Looking for first LT...what are your opinons? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 19th, 2011, 3:42 am Thread Starter

Looking for first LT...what are your opinons?

This is my second year of riding motorcycles. I currently ride a Yamaha Roadliner, but I've been thinking that a sport tourer (i.e., not cruiser) may be more my style. This past Saturday I had the opportunity to test ride my first BMW, a R1200RT. A fantastic bike, which I thoroughly enjoyed. My question is this: I've been looking for a used BMW, and found a listing for a 2003 K1200LTE for $4400,
"The tires were both replaced last November and are about 70% good
Brake pads are shot but ive a new set for front and rear
needs a 12k service (fluids etc) and this is the ONLY reason I have priced it so low below book. If you do your own service you can save a bundle
Have a rebuilt final drive as a spare (in case the one on the bike goes bad)
New battery
. Nothing really wrong with the bike and its never been wrecked but it has fallen over on the right side due to uneven ground and high winds (slight scratches in the rear right bumper). I can no longer ride due to a back injury. This bike has been my main form of transportation for the last 2 years and has preformed flawlessly. "

Does this sound reasonable or fishy?

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 19th, 2011, 6:48 am

Re: Looking for first LT...what are your opinons?

See if you can get the service records and maybe run it by a reliable service facility. How many miles? When was the last brake flush?

I might be interested if you are not! I have a K1600 on order that might be late.

Sounds like a pretty good deal!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 8 Old May 19th, 2011, 7:06 am

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds pretty good to me. One of our members, Loren, is in Vancover WA and probably would be happy to advise you.

Is the bike local to you? The LT is a big step up, but you can't beat it for the long haul. I kind of wish I still had my RT in the stable for shorter runs.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

post #4 of 8 Old May 19th, 2011, 10:57 am

Welcome to the forums Snowplow.
I'm assuming the text in blue is from the seller?
I got my 03 LT two years ago for $7,400, and thought I got a steal. Lacking in the mechanical department, I took it to a dealership and I now have another $4500 into it. I now know that either this bike is going to make me poor, or I am going to have to learn how to do some of my own maintenance. I do love the bike though. I have a friend familiar with BMW's that told me to get a RT, but I wouldn't listen. If I had to do it all over again I would listen to him this time because I don't do much cross country riding and the long rides that I do are solo.

I would say 4400 is probably a good deal, probably well below book especially for a LTE, but be prepared to have to invest more in it- a little if you can do the wrenching, alot if you can't. Mine needed a numerous fixes or so the dealership told me, to include new rear shock, and driveshaft, and so many more that I'd have to get the work order out to list them all. The key is being a DIYer and this forum

2003 Silver K1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old May 19th, 2011, 12:49 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your input.

I haven't riden an LT, so I'm not certain it's the bike for me. The one on craigslist, sounds like it needs quite a bit of attention, and that could be why the price is so low. And I'm not sure how much work I'd be able to perform on my own. I am not mechanically challenged, but motorcycles are new to me, and I'm not sure how much work I can actually perform on one without messing it up.

The bike is not very local; just within the same state. So, it's accessible if I can get someone to go with me.

I really loved riding the new R1200RT, but can't justify the $20000+ they're asking for it.
post #6 of 8 Old May 19th, 2011, 1:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowplow
Thanks for all of your input.

I haven't riden an LT, so I'm not certain it's the bike for me. The one on craigslist, sounds like it needs quite a bit of attention, and that could be why the price is so low. And I'm not sure how much work I'd be able to perform on my own. I am not mechanically challenged, but motorcycles are new to me, and I'm not sure how much work I can actually perform on one without messing it up.

The bike is not very local; just within the same state. So, it's accessible if I can get someone to go with me.

I really loved riding the new R1200RT, but can't justify the $20000+ they're asking for it.
Sounds like you really like the RT, why not consider a used one?

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #7 of 8 Old May 19th, 2011, 2:43 pm

That is too cheap, so it does make me suspicious. Maybe it's just someone trying to get cash fast, but my guess is he may know something is having an issue.

Quote:
Sounds like you really like the RT, why not consider a used one?
I agree. Great bike, lots of used ones for sale.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #8 of 8 Old May 19th, 2011, 3:55 pm

Richard, I found the ad on Craigslist but unfortunately there are no pics. If you are interested in considering the bike contact the seller and get the following info:

Mileage: High mileage is OK on these things as long as they are maintained

Service record: Did he do his own maintenance or was it done by the dealer. If the dealer did the service you can get the records from their computer. You will need the serial number to get the service records.

Brake pads are no big deal to replace on an '03. Easier than doing it on a car and non-BMW pads are less expensive, perform as well and don't make noise. You want to know if there is any damage to the brake rotors as they are EXPENSIVE! You might want to ask him if the rear rotor is making noise like a cow bell. Not a safety issue but annoying.

The fall over damage, (slight scratches in the rear right bumper), is certainly no big deal. And reasonable to have occurred considering where it's at. The wind doth blow over there. And blow and blow and blow and blow. And hard!

The 12,000 mile service is easy to do and if you do it yourself it's very inexpensive. Depending on the mileage, and the verifiable service history you might want to do a 24,000 mile service just to make sure everything is up to snuff. The air filter, especially considering where it is located, should be checked. This is pretty major dis-assembly in order to get to it but certainly can be done by the owner.

$4400 for a running '03 LT is a very good price.

PM me if you want to touch bases or if you want to see one torn down for fuel/air filter replacement. Mine is on the lift as I write. I'm also taking the opportunity to do a few extra things on it while it is down.

If you are interested you had better jump on it. The price is very good. I would love to go with you to look at it but I work at SWMC and I'm scheduled to work four 12 hour shifts in a row starting tonight. I will do what I can to evaluate the bike including talking to the owner if it would help. I have relatives who live there who could at least verify how it looks and that it does in fact exist.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in