Maintainence K1200LT 99 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 20th, 2011, 7:06 pm Thread Starter

Post Maintainence K1200LT 99

Hello Group,

I had a generic question. Hopefully I might be able to explain the reasoning.

What do most of you spend annually on the upkeep of the K1200LT? I plan to use it for daily office commute (40 miles total) and 5-6 long distance tours annually. I plan to add approx. 15K miles a year.

My little research teaches me that the oil change is due every 3K miles (I plan to do this myself) and a major service every 12K miles (I will take it to a dealer for this). I live in Sacramento and it appears that A&S is a recommended dealership.

Thanks for your insight. I realize this question might be generic and might vary for each person but I want to know an approximate expense most of you face.

Amit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 20th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Re: Maintainence K1200LT 99

I do fluid changes, new plugs, new filters, and checking the "valve" gap in my garage, usually in Dec or Jan.

The only tools I had to buy for the LT came from an auto parts store, "cap" to remove the oil filter, and large allen wrench to remove the plug to drain the transmission.

But, I did buy speed bleeders to make changing the clutch and break lines easier.

Consider calling places you consider using and asking what their total price is for 12K and 24K maintanence.

If your 99 still has rubber brake lines, they will leak. I replaced mine with flex steel lines when the front line had a pin hole in it.

Your 99 and my 00 can with defective computer chips and a defective designed starter relay and without a crash pan for the trany. You will want to verify new ones have been installed.

Oh!! I almost forgot, the speedo, by design always reads 10% higher than your actual speed. However, the odometer is accurate.

There is an easy, but time consuming fix to get the speedo spot on. But, it involves soldering a tiny jumper wire connecting two point on a printed circuit board using miniature components--you need a low wattage iron with a small tip.

When you remove the tank to install a new fuel filter or when you pull the tank back to install a new air filter consider cleaning the speaker connectors with a cleaner and then using electrical grease on them before re connecting the plug and jack. Do the same for the rear speaker connections.

I finally got around to buying HID lights for the high and low beams; the LT low beam is good up to around 15 mph.

There is an odity when you disconnect the battery. When re connected, turn the key on, open and close the throttle two times, turn her of and then proceed to start her normally.

I also have a box PIAA lights to install at the same time.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #3 of 11 Old May 20th, 2011, 8:05 pm

All good information from posts so far, cost wasn't mentioned, If you take it to the dealer for the 12k service and say a set of tires, plan on spending $ 1300 to 1400 + or - depending on the dealer. That's the cost here in Washington state, you might want to consider working on it your self and plan on spending $ 250 in parts for your 12k services and order your tires from Southwest Moto Tires, for example Bridgestone BT020's front and rear tires delivered to your door for $ 270, and install your self or take the rims to a dealer to have tires mounted, this will cost any where from $ 20 to 40 per tire to install. Good luck with your decision and ride like you stole it.

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA

post #4 of 11 Old May 21st, 2011, 12:06 am

The recommended oil change interval is 6000 miles during normal use. 3000 miles might be about right if your 20 min commute each way is not freeway riding. It needs to get up to temp for a bit to burn out any water that may have condensed in the crankcase. We're not talking a lot of water here. I wouldn't think twice about 6K oil change intervals during your road trips. These engines go a LOT of miles when maintained according to schedule.

The 12K service really is no big deal. Order the DVD's from Paul Sayegh and the girl scout troop could do the service. It just takes a little time and care to make it happen. The DVD'S really will walk you through the process.

It is very satisfying to work your way through the service and know that you did the work yourself and saved a BUNCH of money in the process. Put the saved money in an account to cover any repairs that need to be done by the dealer.

Congrats on your new ride,

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTFan
Hello Group,

I had a generic question. Hopefully I might be able to explain the reasoning.

What do most of you spend annually on the upkeep of the K1200LT? I plan to use it for daily office commute (40 miles total) and 5-6 long distance tours annually. I plan to add approx. 15K miles a year.

My little research teaches me that the oil change is due every 3K miles (I plan to do this myself) and a major service every 12K miles (I will take it to a dealer for this). I live in Sacramento and it appears that A&S is a recommended dealership.

Thanks for your insight. I realize this question might be generic and might vary for each person but I want to know an approximate expense most of you face.

Amit.

