. The trick will be how flat the torque curve is, and how low it kicks in. I'm sure BMW can tune it any way they want (within reason), given the time and resources.

And I do not want a John Deere motor in the LT. If I did I'd buy a 'Wing. I'd rather have a Luxury Tourer bases on a sporting chassis than another Luxo-barge wallowing its way through the corners. I'd rather lose 100 lbs than add two pistons and the associated weight and bulk. Based on the most reliable rumors, I'd say BMW is heading in the right direction.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 3:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
From the Wolf BMW website:

2006 K1200LT
116 BHP @ 8000 rpm
88 ft.lb. @ 5250 rpm
779 lbs. dry

2006 K1200GT
152 BHP @ 9500 rpm
96 ft.lb. @ 9500 rpm
550 lbs. dry

2006 K1200S
167 BHP @ 10,250 rpm
96 ft.lb. @ 8250 rpm
500 lbs. dry

So the GT already has more max torque that the LT, albeit at a higher rpm. The trick will be how flat the torque curve is, and how low it kicks in. I'm sure BMW can tune it any way they want (within reason), given the time and resources.

And I do not want a John Deere motor in the LT. If I did I'd buy a 'Wing. I'd rather have a Luxury Tourer bases on a sporting chassis than another Luxo-barge wallowing its way through the corners. I'd rather lose 100 lbs than add two pistons and the associated weight and bulk. Based on the most reliable rumors, I'd say BMW is heading in the right direction.
I don't think it would be possible to lower that torque rating 3-4,000 RPM, without increasing the stroke. Gonna be interesting to see how they do whatever they have in store for us though. Those top torque ratings for the new K motor are at SCREAMING RPMs. Sure not something I would want on an LT replacement. Put one of those engines in an LT in present configuration, gear it low, and it would probably have a hard time getting a loaded LT moving comfortably without a lot of clutch slipping. Would probably be fun in the twisties once wound out though!

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #19 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 3:43 pm

Smile

Dave,

I have pertty good information that BMW will be using a company in Californai to produce the new engines valves. The company I know personally. They currently are the worlds leader in Titanium valve trains for the NASCAR, F1 and consumer high perfromance cars.

With this in mind, I think it safe to assume that a new K engine is in the works.

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #20 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Quote:
And I do not want a John Deere motor in the LT.
ken and david,

john deere, huh? LOL. go and catch a test ride on a rocket iii (i double-dawg dare ya) then come back and tell me the bike does not have the perfect touring motor. i'm tellin you guys .... triumph is developing a full-dress touring bike as we speak and if they fix a few issues (engine heat and making rear tires last), it is gonna change everything.

wait & see ...
post #21 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 4:14 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
But is the new Rocket Tourer still gonna be overweight and with minimal ground clearance? That's just not how I ride. I want a Luxury Sport Bike, really. Comfortable two-up on the slab, but still tons of fun on the twisty roads. The Rune has stump-pulling torque as well, but I'm not interested in one of those either.

I gotta test ride the new GT and see how that handles solo and two-up. They're getting closer . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #22 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 4:19 pm

Quote:
But is the new Rocket Tourer still gonna be overweight and with minimal ground clearance?
good points, ken. i prefer these characteristics too. i was referring only to the motor. in a perfect world the new LT would have BMW handling and rocket iii power. time will tell what the new triumph is like.

the rocket DOES have the potential to have good ground clearance, since it is a relatively narrow engine.
post #23 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 4:21 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
It'll be interesting whatever Triumph comes up with. Probably even worth a test ride. But I'm still waiting for '07 before making any serious decision.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #24 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 5:05 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit
ken and david,

john deere, huh? LOL. go and catch a test ride on a rocket iii (i double-dawg dare ya) then come back and tell me the bike does not have the perfect touring motor. i'm tellin you guys .... triumph is developing a full-dress touring bike as we speak and if they fix a few issues (engine heat and making rear tires last), it is gonna change everything.

wait & see ...
I was laughing when I posted that.

Yes the Rocket has gobs of power, but it also has gobs of DISPLACEMENT, and a LONG stroke, rather low rpm engine, and from what I have read not inspiring fuel effeciency. Personally, I don't want a 2 litre plus bike, neither do I want a high strung, temperamental F1 type engine.

I was really happy with the LT I had, but a little more power would be nice, just hope they come up with something more suited to the LT than the new K engines as they currently exist.

Besides, from the one side the Rocket III engine DOES look like a John Deere engine!

