Mystery Electrical Connector - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 19th, 2011, 1:02 pm Thread Starter

Mystery Electrical Connector

Can anyone tell me please what this connector is for? The bike is a 1999 LT and the connector is mounted on the sub frame tube just behind the fuel pump connector, right hand side just below the fuel tank. The wires are Red, Yellow, Green to one side and thinner Yellow/Violet, Yellow, Brown to the other side.

I have the impression that when I took the plastic off (some time ago) the two halves were not connected.

I have connected them and run the engine (to heat up the oil for an oil change) and all seemed ok but as the wires are thinner on one side and not the same colours I'm wondering if it should be connected at all.

I've looked at the various wiring diagrams in the Clymer manual and can't find any clue there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 19th, 2011, 1:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Mystery Electrical Connector

Not positive what you're describing, wiring color-wise, but there is a connector for a spare power outlet on that side. That is, should you decide to purchase the plug holder and install.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #3 of 8 Old May 19th, 2011, 1:31 pm

Yep.. wiring for right side power outlet...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #4 of 8 Old May 19th, 2011, 1:46 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, but no, it's not for the power outlet, the power outlet plug has two wires red/yellow and brown and I have identified that.

The mystery one is both a plug and socket connector, if you have the Clymer book you can see it on page 240 figure 6.

Figure 6 shows the fuel pump connector and my mystery connector can be seen just to the upper left of it.
post #5 of 8 Old May 19th, 2011, 6:25 pm

Was reverse working ok? There is a Y, Y/V,BR shown in the wiring diagram for the reverse speed sensor. Odd that the colors would change at a connector.

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #6 of 8 Old May 19th, 2011, 10:03 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

It is the reverser speed sensor. The wires are smaller on the bike side and different colors. I just went out and looked at mine(it is apart for shock change).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 8 Old May 20th, 2011, 3:20 am Thread Starter

Thanks for your help guys, knowing that it should be connected has stopped me worrying about it, I was concerned that I might have connected two things that were not meant to be connected.

Bit of background regarding my old LT if anyone's interested:

The bike hasn't been on the road since the brake light failure some time ago (corroded connection now fixed) and I've finally got around to some servicing while the plastic is off.

This is my first attempt at servicing this bike and over head cams and bucket tappets are new to me so I've been putting it off. All filters changed now and I'm just about to re-fit the cams (only one bucket needed replacing).

As the ABS fault lights had recently come on when the bike was on the road I took the opportunity to fit the re-set wire in the ABS unit and it re-set OK but the fault code (using the meter method) said the unit itself is faulty so I've flushed some fresh fluid through (including the unit bleeders) but I'm not expecting the fault lights to stay off. If the fault does persist I plan to do an ABSectomy.

I've also noticed a slight corrosion weep on the core of the left rad, (does it ever end? No? thought not, ho hum). Hoping to be able to solder/braise that.

Thanks again to all. Great forum.
post #8 of 8 Old May 20th, 2011, 10:38 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by UACT
If the fault does persist I plan to do an ABSectomy.

Thanks again to all. Great forum.
No need to do that as a faulty ABS II unit is transparent to the brake process. You will see no difference in brake performance with it in or out. You just won't have the anti-lock feature (which you don't have with the fault anyway). Just disconnect the electrics to it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in