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #5 of 11 Old May 21st, 2011, 8:12 am

Hi LTfan. I have no experience of the weather where you live but I live in the UK where it can be 90 degrees one minute and throwing it down the next. I have used my LT for a daily journey to work of 65 mile round trip for the last 3 years. The bike is easy to work on once all the plastic is removed. However I serviced her once a year but I use iridium spark plugs and fully synthetic oil. Expensive but it lengthens the service intervals. I usually did the servicing before a 3000 mile trip around France. In total i put on 16000 miles a year It is a 99 bike and I still have her and would not part with her. Give BMW their due they say the clutch will go at 60000 miles and it did, that was the biggest expense I have had.
The cheapest way is do your own!
post #6 of 11 Old May 21st, 2011, 10:38 am

Heres the $ amount I spend. Now I do about 35k a year. I do all oil changes at 10000. rear, trans, engine. Before everyone jumps up and down I have called numerous oil companies and all say the same thing, 3k oil change is to soon, not needed. 10K is fine. Thats about all you have to do. Everything else is just labor time. I use Redline in trans and rear. (heavyduty shockproof) Thats about 12$ a quart which lasts awhile. I Use castrol 4T semi syn oil 20w50 which runs 5$ quart. If you need to do the valve buckets change than it can get higher. But I have only had to change one complete set. You can usually find someone that will trade them. Sparkplugs about every 50k. They run about 6-7$ each. Everything else is a little snug here and there lube the moving stuff and off you go. Ride like you stole it. By the way I just passed 207K.
If you dont do the work yourself, then you will melt your credit card.LOL

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #7 of 11 Old May 21st, 2011, 10:48 pm

i am coming out of warranty on my 09 and plan to put $200/month into the budget...hopefully that will keep it on the road.
post #8 of 11 Old May 22nd, 2011, 2:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Heres the $ amount I spend. Now I do about 35k a year. I do all oil changes at 10000. rear, trans, engine. Before everyone jumps up and down I have called numerous oil companies and all say the same thing, 3k oil change is to soon, not needed. 10K is fine. Thats about all you have to do. Everything else is just labor time. I use Redline in trans and rear. (heavyduty shockproof) Thats about 12$ a quart which lasts awhile. I Use castrol 4T semi syn oil 20w50 which runs 5$ quart. If you need to do the valve buckets change than it can get higher. But I have only had to change one complete set. You can usually find someone that will trade them. Sparkplugs about every 50k. They run about 6-7$ each. Everything else is a little snug here and there lube the moving stuff and off you go. Ride like you stole it. By the way I just passed 207K.
If you dont do the work yourself, then you will melt your credit card.LOL

Zeke
What brand/type of spark plug do you use? Do the stock style plugs go 50K?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old May 22nd, 2011, 9:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
What brand/type of spark plug do you use? Do the stock style plugs go 50K?

I use the Bosch OEM. Most of my riding, 80%, Is highway. Maybe that makes the difference. I have tried other plug brands, but the bosch seem to run the best. I checked my records.
I try different things but I changed a set of splitfires at 44k, NGKs at 46k, I wanted to try the new E3 but those ran like crap so I went back to the Bosch which now have 40k on them, so they will need to be checked at the 210k mark. Dont due the math Im sure there is set in there i missed. The bike runs so good I just wait till the feel is wrong or the next oil change is due, when i check most everything anyways.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #10 of 11 Old May 22nd, 2011, 9:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
I use the Bosch OEM. Most of my riding, 80%, Is highway. Maybe that makes the difference. I have tried other plug brands, but the bosch seem to run the best. I checked my records.
I try different things but I changed a set of splitfires at 44k, NGKs at 46k, I wanted to try the new E3 but those ran like crap so I went back to the Bosch which now have 40k on them, so they will need to be checked at the 210k mark. Dont due the math Im sure there is set in there i missed. The bike runs so good I just wait till the feel is wrong or the next oil change is due, when i check most everything anyways.

Zeke
I have to admit that 12K changes seem way to soon for a modern engine, but I know the LT engine runs rich under certain conditions so I didn't know if that was the reason for the short 12K recommended plug replacement interval by BMW.

I bought a new set for my upcoming 24K service, but if they look decent I may well leave them in as it seems like 24K shouldn't be a stretch for a good plug.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #11 of 11 Old Jun 7th, 2011, 9:26 pm Thread Starter

Thanks All. I got the bike couple of weeks ago.

Break Fluid:
I was doing my routine check and realize that the rear break fluid is low. I got the motul from cycle gear for it.
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...em=PAR_MOT57_G

I am trying to search on instructions on changing break fluid. I would imagine its available on the forum, but I am unable to find it.

Misc Mainteinence:
Considering that the break fluid was low I would like to change all required fluids and plugs.

Spark Plugs - I got 4 of the NGK DCPR7EIX based on my little research on the forum.

Coolant - Is the SIERRA® Antifreeze/Coolant a good option for the coolant?

Transmission fluid - Any recommendations on the transmission fluid?

I believe this should cover most optional fluids and parts that generally need maintainence.
Am I missing anything?

Amit.

1996 Kinetic Pride 75cc - First motorized cycle at age 16.
2002 Yamaha Enticer 125cc - First brand new cycle bought from the first salary at age 20.
1984 Honda Shadow 1100cc
1999 BMW K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in