K1200lt reviews - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 5:02 am Thread Starter

K1200lt reviews

Here are some links to some interesting reviews. For those shopping for a bike, it worth reading....for those already owning....equaly interesting reading.

http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/2005/78/review78.htm

http://www.bikebuyersguide.ie/articl...=review&ID=548
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 1:00 pm

Thanks. Just confirms how lucky we are.
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 1:28 pm

Found an error in the second part of the first link. The person states that the engine is a stressed member, but in fact it is not. The engine/tranny are suspended from the frame in rubber bushings. All the suspension components are attached directly to the main frame.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 1:58 pm

I don't quite understand the first reviewer's consternation about the braking ability when the engine is off. He seems very preoccupied with it, like it was the reason he dropped the bike after parking it on a slope. I coast unpowered out of my driveway every morning and I have no trouble using the front brake to control things. A very moderate grip is all that is needed.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 3:58 pm

Guess it is much like stopping your car when the engine is off. You just need to be aware of it and get used to it.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 8:00 pm
CWF

Hey David, I'm surprised you didn't hop all over another error in the first review (IYHO anyway) as follows (and I quote):

"In the wet I was glad of the Metzeler Marathon tyres' excellent grip."

Curtis
2006 K1200GT
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 9:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglenn1
I don't quite understand the first reviewer's consternation about the braking ability when the engine is off. He seems very preoccupied with it, like it was the reason he dropped the bike after parking it on a slope...
Yes, exactly. And even more questionable, given that he has owned an LT for several years. You'd think he would know how the brakes work, how the bike feels, etc.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 9 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 9:56 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I've noticed some reviewers feel they have to put in something negative, but they often don't want to annoy the manufacturers. So they come up with small things to complain about, then rave about everything else. The funny thing is when next year's (or a competitor's) model comes out, the first thing they usually do is point out all the original faults that they forgot to mention, then talk about how the newest version is so much better.

Just the way the system works, I guess. We're obviously biased here on this forum, but we'll also tell it like it is, warts and all.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 9:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWF
Hey David, I'm surprised you didn't hop all over another error in the first review (IYHO anyway) as follows (and I quote):

"In the wet I was glad of the Metzeler Marathon tyres' excellent grip."

I saw that, and snickered to myself. They surely have proven that they do not know all that much, which is pretty normal for magazine "testers".

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in