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #25 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 6:04 pm

New KLT

Conventional thinking is that only Honda can afford a separate engine for their tourer. But think about outsourcing it (Ala the F800). How about a narrow-angle V-6 around 1500 cc.?
post #26 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 5:36 am

I think BMW will also be thinking in terms of 6 forward gears instead of 5.
post #27 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 6:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Besides, from the one side the Rocket III engine DOES look like a John Deere engine!
I've said that from the very first time I saw the beast. The left side looks just like 1/2 of my dad's old Ford 9N. Ridiculous!

Funny though...with that monstrous 2300cc powerplant, the Rocket III still can't keep up with my measly 1100! In the twisties...or in a straight line. Frankly, what's the use? Other than a pure pissing contest winner. If displacement was the end-all...wouldn't we all be on Wings anyway?!
post #28 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 6:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Bob,

Your spies are telling you the same thing my spies are telling me. The next-gen LT will be based on the new 1200 engine and will be about 100 pounds lighter than the current LT (including fixed mount sidecases/topcases, and all the doodads).
Same thing I'm hearing.
post #29 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 8:43 am

What are the chances of it coming with an auto box? Or maybe as an option.

I'd buy one if it had a 6 speed auto with 'sport' mode like my 328i.
Someone has to do it sooner or later. They could provide it as an option to test the market.
post #30 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 2:35 pm

OK, I found the real info! It is none of what we thought, but a V8! Looks like the engine from my 740iL!

http://www.roadrunner-bikeshop.de/v8.htm

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #31 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 3:10 pm

Six gears would be nice but a range adjustment would be even nicer. More torque at the bottom and an overdrive gear that would put the RPMs somewhere around 2500 at 80mph.

My spy tells me BMW is developing an automatic transmission option but it is unclear when it will be ready or on which bike it will debut. There has been some speculation that it is being developed in conjunction with a smaller, 2 cylinder Rotax F600 powerplant for European and Asian distribution only. Scooter on steriods.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #32 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 3:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
Six gears would be nice but a range adjustment would be even nicer. More torque at the bottom and an overdrive gear that would put the RPMs somewhere around 2500 at 80mph. ----------.
It will take considerably more HP than the current model to get 80 mph at that low an RPM. Probably in the horsepower of the new K bikes, but at a much lower RPM, where the new K engine probably has less power than the current LT.

There is a trade-off when developing engines, either high horsepower at high RPM, or much higher torque at lower RPM. Without super/turbo charging, you just cannot have both at the same time.

Hmmmmm: Maybe BMW will lower the compression ratio of the new K engine and add a turbo/supercharger for the LT?

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #33 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 4:56 pm

With all the talk of the new LT possibly being supercharged or having a brand new BIGGER engine, where is the cut-off point between bike and automobile. Heck I thought the GL1800 to be just two additional wheels away from being an Accord.
post #34 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 4:57 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Hmmmmm: Maybe BMW will lower the compression ratio of the new K engine and add a turbo/supercharger for the LT?
Say it with me now: Kompressor! If Mercedes can do it, why not BMW?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #35 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 5:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
With all the talk of the new LT possibly being supercharged or having a brand new BIGGER engine, where is the cut-off point between bike and automobile. Heck I thought the GL1800 to be just two additional wheels away from being an Accord.
We would like more power, and lighter bike than the present LT. Adding a small turbo or super charger to a version of the new K engine would do that, and retain a sporty, powerful touring bike, lighter than the current LT, and certainly no heavier. So, we are not talking about a bulked up monster, with heavy and THIRSTY cubic inches, like the Wing or Rocket III.

BMW could possibly pull off a real coup here if they marry the components right. I think a sporty, well handling, less than 1400 CC, fully equiped touring bike, at less weight than the current LT with more power and better fuel economy than the newest Wing would be something to make people sit up and take notice.

I will not likely be getting one, but I sure am interested in seeing what they come up with. Just hope it does not take it's styling cues from that flat sided new GT!

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #36 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 6:07 pm
Old Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Same thing I'm hearing.
I have been sworn to secrecy and have FACTS but just to drop a carrot... I am positive your spies are wrong. I will also drop an additional bite... Someone here made a VERY good guess.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #37 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 6:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
I have been sworn to secrecy and have FACTS but just to drop a carrot... I am positive your spies are wrong. I will also drop an additional bite... Someone here made a VERY good guess.
Oh...you are EVIL!!!

(C'mon man. PM me!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in